Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2020, 11:57 AM

4,043 posts, read 3,770,251 times

Advertisements

My bf works in the office part of a hospital. They were really good about keeping Covid out since its outbreak but someone caught it in the hospital wing recently and it's been spreading like a wildfire. He works in a different wing but in the same building so they share the same air. He was able to work from home last week but the higher ups are having everyone go back in next week despite the spread, despite the governor asking everyone to work from home if possible. I wish they could enforce that for workplaces with stagnant policies or we could report them. His job doesn't require him to go in to do the work but his boss and upper management have old-school beliefs about only staying home if they're sick. My bf said he and his coworkers are trying to fight it but if they don't win, they'll have to go in. I know that a lot of doctors and nurses got fired for speaking up about not getting the proper PPE during the shortage so I feel he and his team have very little power.

He said he'll be careful and get tested regularly but at its rate of how fast it's spreading, it's making me worried. I pretty much only see him once a week on the weekends. I was thinking of just seeing him on Sundays and not staying the night to give some time from when he's been in the building. I'm young and generally healthy so I'm not too worried about myself. I live with my brother but we're in and out at different times so I don't see him that often. I'm more worried about my 6 year old niece who we get on the weekends. I see her for a little bit most weekends but she does get pretty close to me and hugs me. I'm trying to decide what to do. If my bf and I quarantine from each other, I don't know for how long. I read that if you could circulate the air indoors, it lowers the risk. They have to have masks on all the time too but now I'm reading this mutated strain is finding its way past masks and hand washing. I could wear a mask around my niece since I mostly just see her for a little bit before leaving to his place. Or I could just quarantine from her but who knows how long this is going to last...

What else can we do to keep everyone safe? Maybe I could buy my bf an air purifier for his desk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2020, 12:12 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
This is awful & so sorry this is happening & I wouldn't like this AT ALL. I'd be scared tooo. Getting COVID's no joke! I'd want to quit, but I'd make them let me go so I can then apply for UI (unemployment). In the meantime, I'd look for other work w/ more leniency on working from home.

Otherwise, sure, do all you can...more mask-wearing, air purifiers, eliminate all visitors & visiting others, etc. I have 2 purifiers in my apt...1 in the main room & another I just got for my bedroom. I seem to like the LEVOIT brand that seems good, but doesn't cost an arm & a leg. Here's their official site, but they sell them on Amazon, Bed Bath & Beyond, etc. & maybe for cheaper:

https://www.levoit.com/

Can't you cut back on your niece visiting &/or even stop for a while? Does she have to come over every weekend? I wouldn't want to put her at risk.

I'd be very careful around your BF. It will take extra time & hassle, but I hope you guys thought for him to do these things if he MUST go into work:

- the moment he comes home from work everyday, leave his shoes outside to air out, immediately take off work clothes, & jump in the shower. Only wear all outside clothing ONE time these days.

- also once home, wipe down keys, lightswitches, faucet handles, doorknobs, anything else he just touched when he got home, etc. & anything else he has to wear to & from work that can be wiped with ALCOHOL

- limit yourself from visiting him &/or spending the night

Have you heard of Jillian Michaels? She's this celebrity personal trainer. She got COVID & said how she slipped up & had her hairstylist &/or makeup artist come to her house for ONE HOUR & that's how she caught it. Having a hairstylist, etc. coming to the house doesn't mean squat. Yeah, after they worked w/ their 20+ other clients on their hair too.

Then have you heard of the ASYMPTOMATIC people in which they show zero symptoms (not even fevers), but they're really ill & will transmit COVID to God knows who because they "think" they're fine so they're out & about at stores, people's homes, etc. They're the ones to really worry about. It's like they're the invisible COVID spreaders, but no one knows which ones they are out there.

Old 09-26-2020, 01:35 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Unfortunately you are now at great risk too since your boyfriend could catch it, and spread it to you asymptomatically. I would suggest that both of you try to get tested regularly.

Other than that, there's not much you can do. Until there is a vaccine, the virus will continue to spread rapidly when there are outbreaks.

The normal precautions- masks, cleaning surfaces, hand-washing, air filters are good. No matter what strain/mutation, masks are still better than no mask. Based on the simple laws of physics, if they are covering your nose/mouth, they are going to impede more than if there was nothing covering. N95's are the best, and can actually filter out infectious aerosol, if you can get a hold of any.

Old 09-28-2020, 06:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
This is awful & so sorry this is happening & I wouldn't like this AT ALL. I'd be scared tooo. Getting COVID's no joke! I'd want to quit, but I'd make them let me go so I can then apply for UI (unemployment). In the meantime, I'd look for other work w/ more leniency on working from home.

Otherwise, sure, do all you can...more mask-wearing, air purifiers, eliminate all visitors & visiting others, etc. I have 2 purifiers in my apt...1 in the main room & another I just got for my bedroom. I seem to like the LEVOIT brand that seems good, but doesn't cost an arm & a leg. Here's their official site, but they sell them on Amazon, Bed Bath & Beyond, etc. & maybe for cheaper:

https://www.levoit.com/

Can't you cut back on your niece visiting &/or even stop for a while? Does she have to come over every weekend? I wouldn't want to put her at risk.

I'd be very careful around your BF. It will take extra time & hassle, but I hope you guys thought for him to do these things if he MUST go into work:

- the moment he comes home from work everyday, leave his shoes outside to air out, immediately take off work clothes, & jump in the shower. Only wear all outside clothing ONE time these days.

- also once home, wipe down keys, lightswitches, faucet handles, doorknobs, anything else he just touched when he got home, etc. & anything else he has to wear to & from work that can be wiped with ALCOHOL

- limit yourself from visiting him &/or spending the night

Have you heard of Jillian Michaels? She's this celebrity personal trainer. She got COVID & said how she slipped up & had her hairstylist &/or makeup artist come to her house for ONE HOUR & that's how she caught it. Having a hairstylist, etc. coming to the house doesn't mean squat. Yeah, after they worked w/ their 20+ other clients on their hair too.

Then have you heard of the ASYMPTOMATIC people in which they show zero symptoms (not even fevers), but they're really ill & will transmit COVID to God knows who because they "think" they're fine so they're out & about at stores, people's homes, etc. They're the ones to really worry about. It's like they're the invisible COVID spreaders, but no one knows which ones they are out there.
What a problem some are facing, but some jobs have to continue. Our granddaughter is a nurse practitioner and was telling me last night: the good news is: for those who are asymptomatic studies seem to be showing, more and more, they are most likely not contagious or certainly not like those with symptoms. It makes good sense to me.

Old 10-01-2020, 03:47 AM

7,238 posts, read 5,114,062 times
The problem is being blown way out of proportion by those with a political agenda, and by the bureaucratic medical community whose success rate is determined by the mis-interpretation of the data. (If infection rates are low, they must be doing a good job.)

Facts: ~ 1 in 10,000 Americans will die this year in auto accidents.....~1 in 330,000 Americans under the age of 25, and ~ 1 in 100,000 Americans between 24 & 45 yrs old who have contacted CoV have died from it....Another metric for comparison-- ~ 6 in 10,000 Americans come down with leukemia each year.

If you jump in your car without undue anxiety, and you're under 45, you should be 10-33x less anxious about contacting CoV.

Old 10-01-2020, 04:09 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
I work in the social sector, with MANY probabilities of contracting it.
Maintain distance
Proper hand sanitizing.
Mask ( sterile and properly fitted)
Vitamin D.

His awareness and diligence will be of help.

As My boss says- Assume the person that approaches has it, how will you maintain? Answer: Distance....lots of it!

I'm realistic in that it does exist and its deadly. I don't down play it. I work towards minimizing reception of it.

Old 10-02-2020, 08:56 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriella Geramia View Post
My bf works in the office part of a hospital. They were really good about keeping Covid out since its outbreak but someone caught it in the hospital wing recently and it's been spreading like a wildfire. He works in a different wing but in the same building so they share the same air. He was able to work from home last week but the higher ups are having everyone go back in next week despite the spread, despite the governor asking everyone to work from home if possible. I wish they could enforce that for workplaces with stagnant policies or we could report them. His job doesn't require him to go in to do the work but his boss and upper management have old-school beliefs about only staying home if they're sick. My bf said he and his coworkers are trying to fight it but if they don't win, they'll have to go in. I know that a lot of doctors and nurses got fired for speaking up about not getting the proper PPE during the shortage so I feel he and his team have very little power.

He said he'll be careful and get tested regularly but at its rate of how fast it's spreading, it's making me worried. I pretty much only see him once a week on the weekends. I was thinking of just seeing him on Sundays and not staying the night to give some time from when he's been in the building. I'm young and generally healthy so I'm not too worried about myself. I live with my brother but we're in and out at different times so I don't see him that often. I'm more worried about my 6 year old niece who we get on the weekends. I see her for a little bit most weekends but she does get pretty close to me and hugs me. I'm trying to decide what to do. If my bf and I quarantine from each other, I don't know for how long. I read that if you could circulate the air indoors, it lowers the risk. They have to have masks on all the time too but now I'm reading this mutated strain is finding its way past masks and hand washing. I could wear a mask around my niece since I mostly just see her for a little bit before leaving to his place. Or I could just quarantine from her but who knows how long this is going to last...

What else can we do to keep everyone safe? Maybe I could buy my bf an air purifier for his desk?
Are they not disinfecting his office?

Old 10-02-2020, 08:58 AM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times
How old is he? The survival rate is 99%.

Make sure he is taking Vitamin D and C and relax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness