Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2020, 09:06 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,144,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Maybe so, but nobody likes re-breathing of even a small portion of his/her own breath; they don't call it "fresh air" for no reason.

Masks were a fast response to a not-yet-defined threat; as we've learned more about that threat, we can do more about it, while reserving the right to make our own decisions, in most cases.

But there is a minority within our society who are convinced that we're not capable of that, and they want more help from Big Brother / Sister; they resent and fear the freedoms many of us cherish -- and upon which the American experiment was founded and nurtured.

"My mask protects you; your mask protects me"; a typical empty platitude; a simple "answer" for those obsessed with a level of security that can never be obtained in a world full of fallible human beings.

Sooner or later, we are going to have to develop a more common-sensible approach to a threat which has been blown out of proportion for political and ideological purposes.
Have you taken a good look at society lately?
I'm not at all convinced that many people are capable of making good choices without intervention. As a society we really don't seem to be doing a good job.

Old 10-04-2020, 09:16 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
And you know damned well that the overwhelming majority of that 200,000 had other pre-existing conditions,

or had other predispositions (Ex: eight itinerant workers sharing a room intended for two or three) and habits which increased the risks of contacting COVID.

Get off your high horse and stop peddling your half-truths.
Pre existing conditions are the reason we should be masking up and protecting those around us. They are the most vulnerable. How hard is it to wear a mask? Not hard at all and it protects others. You are selfish. I hope you do not leave your house.

And learn to discern facts from fiction.

Old 10-04-2020, 09:17 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,571,141 times
Wear masks, wash hands, and stay away from crowds so businesses and schools can open up. Is it any more difficult than that? That's why the Asian countries are so far ahead of the US. They've gone through this with SARS and Asian Flu. It's sad that people who are responsible for spreading the disease have to constantly spread disinformation to deflect responsibility. With or without a lockdown, businesses, schools, and churches will shut down when hot spots materialized like the recent one in Brooklyn where 700 people have died.

Old 10-04-2020, 09:32 AM

4,948 posts, read 3,053,228 times
https://www.who.int/airpollution/ambient/en/
Tell you what, I'll wear a mask when the rest of you stop driving vehicles causing 4.2 million deaths/annually; mainly in the form of cancers.
Deal?

I keep hearing how selfish we are, yet nobody wants to modify their own lifestyles for a much greater problem than a minor pandemic.

Old 10-04-2020, 09:47 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Have you taken a good look at society lately?
I'm not at all convinced that many people are capable of making good choices without intervention. As a society we really don't seem to be doing a good job.
And if that "minority of fools" isn't capable of making rational choices, the proper thing to do is to carefully identify them (using lenient standards) and exclude the most abusive and dangerous from participating in the democratic process; don't punish everybody for the abuses of a few.

In some parts of Europe during the Middle Ages, there was an event known as the Feast of Fools; the local nobility would round up the village idiots, and appoint them to supposed positions of power for the day. This little instance of "Devil's Advocacy" (usually conducted in the dead of winter) was usually enough to convince the peasantry of who was more capable of running things.

Old 10-04-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
And if that "minority of fools" isn't capable of making rational choices, the proper thing to do is to carefully identify them (using lenient standards) and exclude the most abusive and dangerous from participating in the democratic process; don't punish everybody for the abuses of a few.

In some parts of Europe during the Middle Ages, there was an event known as the Feast of Fools; the local nobility would round up the village idiots, and appoint them to supposed positions of power for the day. This little instance of "Devil's Advocacy" (usually conducted in the dead of winter) was usually enough to convince the peasantry of who was more capable of running things.
Carefully IDENTIFY them? So much for freedom eh? Or only when the freedom is for you to do as you wish and the heck with the freedom of others to be as foolish or detrimental to society as they deem proper? You don't think those fools feel they have a right to do what they do, just as you do?

Old 10-04-2020, 09:59 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Pre existing conditions are the reason we should be masking up and protecting those around us. They are the most vulnerable. How hard is it to wear a mask? Not hard at all and it protects others. You are selfish. I hope you do not leave your house.

And learn to discern facts from fiction.
Or those who are concerned for their OWN health should take all necessary precautions to protect THEMSELVES.

Why is their lack of personal responsibility everyone else's problem?

It's like saying other people are prohibited from driving because a certain group refuses to wear seatbelts. it's idiotic. Your lack of personal responsibility is not anyone else's fault but your own. If YOU are afraid YOU will get sick it is YOU that needs to stay home.

Knew a women years ago who was terrified of 12-inch birds. Should every zoo in the US get rid of all their bird exhibits to protect HER? Or should SHE just not go to the zoo?

Old 10-04-2020, 10:03 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
They are the most vulnerable. How hard is it to wear a mask? Not hard at all and it protects others. I hope you do not leave your house.
And just how long do you expect these restrictions to remain in place, in a pursuit of (unattainable) absolute security

Quote:
You are selfish.
And, contrary to Ayn Rand's thinking, I don't see selfishness as an absolute virtue. But every benefit and amenity we enjoy today was made possible by people acting in their own (enlightened) self-interest -- regulated and guided by the free exchange of human opinion known as the democratic process.

Have you got a better way?

Old 10-04-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Or those who are concerned for their OWN health should take all necessary precautions to protect THEMSELVES.

It's like saying other people are prohibited from driving because a certain group refuses to wear seatbelts. it's idiotic. Your lack of personal responsibility is not anyone else's fault but your own. If YOU are afraid YOU will get sick it is YOU that needs to stay home.

Knew a women years ago who was terrified of 12-inch birds. Should every zoo in the US get rid of all their bird exhibits to protect HER? Or should SHE just not go to the zoo?
You don't seem to have a good grasp of science there. Fear is not contagious, neither is stupidity. Don't wear a seatbelt you hurt yourself only. You think maybe there's a reason we make people take a driving exam, or why we try to keep drunks off the road?
People concerned for their own health do take precautions to protect themselves. They also understand that if other people take a VERY simple, inexpensive precaution it lowers the risk even further.

Old 10-04-2020, 10:07 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,227,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post

Seatbelts? Really?

I could care less if you die in a car wreck because YOU chose not to wear a seat belt...

Doesn't affect me in the least (other than potentially raising my car insurance rates)

Refusing to wear a mask doesn't just affect YOU however, that is the whole point of wearing masks..

To protect OTHERS

If YOU refuse to wear a mask and YOU infect me or my loved ones then it is MY problem...a problem caused by YOU

Why is that so hard to understand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness