Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2020, 10:12 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,335,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Carefully IDENTIFY them? So much for freedom eh? Or only when the freedom is for you to do as you wish and the heck with the freedom of others to be as foolish or detrimental to society as they deem proper? You don't think those fools feel they have a right to do what they do, just as you do?
Every society has rules, and a set of standards by which those rules are enforced. Violations of those rules have consequences, as determined through the rule of law. and as overseen by a (theoretically) impartial court system A criminal trial is nothing more than a legal action whereby the state sues a wrong-doer for correction of his wrongs -- via forfeiture of property, liberty, and in rare cases, his/her life itself.

Old 10-04-2020, 10:14 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Every society has rules, and a set of standards by which those rules are enforced. Violations of those rules have consequences. A criminal trial is nothing more than a legal action whereby the state sues a wrong-doer for correction of his wrongs -- via forfeiture of property, liberty, and in rare cases, his/her life itself.
Like rules have been implemented for mask? Sidestepping the point.

Old 10-04-2020, 10:21 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Seatbelts? Really?

I could care less if you die in a car wreck because YOU chose not to wear a seat belt...

Doesn't affect me in the least (other than potentially raising my car insurance rates)

Refusing to wear a mask doesn't just affect YOU however, that is the whole point of wearing masks..

To protect OTHERS

If YOU refuse to wear a mask and YOU infect me or my loved ones then it is MY problem...a problem caused by YOU

Why is that so hard to understand?
It’s not hard and even the anti maskers understand. They just don’t care. If you die from their selfishness, oh well shrug will be their response. In their opinions, their right to not wear a mask trumps your right to live.

Old 10-04-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Like rules have been implemented for mask? Sidestepping the point.
COVID came at us from out if nowhere (or maybe, a laboratory in China; you can believe whatever theory you prefer). We had no choice but to make up our own rules as things unfolded -- and masks were the most effective defense at the time.

But we're beginning to clarify how COVID is spread, and what actions and practices pose the greatest threat, and to exactly whom, as opposed to the Great Myth of some "greater common good" which is most closely espoused by those who are afraid of freedom -- especially somebody else's.

Old 10-04-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
It’s not hard and even the anti maskers understand. They just don’t care. If you die from their selfishness, oh well shrug will be their response. In their opinions, their right to not wear a mask trumps your right to live.
Please stop your over-simplification and demonization of everyone who doesn't see things as you do. I've been wearing a mask for most activities in public since the first guidelines were formulated, and when I shop, I'm on someone else's property -- [u]so I acknowledge his/her right to set the rules. But we've begun to better-define the conditions under which COVID is transmitted, and just as those rules can be strengthened where a threat is identified, they can be relaxed in areas where this conditions don't exist.

Pleas take your "greater common good" argument somewhere else -- our nation was built by people who questioned, and often fled from the abuse of authority.

Old 10-04-2020, 11:17 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Facts don't care about your feelings.

We are being lied to, one way or another. And anyone actually looking at the facts? Knows this.

Old 10-04-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
People concerned for their own health do take precautions to protect themselves. They also understand that if other people take a VERY simple, inexpensive precaution it lowers the risk even further.
Well, no.

If people were actually taking real precautions for their own health? They wouldn't give a sh-t what I was doing.

That's how personal responsibility works. It's PERSONAL.

Old 10-04-2020, 11:48 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Well, no.

If people were actually taking real precautions for their own health? They wouldn't give a sh-t what I was doing.

That's how personal responsibility works. It's PERSONAL.
Except you don't live in a bubble where your actions have no effect on others. I COULD wrap myself up in a hazmat suit for the rest of my life and you'd be satisfied that I'd taken responsibility for myself, but that's not how society works. As long as you are a member of society your actions ARE the concern of others. Now if you're willing to shut yourself away so that you actually don't affect anyone else, well that's a different story.

Old 10-04-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Except you don't live in a bubble where your actions have no effect on others. I COULD wrap myself up in a hazmat suit for the rest of my life and you'd be satisfied that I'd taken responsibility for myself, but that's not how society works. As long as you are a member of society your actions ARE the concern of others. Now if you're willing to shut yourself away so that you actually don't affect anyone else, well that's a different story.
Wrong. If someone is so sick that they will die of COVID should they get infected, they should stay home. They shod take every precaution they can to protect themselves.

If they CHOOSE to put themselves in harm's way that is THEIR choice. Not mine.

We all have choices to make the it comes to personal responsibility. It's personal.

I realize it is hard to understand in today's me me me/I'm a victim culture.

I don't expect anyone to protect me. And as long as society 'works' it means you need to protect you. Because no one else knows what your problems and risks are except you.

Old 10-04-2020, 12:48 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
I can tell you that exercising with a mask on is more difficult, for me at least. When I was wearing a full mask while working out, I was having trouble catching my breath and needed more time between routines than without the mask. Wearing it below my nose helps.

I don't find the mask to be a problem at all with normal levels of exertion, so I wear one when I need to. But it does make working out more difficult for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness