Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2020, 09:05 AM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times

Advertisements

I am set to donate blood this Friday for the first time in my life.

Has anyone had any issues doing so? I am travelling over an hour by car alone to do so...and will be working that day.

Is there anything I can do ahead of time to make sure I don't have any issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2020, 10:12 AM

1,462 posts, read 971,912 times
I have donated blood regularly since they come to my work every quarter. I have not had any issues with the process. Since it’s your first time I would say that be sure to drink plenty of water and eat some of the snacks they should offer you post donation. They will keep you there for about 15 minutes afterwards to make sure you’re feeling okay. A co-worker was lightheaded after she donated and they had her lie down and monitored her longer than 15 minutes. If you don’t feel right after the 15 minutes, be sure to let the staff know and don’t drive. Also make sure you don’t do any strenuous activities after. I usually exercise before giving blood and would not exercise after. I do go back to work, but it’s not any strenuous activity. Again drink plenty of fluids afterwards.

Old 10-04-2020, 11:00 AM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Thank you for donating blood. Many local blood drives have been cancelled but the need for blood continues.

Based on blood type, people may donate whole blood, platelets, plasma, or double red blood cells.

Blood is a renewable source of life, but can only come from one source: a motivated blood donor.

Thank you again.

Old 10-04-2020, 11:04 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
I have donated often. Sometimes I do get lightheaded afterwards, so my DH always take me back & forth. Make sure you are well hydrated before the donation, lots of water & maybe a short walk before the donation, to get the blood flowing.It doesn't hurt at all, & it will be over before you know it

Old 10-04-2020, 12:27 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times
Eat a good meal beforehand and drink plenty of fluids. I've always driven myself there and back (a few times i bicycled!). If you have borderline low BP (I do), take your time getting up afterwards.

If you're healthy this should have no ill effects- I'm 67 and after my last donation, which was last week, I did a full gym workout the next day and rode my bike 20 mile the day after that.

Old 10-09-2020, 10:23 AM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times
So I went today and I had zero ill effects. I feel a bit tired but -- who knows the reason for that.

I got some bonuses. They took my BP before taking my blood. I have had a hard time getting that done because my doctor and her "group" have switched to the machines, and IMHO they are always wrong. Bp was fine. 120/80. My last machine reading was 136/90.

And they said my prior testing came back negative for anything they tested for. Good to know.

Old 10-09-2020, 11:06 AM

1,462 posts, read 971,912 times
Nice to hear and thanks for donating. So many folks need the blood.

Old 10-11-2020, 06:19 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
If you are over 110 lbs, and healthy, you should have no issues. It's easy....If you are underweight, or dehydrated, you could get dizzy afterwards. Make sure to hydrate prior to donating.

Old 10-11-2020, 06:22 PM

798 posts, read 502,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I am set to donate blood this Friday for the first time in my life.

Has anyone had any issues doing so? I am travelling over an hour by car alone to do so...and will be working that day.

Is there anything I can do ahead of time to make sure I don't have any issues?
Why don't you just donate money instead?

You can pick your disaster and more!

https://www.redcross.org/donate/donation.html/

(that is what I did on this fine Sunday)

Old 10-11-2020, 06:30 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redflag71 View Post
Why don't you just donate money instead?

You can pick your disaster and more!

https://www.redcross.org/donate/donation.html/

(that is what I did on this fine Sunday)
Money helps financial overhead, and thank you.

However, people need blood, and there is as yet no substitute for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness