Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 03:04 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times

Advertisements

My husband was scheduled to get a tooth capped at the end of March before we were all plunged into the COVID nightmare. He recently got in touch with the dentist's office because they never let him know they were open again. He made an appt. to get the cap on his tooth at the end of the month.

Also, last spring his annual appt. with the opthalmologist got cancelled. Meanwhile his eyesight was worsening to the point where he needs new glasses. Again, he called the medical center and the opthalmologist is now back. Thus, he has an appt. at the end of the month.

For those of you who have been to the dentist since COVID came along, did you feel comfortable going? Also, do you have any advice as to how to keep yourself safe during the appt.?

And for those who have had eye exams since COVID came along, how comfortable did you feel having the exam done? And any advice when it comes to keeping yourself safe?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2020, 04:09 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Went to the dentist twice...once for an exam, then a filling. Felt entirely safe. Their procedures were very precise and they emailed me a copy when the appointment was made. Had to get a Covid-19 quick test 48 hours before. Arrived at the office and waited in the car until they called my phone. Temp check at the door, wore a mask while walking through to the exam room and gargled with an antiseptic rinse before I was touched. Everyone was in protective gear (gloves, shields and masks for hygenist/dentist) including the desk staffers. Plexiglas shields around the front desk. Exam room shelves were cleared of "decor", magazines, product advertising, etc.

Old 10-05-2020, 04:21 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
No problem here with either. Dentist was also twice for exam and then filling. Eye doctor was this morning (regular annual exam-no change).

Both followed the recommended protocols (a couple questions about "Have you been exposed?" [getting my driver's license renewed had more questions before being allowed in the building] and a temperature check).

I'm surprised that they didn't at least email you that they were taking patients again, especially since a procedure had already been scheduled. My dentist was on that immediately.

Old 10-05-2020, 04:38 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
I went to the dentist 3 weeks ago, and the eye doctor just today. Both appointments were scheduled before the shutdown in March. A temperature check and mask at the eye doctor, and a mask just to walk in the door at the dentist. Neither appointment caused any concern. I knew I wasn't sick, and the doctors were masked.

Old 10-05-2020, 06:00 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Thank you, everybody!

North Beach --- I told my husband that when he called the dentist office, he should have asked them how long they had been open and why wasn't he notified. If it were me, I would have asked. All this time we thought they were closed because no one got in touch.

Old 10-06-2020, 05:34 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
I have no problems with going to the doctor right now. Our dentist did close for awhile, but has been open for quite awhile. I had my teeth cleaned as did my husband about a month ago and now, I am having a tooth pulled next week. Hubby has had his eyes tested since the start of all this crap.

Old 10-06-2020, 06:12 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
Firstly, I'll say myself & my immediate loved ones take COVID VERY seriously & try to do the minimal possible these last almost 7 mos. So yes, we're nervous about having to go to doctors too these days.

My Mom has a cavity that she's been trying her best to take care of herself & keep at bay. She had made an appt for the dentist (for what would have been today, 10/6 actually) but ended up canceling it yesterday. The way that particular dentist seemed, they're doing ALL they can to keep people safe, so if my Mom absolutely had to go in...well, not that she still wouldn't be nervous, because she'd have no choice if things got bad w/ her cavity, so she'd just have to keep praying & do it.

I know I sure don't feel like doing to ANY doctors, despite that I'm sure I need the following by now:

- teeth cleaning
- mammogram

I have a phone appt w/ my pulmonologist for tomorrow that I think I'll cancel because things have gotten better since I made the appt last week.

My fiance' doesn't even want to go to the barbershop to get his hair cut & I don't blame him. I'd just have to let my hair grow longer, like what he's doing now.

Old 10-06-2020, 07:29 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,502,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
My husband was scheduled to get a tooth capped at the end of March before we were all plunged into the COVID nightmare. He recently got in touch with the dentist's office because they never let him know they were open again. He made an appt. to get the cap on his tooth at the end of the month.

Also, last spring his annual appt. with the opthalmologist got cancelled. Meanwhile his eyesight was worsening to the point where he needs new glasses. Again, he called the medical center and the opthalmologist is now back. Thus, he has an appt. at the end of the month.

For those of you who have been to the dentist since COVID came along, did you feel comfortable going? Also, do you have any advice as to how to keep yourself safe during the appt.?

And for those who have had eye exams since COVID came along, how comfortable did you feel having the exam done? And any advice when it comes to keeping yourself safe?

Thank you.
I had an eye exam near the height of the pandemic in June. (Necessary: indication of a retinal tear which could lead to blindness if not caught in time; fortunately, it turned out to be nothing.)

I felt safe. They were scheduling only two patients at a time, and the doctor was wearing a mask AND a face shield. I too was of course wearing a face mask. The retinal exam itself took about 90 seconds.

All turned out well.

Old 10-06-2020, 07:59 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,051,409 times
I've been to the dentist 3 times since they re-opened, once for a cleaning, and twice for a crown, no problem. Very safe. Also been to the doctors' a few times, and to donate blood at the hospital blood bank. I think medical offices are a lot safer than stores or restaurants.

Old 10-06-2020, 08:15 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,876,931 times
Unless you think the dentist is contagious RIGHT NOW - then you're safe. Odds are slim. And he'll have a mask on anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness