Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 10:23 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times

Advertisements

I don't get them very often, sometimes they're spaced years apart, but you have one, it's hard to forget. I had one last night. I fell dead asleep laying face up. That's when they've occurred in the past, not if I'm sleeping in the fetal position.

I sometime wonder, given how scary they are, if people haven't died of heart attacks having them. I've known others who have had them.

Last night, in my dream, I was in my car with the seat reclined, I was thirsty, but I couldn't move my arms or legs or turn my head, nor, as always with these dreams, could I get any words to come out of my mouth. It would be futile to try and scream even though you'd love to scream. But who would have heard me with the windows up in my car? Thank God they don't last very long!

How about you? Ever had one? And what do you think causes them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2020, 05:04 PM

30,400 posts, read 21,215,773 times
I don't know what a paralytic dream is. I just dream the same thing over about fishing on the boats back in the 1980's and never have bad dreams.

Old 10-16-2020, 05:44 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
The only time I recall having something like sleep paralysis was, I believe, caused by apnea. I was being held down and strangled by a faceless entity cloaked in black. The fact that you only get them on your back may suggest apnea involvement, but certainly there are other possible causes. I actually don't remember whether I could move or not, I just remember I was powerless so I was probably immobilized too.It was also during a time of extreme distress in my life and may have been PTSD related as well.

Old 10-16-2020, 08:10 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
I have had them.

They are frightening.

I don't KNOW what causes them, but my theory is that there is material in the psyche that is asking to be processed/healed.

That was my take-away from my own experiences.

Old 10-17-2020, 07:43 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
The only time I recall having something like sleep paralysis was, I believe, caused by apnea. I was being held down and strangled by a faceless entity cloaked in black. The fact that you only get them on your back may suggest apnea involvement, but certainly there are other possible causes. I actually don't remember whether I could move or not, I just remember I was powerless so I was probably immobilized too.It was also during a time of extreme distress in my life and may have been PTSD related as well.
There could be another explanation for this... Im talking to a therapist about something similar that used to happen in my childhood years and the cause may be very bizarre, lets just say its an 'outside force'.

Im not 100% positive on this in my case yet, but from everything she has helped me remember so far, its looking like this is what it was.

Old 10-17-2020, 12:26 PM

5,195 posts, read 1,868,950 times
I get these sometimes. I had one this time last year where I didn't wake up properly lying on my back (only ever happens on my back) and I felt like I was in two places at once (in my bed/body but also in my lounge) and had this weird apparition forming. I felt like I was having a seizure or my consiousness was going odd (hard to describe). I think any hallucination or sensations are largely of the mind (for the hallucinations) and created by the body regarding the sensations. Likely people experience scary imagery because they are still semi-dreaming and the fear from being aware of the (normal) paralysis produces scary looking imagery.

Old 10-17-2020, 01:53 PM

17,539 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Sleep apnea

Old 10-17-2020, 08:26 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,097,066 times
I only had sleep paralysis once. My body was asleep while my mind was fully awake. Not dreaming. I knew I was awake and that I couldn't move. I wondered if perhaps I was dead. All I could think to do was start saying my prayers silently. After a while I was able to move again. Glad it only happened to me once. No idea what caused this.

Last edited by 5-all; 10-17-2020 at 08:44 PM..

Old 10-18-2020, 05:06 AM

30,400 posts, read 21,215,773 times
I have woke up before on my tummy and could not move at all a few times back in the teens.

Old 10-18-2020, 01:27 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I don't get them very often, sometimes they're spaced years apart, but you have one, it's hard to forget. I had one last night. I fell dead asleep laying face up. That's when they've occurred in the past, not if I'm sleeping in the fetal position.

I sometime wonder, given how scary they are, if people haven't died of heart attacks having them. I've known others who have had them.

Last night, in my dream, I was in my car with the seat reclined, I was thirsty, but I couldn't move my arms or legs or turn my head, nor, as always with these dreams, could I get any words to come out of my mouth. It would be futile to try and scream even though you'd love to scream. But who would have heard me with the windows up in my car? Thank God they don't last very long!

How about you? Ever had one? And what do you think causes them?
The cause of sleep paralysis is explained in the two articles below.

https://www.livescience.com/50876-sleep-paralysis.html

https://www.livescience.com/21653-br...paralysis.html

I experience episodes from time to time in which I'm in great danger but can't move. On two occasions I struggled so hard to move that I overcame the paralysis and threw myself out of bed onto the floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness