Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2020, 08:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I can't believe that after this much time we still have to repeat the mask thing.

They don't eliminate the chances, they lower them.

Maybe this will help a bit. This applies to cloth masks. Oh and one more thing, this has nothing to do with Political Parties. It works for both Republicans and Democrats.
It does seem to be getting a little old doesn't it. Thanks for bringing this up.

Old 10-20-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
It's crowds and frequent close contact without masks. Schools, restaurants, bars, churches, and parties.

"The week before, the CDC had published its investigation of an outbreak at an Arkansas church that had resulted in four deaths. The agency’s scientific journal recently had detailed a superspreader event in which 52 of the 61 singers at a 2½-hour choir practice developed COVID-19. Two died."

source

As the example above illustrates, it is the crowds and the length of time you spend in the crowds that make you vulnerable.

Masks, social distancing, and hand washing are recommended to keep down the infections as other restrictions are relaxed. It is to be expected that infections will rise because the relaxation of occupancy restrictions means more people will go to venues which were considered high-risk. You're getting exposed to a lot more airborne virus than before. There are suggestions to wear N99 or to wear two or three face coverings to increase the filtering.
How many churches or schools have you seen where there has been close contact without masks? I haven't seen any.

Old 10-20-2020, 09:16 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
How many churches or schools have you seen where there has been close contact without masks? I haven't seen any.
I've seen a lot of them caught on video, especially in the South where the people openly flout the health recommendations. I just posted an example where over 80 percent were infected. Yes, they don't wear masks in the choir and the masks are removed to sing hymns. There was another church where most of the members became ill when they shared a drink during mass. It is also ironic that a number of the pastors came down sick after preaching against the restrictions.

Old 10-20-2020, 09:37 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
COVID is not going to run its course unless we flatten the curve. Herd immunity is simply a death sentence for some. Which members of your family are you willing to sacrifice?
Presented as an "end of discussion" clincher, but let's be honest...if everything would go back to normal when everyone picked one random relative to be "sacrificed," most people would readily come up with one.

Old 10-20-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I've seen a lot of them caught on video, especially in the South where the people openly flout the health recommendations. I just posted an example where over 80 percent were infected. Yes, they don't wear masks in the choir and the masks are removed to sing hymns. There was another church where most of the members became ill when they shared a drink during mass. It is also ironic that a number of the pastors came down sick after preaching against the restrictions.
We are in the south and have a lot of friends in other parts of the south. If you are seeing pictures of choirs I think I would question the legitamacy of those pictures. I do not know a single church that is using choirs right now. Ours is not: WE have a very large church; about 1/3 of the people are still do on line service, the rest of us do go t church. We have no choir, we do sit 6 ft apart except families and we have no social gathering after church. As far as I know we have not had one case of COVID in our congregation. I also do not know of one church that is using the common cup for communion They are all using the small little disposable cups.

Old 10-20-2020, 11:08 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,872,571 times
all those deaths are not caused by COVID

All those deaths ARE caused by COVID. If you die of complications from AIDs - did you die of pneumonia, or AIDS?

If you die of diabetes, did you die of some insulin shock - or organ failure from years of diabetes?
If you die of a stroke - during surgery for a traumatic injury - was it a stroke ALONE that killed you? No.

And so on.

Stop focusing on the idiosyncrasies of deaths on death certificates are reported - and start accepting that COVID kills, and sometimes, it's easier for COVID to kill you if it has some help - like your obesity. That doesn't mean you died from obesity. Nope. You died of COVID, plain and simple.

Meantime: A larger - broader - point - keeping YOU - specifically - YOU from catching COVID is not really the point of all this. Individuals, catching it one at a time, are pretty much a non-issue. For the hospitals, and for yourself - it's pretty much no biggie.

It's when larger groups, neighborhoods, communities, counties - start to show many simultaneous cases that there is a problem - and it's not with death. It's with resources.

SO - DO ALL THAT YOU CAN to avoid causing - or being part of - that 2nd situation.

But do not fret so much about your individual chances. Without a vaccine, you will almost certainly catch it sooner or later...and you almost certainly won't know it, or if you do, you'll be over it very soon.

If you have health issues that might make you more vulnerable - then masks aren't your solution. Distance is. Avoid people. It's that simple. Otherwise, wear a mask as if you're already infected, wash your hands just like you don't want the flu, and avoid other sick people like you don't want to catch their cold. You do these things EVERY DAY ALREADY - except the mask - which, again, is mainly NOT for you.

C'mon - seriously - when someone at work is all coughy sneezy barfy - and says -STAY BACK, I HAVE THE FLU - do you just cozy up? No. You're mad at them. You avoid them. YOu don't hug and kiss and shake hands with them. You ask them to cover their mouth. You use sanitizer. AND THIS IS FOR THE FLU.

Just do that much for COVID, problem solved.

Old 10-20-2020, 12:34 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
Quote:
We are in the south and have a lot of friends in other parts of the south. If you are seeing pictures of choirs I think I would question the legitamacy of those pictures. I do not know a single church that is using choirs right now. Ours is not: WE have a very large church; about 1/3 of the people are still do on line service, the rest of us do go t church. We have no choir, we do sit 6 ft apart except families and we have no social gathering after church. As far as I know we have not had one case of COVID in our congregation. I also do not know of one church that is using the common cup for communion They are all using the small little disposable cups.
Yes. You really cover a lot of territory by yourself and your friends. I am really impressed. From now, you are the authoritative source on North Carolina and Mississippi as representative of the South since all of the other southern states have reported spreader events in their churches.

Probably a lot more people were already infected and they were tested when they went back to school since the numbers spiked.

When it says flout, it means that people are boasting about their defiance of the healthcare advisories and posting videos.

Old 10-20-2020, 12:41 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I don't see many other people wearing face shields AND big sunglasses/goggles ALONG w/ their mask, but I certainly do. And I'm still there M-Th at opening time at the tail-end of the senior shopping hour as it is.

I did hear on the news that those who wear glasses have fewer chances of contracting it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
True that. I work in optical, so myself and my docs are up to date on that info. But the evidence is weak at best. However, we get incentives for selling our product and it's good protection because we are so close to people's faces, so most us us wear glasses anyway.

Right, eyewear can't do anything but HELP since it's covering our eyes, which is another orifice of our bodies. It's like would we want to walk around w/ our mouths open? Definitely not, so we should cover our eyes as well.

I have 20+ pairs of sunglasses, so I ALWAYS wear them when I'm out these days, especially the large-framed ones. It's not about whether it's sunny anymore. It's for protection!

Old 10-20-2020, 01:02 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Quote:
What many seem to not understand or don't want to hear is: all those deaths are not caused by COVID but I am sure you are one who doesn't want to understand or except this, so we will just drop it.

yes they were and its been explained to you multiple times but you still think the earth is flat.

Old 10-20-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Yes. You really cover a lot of territory by yourself and your friends. I am really impressed. From now, you are the authoritative source on North Carolina and Mississippi as representative of the South since all of the other southern states have reported spreader events in their churches.

Probably a lot more people were already infected and they were tested when they went back to school since the numbers spiked.

When it says flout, it means that people are boasting about their defiance of the healthcare advisories and posting videos.
wow, is someone a little testy> I have never indicated I knew about all things or anything for that matter: certainly know very little about the Carolinas or Mississippi. I can say with a certain amount of certainty since the pandemic started to grow we can be assured pretty much the common cup is not being used and the number of churches with large choirs are few and far between. The case you were referring to was isolated and yes, very early in the virus days. I still say, and will continue to, don't believe everything you read, there are many out there that will believe propaganda and it does nothing but hurt others. End of conversation as far as I am concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness