Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2020, 08:42 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,069,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
She doesn't believe in a healthy immune system. Her posts indicate that everyone is sick/going to be sick and/or die at every moment unless they take lots of prescription drugs, vaccines, and wear masks.
I think she believes in Dr. Fauci. Let's see what he says.

"If you want to keep your immune system working optimally, there are things that you do that are normal things," Fauci said.

His top 3 immuntiy tips: get a reasonable amount of sleep; get a good diet; try to alleviate stress. "That is much more healthy living than giving yourself supplements of anything," Fauci said.

https://www.businessinsider.com/fauc...s-sleep-2020-9

I started posting the same tips in March but the usual suspects just want to argue and put the responsibility on the rest of society. I wonder what took Fauci so long to say it.

Half of American adults have underlying conditions due to diet and lifestyle factors. It's higher than that in older people, just because of diet and lifestyle. These are the people all of society is catering to. The idea that responsibility for individual health falls solely on the rest of society is getting tiresome.

Old 10-25-2020, 09:15 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
A cytokine storm is an overreaction of the immune system. It's the body's response that causes the harm, not the virus.

A healthy immune system doesn't overreact.
The Covid-19 and SARS viruses stimulates the immune system more aggressively than other viruses and bacteria. They alter proteins in the blood cells. Various chemicals send signals in the body. The immune system is not a closed system where you do this and everything is all right.

Quote:
Half of American adults have underlying conditions due to diet and lifestyle factors. It's higher than that in older people, just because of diet and lifestyle. These are the people all of society is catering to. The idea that responsibility for individual health falls solely on the rest of society is getting tiresome.
The older you get, the less you have of the secondary line of defense against infections after antibodies. It peaks around age 23 and gradually declines with age.

I wouldn't bet too much on those three tips or vitamin D

My doctor said being a little overweight might have helped Trump because it helped him withstand the weight loss from being sick.

Old 10-25-2020, 09:15 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
I think she believes in Dr. Fauci. Let's see what he says.

"If you want to keep your immune system working optimally, there are things that you do that are normal things," Fauci said.

His top 3 immuntiy tips: get a reasonable amount of sleep; get a good diet; try to alleviate stress. "That is much more healthy living than giving yourself supplements of anything," Fauci said.

https://www.businessinsider.com/fauc...s-sleep-2020-9

I started posting the same tips in March but the usual suspects just want to argue and put the responsibility on the rest of society. I wonder what took Fauci so long to say it.

Yep. It's apparently everyone else's fault if someone is overweight, out of shape and unhealthy. And everyone else has to kowtow to whatever they want because their completely VOLUNTARY behavior puts them at higher risk for disease.

Old 10-25-2020, 09:22 AM

37,103 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
The Covid-19 and SARS viruses stimulates the immune system more aggressively than other viruses and bacteria. They alter proteins in the blood cells.
Yeah, it's a bit like driving a new car off the dealer's lot and having it immediately get creamed by another driver and then saying that it was a wreck to begin with.

Old 10-25-2020, 09:24 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
The Covid-19 and SARS viruses stimulates the immune system more aggressively than other viruses and bacteria. They alter proteins in the blood cells. Various chemicals send signals in the body. The immune system is not a closed system where you do this and everything is all right.

The older you get, the less you have of the secondary line of defense against infections after antibodies. It peaks around age 23 and gradually declines with age.

My doctor said being a little overweight might have helped Trump because it helped him withstand the weight loss from being sick.

Why would you not be in favor of vitamin D.

You might need a new doctor.

Old 10-25-2020, 09:29 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0904100551.htm

Results of the study: Covid 19 is not characterized by a cytokine storm.

Old 10-25-2020, 09:52 AM

37,103 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0904100551.htm

Results of the study: Covid 19 is not characterized by a cytokine storm.
Only 46 COVID-19 patients.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/937044#vp_1

"Enough to Cause a Storm?

The study 'is quite interesting, and data in this paper are consistent with our data,' Tadamitsu Kishimoto, MD, PhD, of the Department of Immune Regulation at the Immunology Frontier Research Center at Osaka University, Osaka, Japan, told Medscape Medical News when asked to comment.

His study, published online August 21 in PNAS, also revealed lower serum IL-6 levels among people with COVID-19 compared to patients with bacterial ARDS or sepsis.

Kishimoto drew a distinction, however: COVID-19 patients can develop severe respiratory failure, suggesting a distinct immune reaction compared to patients with bacterial sepsis. SARS-CoV-2 directly infects and activates endothelial cells rather than macrophages, as occurs in sepsis.

For this reason, Kishimoto said, 'SARS-CoV-2 infection causes critical illness and severe dysfunction in respiratory organs and induces a cytokine storm,' even in the setting of lower but still elevated serum IL-6 levels."

Old 10-25-2020, 10:32 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Exactly. Autoimmune diseases do not happen in people who are healthy.
Not true. I have lived with a diagnosed progressive autoimmune disease for over half of my life, being diagnosed when I was in my early thirties. It is of unknown etiology, may have an inherited genetic component which put me at increased risk, but more likely is the result of very high, week-long fever during a severe but mysterious childhood illness which reset my immune system and caused it to attack my body.

Thankfully, it won't shorten my life and is a slow-progressing disorder, but it lowers my energy level, makes me highly susceptible to cold temperatures, has decreased my lung capacity to about 70% of normal, leading to breathlessness upon exertion (but I can go forever at my own chosen speed), causes esophageal narrowing which is addressed with an invasive procedure every few years (I also take a prescribed anti-acid), and other more subtle symptoms.

Most people who see me don't notice any signs of this illness - only those already familiar with it, or familiar with me, spot the little things that are giveaways to the informed. Fine with me, I don't need anyone's pity but do welcome understanding.

But according to my doctors, I am healthy. I worked professionally, full-time for almost thirty years, was and still try to be physically active (despite recently being hampered by both the pandemic and a broken ankle), maintain a reasonable weight, eat mindfully, don't drink or smoke, belonged and still belong to various clubs and groups (which sadly cannot meet now, though our members keep in touch via other means), enjoy travel, and live with no outside assistance. I normally live a very full, satisfactory life.

Yet I also live with a chronic, life-long, serious autoimmune disease. It's not a death sentence in my case, thankfully, and I really don't have to make that many adjustments to do what I can to counter some of its efforts to limit me: just take care of myself, take a couple of Rxs, get bloodwork and lung function tests done every so often, check in with my rheumatologist, and so on.

Of course I wish I didn't have it, but it's not that big a deal usually, since I have a milder version than do some. Now, of course, it does put me at increased risk, due to the lung issues. But I still make a conscious effort to live as well and as normally and sensibly as possible during these very difficult, sad, and trying times. I could be far worse off than I am.

But yes, reasonably healthy people can certainly have autoimmune diseases and disorders, through no fault of their own. To state that only unhealthy people have autoimmune diseases is victim-blaming, and is very misinformed.

Of course, I certainly wasn't a very healthy eight and a half year old that long-ago summer when my serious, three week long illness baffled the best doctors to be found and all the tests came back negative - so if you want to throw that in to back up your argument, I wouldn't contradict you. But I've been in reasonable health ever since (stuff now and then, of course, as everyone experiences), and the childhood high-fever theory about why I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease many years later is as likely as any other (and more likely than many theories) concerning the origins of this mysterious group of disorders.

Last edited by CraigCreek; 10-25-2020 at 10:41 AM..

Old 10-25-2020, 11:33 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Saying someone is unhealthy isn't "victim blaming." It's an objective statement. The reasons for being unhealthy? Are varied. it's like saying someone is fat. If someone is fat .... well, they're fat. it's an objective statement. Like saying someone has brown eyes.

People need to knock off the ideologic and personalization of factual statements and validate the facts.

Ideology and feelings are not science.

I don't know any diagnosis that is based on ideology and feelings rather than science .... oh wait .... I can think of a bunch just off the top of my head...

Old 10-25-2020, 11:33 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,069,617 times
Quote:
Did he say that is all you need? No, he didn't. He said those were the top 3. There are other things you can do to support your immune system like regular physical activity, avoiding processed and fast foods, alcohol, tobacco and other drugs.

He's not recommending vitamin D supps either. He personally takes it probably because he was deficient. I doubt that he gets much sun and maybe he doesn't eat vit d foods. His choice.

I wouldn't bet on doing nothing for my personal health and immunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.