Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2020, 06:39 AM

37,181 posts, read 41,377,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
YOU probably don't remember. It was at least a year ago. So YOU probably do not remember. But suzy_q condemned another poster for using Medscape as a source.

Clear. As. Day.
Link, please.

Old 10-26-2020, 08:51 AM

3,126 posts, read 2,081,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
We have a right not to be harmed by the actions of others. Each of us has a citizen’s responsibility to act responsibly toward other citizens. In the time of pandemic, this responsibility would include behaving so as not to endanger others. We have little else to protect ourselves than masking up, distancing and hand hygiene. So asking that of all of us is not unreasonable.
A functioning society is a two-way street. Mutual obligations, reciprocal actions. People who are perfectly capable of helping themselves but can't be bothered to do it don't have a right to be endlessly catered to. I only see them shirking their part. People knowingly make themselves more vulnerable with poor diets/lifestyles. They don't have a right to burden others and society in general because of their poor choices. Like you said, each citizen has a responsibility to act responsibly.

Old 10-26-2020, 09:16 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,835,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
A functioning society is a two-way street. Mutual obligations, reciprocal actions. People who are perfectly capable of helping themselves but can't be bothered to do it don't have a right to be endlessly catered to. I only see them shirking their part. People knowingly make themselves more vulnerable with poor diets/lifestyles. They don't have a right to burden others and society in general because of their poor choices. Like you said, each citizen has a responsibility to act responsibly.
So wear a mask. Its so simple.

Old 10-26-2020, 10:01 AM

3,126 posts, read 2,081,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
So wear a mask. Its so simple.
I have already told you that I do. The purpose of masks is to *maybe help* slow to keep the number of infected and hospitalized patients at a manageable level. NO ONE knows yet if this will work.

Masks don't prevent me or you from contracting the virus, and they are not intended to. The ONLY way for you to avoid the virus is to self-isolate. If your goal is to avoid it, it's YOUR responsibility to self-isolate. So stop complaining.

Old 10-26-2020, 10:14 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,835,739 times
Quote:
I have already told you that I do. The purpose of masks is to *maybe help* slow to keep the number of infected and hospitalized patients at a manageable level. NO ONE knows yet if this will work.

Masks don't prevent me or you from contracting the virus, and they are not intended to. The ONLY way for you to avoid the virus is to self-isolate. If your goal is to avoid it, it's YOUR responsibility to self-isolate. So stop complaining.
What is your point on this thread?

Old 10-26-2020, 11:10 AM

5,724 posts, read 4,320,727 times
Quote:

We absolutely know it will reduce transmission and help keep it manageable.

Quote:

No, its your responsibility to do your part. Other people have a right to live their lives too. if you don't want to participate in society, go live in a remote shack. I don't think the unabomber's cabin is presently available but there are plenty of others out there.

Old 10-26-2020, 12:18 PM

792 posts, read 498,620 times
I like how there are apparently only two options. 1) Terrified and hiding inside one's house or 2) Living your life.

Which section do I fit in? My wife and I go kayaking, hiking, biking on the weekends. I go road biking when the weather is nice after work. The other day I walked to a driving range and hit a bucket of balls. When I go to the grocery store or go to work, I wear a mask.

I don't feel particularly "hidey" or terrified?

Old 10-26-2020, 12:48 PM

7,311 posts, read 5,193,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
We absolutely know it will reduce transmission and help keep it manageable.

No we don't.

If you have access to information to support your claim, please show us.

A large study shows healthcare workers, who are obviously working all day, every day exposed to the virus, but do have good access to and are well trained in using PPE, are 12x (!!) more likely to become infected than the general public....Now, you may argue that the infection rate would be even worse if they didn't use the masks, but the rate is so high that it shows they don't work very well at all....Does it make any difference if a nurse gets infected on the first day of exposure or the twelfth?
https://www.massgeneral.org/news/cor...h-care-workers

Farther down in that paper, healthcare workers exposed to CoViD with adequate availability of PPE had a 5x greater risk, while those with inadequate availability had 6x greater risk of infection compared to healthcare workers not exposed to CoViD pts...That doesn't say much for PPE.

Wearing a helmet ain't gunna help much when your motorcycle hits a truck at 80mph.

As I noted earlier, a major study showed only two factors seemed to correlate with high risk of contracting the infection--(1) close contact with those known to be infected (we could guess that) and (2) spending time in small, enclosed spaces with high traffic of people (restaurants /bars)....and wearing a mask didn't alter the outcomes....same rate of infection with or without masks.

The data shows that those under 45y/o can afford to be cavalier about their mask wearing and social activities, while those over 55 should be reluctant to go to social gatherings and avoid those known to be infected.

Old 10-26-2020, 12:58 PM

4,038 posts, read 1,893,572 times
SOoo when you were young(er) and you coughed or sneezed because you had a cold or flu - did not your elders tell you to cover your mouth? Why do think that was? Fear? Manipulation? Politics? No. It was to keep your little germys from flying all over the room. The masks do the same thing - that's it. Nothing more, nothing less. If you could be relied upon to cover your own mouth at all times with your hand - then masks would not be in the conversation.

Meantime - lots of doctors suck at math and statistics.

I would wear a mask during flu season...if I had the flu. because when I have the flu - I will know it. And if I knew you had the flu - I would definitely avoid you, even if you had a mask on. Because I do not want the flu. I don't want COVID either.

finally - those under 45 that catch it are fine. The problem is that they inevitably visit their grandparents.

Old 10-26-2020, 01:27 PM

724 posts, read 405,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
SOoo when you were young(er) and you coughed or sneezed because you had a cold or flu - did not your elders tell you to cover your mouth? Why do think that was? Fear? Manipulation? Politics? No. It was to keep your little germys from flying all over the room. The masks do the same thing - that's it. Nothing more, nothing less. If you could be relied upon to cover your own mouth at all times with your hand - then masks would not be in the conversation.

Meantime - lots of doctors suck at math and statistics.

I would wear a mask during flu season...if I had the flu. because when I have the flu - I will know it. And if I knew you had the flu - I would definitely avoid you, even if you had a mask on. Because I do not want the flu. I don't want COVID either.

finally - those under 45 that catch it are fine. The problem is that they inevitably visit their grandparents.
Yeah right.........tell that to this 18 year old!!!!!!!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/18...kqw?li=BBnb7Kz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.