Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2020, 04:53 AM

23,862 posts, read 33,533,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom623 View Post
If you really want to scare yourself, thailandmedical.news has been covering every possible covid side effect.
Thanks so much for the link. Looks like a lot of interesting topics about COVID

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
It's irrelevant whether they had some other disease. In the study, a significant number of people aged 65 and over experienced a decline and those under 65 did as well. The direct cause is the reduced level of oxygen in the blood flow to the brain during a severe respiratory illness. The same thing occurs with anesthesia for major operations and why they monitor the oxygen level while you're under. You need to be versed in the topic, not just repeat political talking points, and the lack of knowledge shows.
There's also a chunk of the article left out that says the people were not tested before COVID so they don't know how accurate it even is, it's not known how long it will last if true. They're saying it's "intriguing" but inconclusive.

Quote:
Other experts not involved in the study warned that the results should be viewed with some caution — especially because the study did not record before-and-after cognitive test scores.

“The cognitive function of the participants was not known pre-COVID, and the results also do not reflect long-term recovery — so any effects on cognition may be short-term,” Joanna Wardlaw, a professor of applied neuroimaging at Edinburgh University, told Reuters.

Derek Hill, a professor of medical imaging science at University College London, described the results as an “intriguing” but “inconclusive” piece of research into the effect coronavirus can have on the brain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2020, 08:15 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,565,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Thanks so much for the link. Looks like a lot of interesting topics about COVID

There's also a chunk of the article left out that says the people were not tested before COVID so they don't know how accurate it even is, it's not known how long it will last if true. They're saying it's "intriguing" but inconclusive.
I saw that. I didn't need the study. Covid-19 is a severe respiratory illness. It's reasonable to expect that temporary or permanent mental decline will result from the illness since the brain is receiving less oxygen. I would not want to be hospitalized with the disease because I've seen and treated family with pneumonia and sepsis. The rate of hospitalization is very high for Covid-19.

Old 11-05-2020, 08:45 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,874,326 times
Well - I don't know what the hospitalization rate is for many other illnesses - but pessimistic COVID math right now works out to about 2.5%, max., and it's probably half of that. Is that "high" relatively? Maybe.

Old 11-05-2020, 10:52 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,565,479 times
The average age of people getting hospitalized is dropping, which is lowering the probability of death.

study explains decline in death rate

There is no max hospitalization rate. You are making things up because hospitalization rates obviously go much higher than your claim due to the age of the patients. The hospitalization rate is around 20 percent for Covid-19, about the same as pneumonia.

Old 11-05-2020, 12:31 PM

hospitalization rate is around 20 percent for Covid-19

That's not possible. Not overall, anyway.

Look at the data. With 100,000 "official" new cases today - which means quite a few more "untested" cases - but only 50,000 people simultaneously in the hospital - with an average stay of x days - there is no math that makes it 20 percent.

Here's a link: https://covidtracking.com/data/national/hospitalization

Highest one day total going back two months is 3000 or so. It means it cannot be more than 3%, and that's if NO ONE else has it except "official" cases. Now - there's an argument to be made - that you're referring to JUST "old" people - and not all people. But since you just made a reference to the average age dropping - I'm not sure that's what you meant.

If you want to say 20% of all folks above a certain age end up in the hospital - I might believe that. But overall? Nope.

Did you have an "above a certain age" statistic?.

Meantime, only about 500,000 (USA) people have EVER been in the hospital from COVID - and with 10 million confirmed cases, that' 5%. Except lots of cases aren't confirmed - so it drops - to about 2.5%. Same conclusion, different road. That's how we know it's a decent guess.

Old 11-09-2020, 06:43 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,477,145 times
As long as a I remember my name and where my money is, I'm good. Day 6 for me, it's a beast!

Old 11-09-2020, 10:21 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,966,979 times
I didn't read the article just yet, but that seems logical.

When I read JUST your thread title, I initially thought you were talking about how COVID affects us ALL mentally living during this time in society, NOT the actual people suffering from COVID.

Old 11-09-2020, 10:41 AM

Don't bother reading the article - just read the study. I can summarize like this:

"People who were put in a medically induced coma don't perform as well on the rare-word portion of a written test, compared to those who were not recently in a coma."

But that doesn't really catch your eye, so...

Old 11-09-2020, 10:42 AM

Also not sure how it could be "chronic" since the disease is only 8 months old.

I mean, does it improve after month? 2 months? Is it gone in a year? No way to know. Calling it "chronic" right now is a bit premature.

Old 11-10-2020, 01:39 PM

8,752 posts, read 5,046,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
I ate lots of curry and chocolate and I was 100% in a month. I only missed one day of work. Just take care of yourself and covid is just an annoyance.
I do hope you work remotely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness