Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2020, 12:55 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,735 times

Advertisements

I started smoking in 1999 and wanted to quit multiple times afterward, but it was tough. Around late 2010 I really wanted to, but actually had a doctor advise me to continue smoking because I had a lot of stressful things going on during that recession, and she thought it could help alleviate stress. She did urge me to quit once things stabilized though.

In early 2016 I got to a point where I could manage quitting, and I was living in Phoenix at the time and planning on moving out ASAP (and likely to a more expensive city, which ultimately was the case a couple years later) and wanted to save money. I talked to a doctor about my options because any other method I previously tried didn't work and he put me on Chantix and said I could continue to smoke, but should try to reduce it over the treatment. I noticed that smoking just wasn't pleasurable as I went through treatment and I just didn't want to smoke. I skimmed through others' posts and see many felt nausea; I didn't get that to a great extent, which is odd for me because I usually get that side effect from medication or vaccinations. I remember a few times I felt kind of dizzy and lightheaded, but it wasn't that bad. It did affect my mood and made me often feel like I had a general malaise all over. As a word of warning: commit to the treatment in full; I noticed my cravings were reduced and thought I could probably stop before finishing all doses, though that made me relapse. I got back on it immediately and completed the remaining doses.

I haven't smoked since March 2016. Every once in a while I get a craving still, but nothing overwhelming and it typically passes within a few minutes. Now if I have my window open and someone nearby is smoking and I smell it, I find the odor repellent. I do sometimes have a recurring dream theme in which I'm smoking and feel bad about it. I was spending too much money on cigarettes, even when going to a smoke shop on a reservation to skip the extra taxes. I do miss smoking at times, but overall I think Chantix was worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2020, 06:25 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,093,931 times
I smoked from 1979 to 2016.

Old 11-09-2020, 06:54 AM

50,753 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Plan to stop smoking in 7 days. Doctor told me to take one 1mg tablet for 7 days, continue smoking, then on the 7th day, do 2 tablets a day and stop smoking...We shall see how it works!

Ive used Chantix in the past, but didnt give it enough time to build up in my system before stopping. I cannot remember why I stopped taking it, I think it was making me feel nauseous.
I quit with Chantix a couple of months ago. I had tried before, but it's been much easier this time due to Covid simply because I'm not spending time with extended family that I can bum cigarettes from.

I never took it for such a short period before stopping though. I took it for about a month before I stopped smoking, and I'm just now weaning off it a couple months later. Went from 2 tablets down to one, now one every other day. I always in the past struggled when it wore off because the cravings came back strong, but it seems better this time around.

I actually miss the beginning part, with the vivid dreams. I always had goofy, funny dreams, and could remember all the details, for about the first 2 weeks.

Old 11-09-2020, 07:28 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
I started smoking in 1999 and wanted to quit multiple times afterward, but it was tough. Around late 2010 I really wanted to, but actually had a doctor advise me to continue smoking because I had a lot of stressful things going on during that recession, and she thought it could help alleviate stress. She did urge me to quit once things stabilized though.

In early 2016 I got to a point where I could manage quitting, and I was living in Phoenix at the time and planning on moving out ASAP (and likely to a more expensive city, which ultimately was the case a couple years later) and wanted to save money. I talked to a doctor about my options because any other method I previously tried didn't work and he put me on Chantix and said I could continue to smoke, but should try to reduce it over the treatment. I noticed that smoking just wasn't pleasurable as I went through treatment and I just didn't want to smoke. I skimmed through others' posts and see many felt nausea; I didn't get that to a great extent, which is odd for me because I usually get that side effect from medication or vaccinations. I remember a few times I felt kind of dizzy and lightheaded, but it wasn't that bad. It did affect my mood and made me often feel like I had a general malaise all over. As a word of warning: commit to the treatment in full; I noticed my cravings were reduced and thought I could probably stop before finishing all doses, though that made me relapse. I got back on it immediately and completed the remaining doses.

I haven't smoked since March 2016. Every once in a while I get a craving still, but nothing overwhelming and it typically passes within a few minutes. Now if I have my window open and someone nearby is smoking and I smell it, I find the odor repellent. I do sometimes have a recurring dream theme in which I'm smoking and feel bad about it. I was spending too much money on cigarettes, even when going to a smoke shop on a reservation to skip the extra taxes. I do miss smoking at times, but overall I think Chantix was worth it.
Congrats!

I hate the smell of smoke and I smoke! I especially hate when someone smokes in a car and doesn't hold the cig by the window or doesn't blow the smoke directly out. That's how I smoke in my own car because I can't stand the smell of lingering smoke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I quit with Chantix a couple of months ago. I had tried before, but it's been much easier this time due to Covid simply because I'm not spending time with extended family that I can bum cigarettes from.

I never took it for such a short period before stopping though. I took it for about a month before I stopped smoking, and I'm just now weaning off it a couple months later. Went from 2 tablets down to one, now one every other day. I always in the past struggled when it wore off because the cravings came back strong, but it seems better this time around.

I actually miss the beginning part, with the vivid dreams. I always had goofy, funny dreams, and could remember all the details, for about the first 2 weeks.
Congrats on stopping!

Old 11-09-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Congrats!

I hate the smell of smoke and I smoke! I especially hate when someone smokes in a car and doesn't hold the cig by the window or doesn't blow the smoke directly out. That's how I smoke in my own car because I can't stand the smell of lingering smoke.

Congrats on stopping!
Thank you! Hopefully not too late, smoking since age 15!

I also could never stand smoking in a room with no outside air! Don't know if you've ever been to Atlanta airport, but they used to have a smoker's room. You didn't even need to light up, there'd be 50 people in there smoking all at once. It was disgusting. Not so disgusting though that I didn't run in and quick smoke a cig before boarding though!

Old 11-09-2020, 09:24 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:

I also could never stand smoking in a room with no outside air! Don't know if you've ever been to Atlanta airport, but they used to have a smoker's room. You didn't even need to light up, there'd be 50 people in there smoking all at once. It was disgusting. Not so disgusting though that I didn't run in and quick smoke a cig before boarding though!
Its never too late to quit!

I like to read those little informational pamphlets about quitting smoking that tell you the health benefits of quitting in lengths of time, starts out at 20min after you take the last puff!

Old 11-09-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Its never too late to quit!

I like to read those little informational pamphlets about quitting smoking that tell you the health benefits of quitting in lengths of time, starts out at 20min after you take the last puff!
I did quit, a couple months ago using Chantix! Yay for me lol.

Old 11-09-2020, 07:28 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Congrats!

Thank you. I actually had a weird relationship with the smell of cigarette smoke when I was a smoker. My grandmother smoked and I would smoke in her house with her when I visited; once she had to go to the hospital and I stayed at her place a couple days to watch her dog, and because the whole house reeked of it I had a headache. When I would travel I would often request a smoking room, though only on occasion would I ever smoke in one (maybe once or twice the whole trip...unless it had a window I could open). When I smoked in bars, it didn't bother me so much. Overall, I preferred to smoke outside, but if I were to go out and the weather outside was unpleasant I'd smoke indoors, assuming it were allowed in that area.

Now I'm more sensitive to it. I can pass it on the street and it doesn't bother me, but can't do enclosed spaces. In my last Phoenix apartment, because the buildings are cheap and poorly made there, my neighbor would smoke in his at night and my entire room would fill with his smoke. I've gone to visit family in Oklahoma, and usually swing by a bar or two to get away for a night, and there was one as of last year that was so smoky I had to leave.

Old 11-09-2020, 08:02 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
I smoked for 55 years. I quit about seven times but it never took.

In 2004, I learned that a congenital heart defect had progressed from minor to serious and would require surgery.

My doctor prescribed Wellbutrin which is a psych drug but works to facilitate quitting nicotine. It works like Chantix - take it for several days while you work up to quitting.

I quit at 6:30 am on Tuesday Nov. 2, 2004. By the time I had my surgery in January of 2005, my 20 minute morning cough was gone which was important because with an 11" incision down my chest coughing would not have been welcome.

I'm a non-smoker 16 years later.

I applaud you OP and hope that you will say the same thing in 2036.

Old 11-10-2020, 01:57 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Plan to stop smoking in 7 days. Doctor told me to take one 1mg tablet for 7 days, continue smoking, then on the 7th day, do 2 tablets a day and stop smoking...We shall see how it works!

Ive used Chantix in the past, but didnt give it enough time to build up in my system before stopping. I cannot remember why I stopped taking it, I think it was making me feel nauseous.
How are you doing with the chantix?

Quote:

Been smoking since summer before 3rd grade. My grandson is 7 in 2nd grade, so I was about his age.

We smoke in the garage with the door up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
Thank you. I actually had a weird relationship with the smell of cigarette smoke when I was a smoker. My grandmother smoked and I would smoke in her house with her when I visited; once she had to go to the hospital and I stayed at her place a couple days to watch her dog, and because the whole house reeked of it I had a headache. When I would travel I would often request a smoking room, though only on occasion would I ever smoke in one (maybe once or twice the whole trip...unless it had a window I could open). When I smoked in bars, it didn't bother me so much. Overall, I preferred to smoke outside, but if I were to go out and the weather outside was unpleasant I'd smoke indoors, assuming it were allowed in that area.

Now I'm more sensitive to it. I can pass it on the street and it doesn't bother me, but can't do enclosed spaces. In my last Phoenix apartment, because the buildings are cheap and poorly made there, my neighbor would smoke in his at night and my entire room would fill with his smoke. I've gone to visit family in Oklahoma, and usually swing by a bar or two to get away for a night, and there was one as of last year that was so smoky I had to leave.
My parents smoked. My mother didn't inhale so it was pure nicotine on the walls of their house. My dad built a house by me in 2005, he was diagnosed terminal leukemia a week before it closed. I spent a lot of time at that old house washing walls, molding, windows, appliances while he did blood work 30 minutes away. You could see the pure nicotine coming off everything as I sprayed it. It was gross. One room didn't get the walls washed down, the nicotine bled through the paint, my neighbor had to redo it.

I'll never smoke inside after that. It's why I'm so careful in my car.

Last edited by Roselvr; 11-10-2020 at 02:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness