Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2020, 05:43 AM

50,309 posts, read 35,932,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
How are you doing with the chantix?

Been smoking since summer before 3rd grade. My grandson is 7 in 2nd grade, so I was about his age.

We smoke in the garage with the door up.

My parents smoked. My mother didn't inhale so it was pure nicotine on the walls of their house. My dad built a house by me in 2005, he was diagnosed terminal leukemia a week before it closed. I spent a lot of time at that old house washing walls, molding, windows, appliances while he did blood work 30 minutes away. You could see the pure nicotine coming off everything as I sprayed it. It was gross. One room didn't get the walls washed down, the nicotine bled through the paint, my neighbor had to redo it.

I'll never smoke inside after that. It's why I'm so careful in my car.
Wow, since age 7! That's the youngest I think I've ever heard!

I do recall you could go in any store then and buy cigs even as a little kid just by saying "My mom sent me to get her cigarettes"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2020, 01:21 PM

23,818 posts, read 33,320,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Wow, since age 7! That's the youngest I think I've ever heard!
Yeah, I was in 3rd grade. I think 7 is wrong, was probably 8 or just turned 9. It blows my mind because my grandson is 7 and in 2nd grade.

Quote:
I do recall you could go in any store then and buy cigs even as a little kid just by saying "My mom sent me to get her cigarettes"
Back then I used to take my mothers cigarettes. I probably wasn't smoking much. As you said, back then we could buy a pack saying they were for our parent. They also weren't expensive, so all you needed was a few bucks back in the 70's. When I started baby sitting at 11, I could take one here or there from the lady I baby sat. Same with raiding the liquor cabinet in my tweens. Kids were bad in North Jersey lol

Old 11-11-2020, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Yeah, I was in 3rd grade. I think 7 is wrong, was probably 8 or just turned 9. It blows my mind because my grandson is 7 and in 2nd grade.

Back then I used to take my mothers cigarettes. I probably wasn't smoking much. As you said, back then we could buy a pack saying they were for our parent. They also weren't expensive, so all you needed was a few bucks back in the 70's. When I started baby sitting at 11, I could take one here or there from the lady I baby sat. Same with raiding the liquor cabinet in my tweens. Kids were bad in North Jersey lol
Yes, I raided the liquor cabinet in my first baby sitting job. Cigarettes were 65 cents when I started! Only one guy wouldn't let us get cigs, the owner of a gas station down the street who had a cigarette machine (remember those?). I'd steal in when he was at the pump but if he caught kids using the machine he'd chase us away.

My brother is 7 years older than me and smoked. He would often let me light his cigarettes for him. He kept them rolled up in his t-shirt sleeve so he looked cool, lol. My whole family blamed him for me smoking. But it was a very deliberate action on my part, as I felt I was too "goody-goody" and asked my best friend to teach me how to smoke. I was 14.

Old 11-11-2020, 09:06 AM

26,627 posts, read 26,540,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
One thing that stuck in my head, after 4 days the addiction is 100% in your head.
Yes, and it's powerful. The only way I did it was to tell myself that it would be only for that day, or that week; after that, I would re-evaluate. If I'd thought I could never have a cigarette again in my life, I never would have made it.

The first year was awful. ("How can I get through....pick one: Thanksgiving, New Year's Eve, my birthday, etc., without a cigarette?") It seemed unendurable. After that first year, it will get easier.

Old 11-11-2020, 03:43 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,906,695 times
It's been 16 years. When I quit, I was 69 and I said, "When I'm 75, I'm going to buy a carton of cigarettes and sit on my porch and smoke." I didn't do it.

Instead, I said, "When I'm 80, I'm going to buy a carton...blah, blah..." I didn't do it.

I'm 85. I no longer drive and I don't think my kids would go buy cigarettes for me. Oh, well.

When I was a child, I used to go around the corner to the candy store and for a penny, I'd get three cigarettes for my Dad. (Day before payday) During WWII, there were shortages and sometimes there would be a store that had cigarettes, the line was around the block.

We (Dad and I, I was 7 or 8) would get in line and he would buy whatever the allowance was - a pack, 2 packs, a carton (rare) and he'd buy his and then I'd buy the same amount for him. No questions back then.

When I started smoking, I think they were 17 cents a pack. Every time they went up a penny or two, every smoker grumbled and swore they were going to quit rather than pay that! Nobody quit. lol

When I finally quit, they cost just shy of $8.00 for two packs. Too bad I can't get a refund.

Quitting isn't easy but it's not impossible.

Old 11-11-2020, 09:01 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,467,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Yes, and it's powerful. The only way I did it was to tell myself that it would be only for that day, or that week; after that, I would re-evaluate. If I'd thought I could never have a cigarette again in my life, I never would have made it.

The first year was awful. ("How can I get through....pick one: Thanksgiving, New Year's Eve, my birthday, etc., without a cigarette?") It seemed unendurable. After that first year, it will get easier.
Thats sort of the problem I am having...I start to think about next week, next month, next year, and so on...and its gets overwhelming...the thought that I will NEVER get to have another cigarette is really powerful...Even though its slowly killing me, I cannot imagine living without them...Its NUTS!! LOL

Old 11-12-2020, 06:04 AM

3,331 posts, read 2,285,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Thats sort of the problem I am having...I start to think about next week, next month, next year, and so on...and its gets overwhelming...the thought that I will NEVER get to have another cigarette is really powerful...Even though its slowly killing me, I cannot imagine living without them...Its NUTS!! LOL
If you could NEVER have another cigarette in your life...

what?

What exactly? Put down on a list, all the things that will happen if you could never have another cigarette in your life.

My guess:

You'll feel anxious will be on the top of the list.
All kinds of physical and mental aspects of "feel anxious" will immediately follow - but then you'll have to remember they are ALL manifestations of "feel anxious" - they're not separate things. They're ALL nothing more than "feel anxious."

Then you'll write things like:

I won't smell like stale cigarettes anymore.
My breath won't stink anymore.
I'll be able to taste food better.
I'll save $x per pack per [however long it takes to smoke a pack of smokes].
I'll be able to wash the inside of my car windows, the upholstery, and the windows in my house, and they'll stay clean longer and not be sticky with nicotine stains.
I'll be able to dine in at ALL restaurants, anywhere in the country, because none of them forbid non-smokers.
I'll be more productive at work because I'll be taking zero smoke breaks.
I'll have to find something new to do with my hands - a new hobby, perhaps - something you can't do when you have a cigarette dangling between your fingers all the time.
Taking a deep breath to enjoy a cool crisp morning will feel great.
I'll have more energy than I had before (even if I had plenty before).
My doctor will have one less thing to nag me about.

So many more things that will change when you can't ever have another cigarette ever again. And only one is negative: anxiety.

Old 11-12-2020, 06:58 AM

Quote:
You have to do it like AA, one day at a time.

Old 11-12-2020, 08:07 AM

26,627 posts, read 26,540,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
If you could NEVER have another cigarette in your life...what?

What exactly? Put down on a list, all the things that will happen if you could never have another cigarette in your life.

My guess:

You'll feel anxious will be on the top of the list.
All kinds of physical and mental aspects of "feel anxious" will immediately follow - but then you'll have to remember they are ALL manifestations of "feel anxious"...

Then you'll write things like:

I won't smell like stale cigarettes anymore.
My breath won't stink anymore.....
It's a great list, and a good idea. The problem is that for people who really love(d) smoking, the idea that you won't be able to engage in this pleasurable activity--EVER--is just unbearable. You can't even think about it. It's as if you've cut off your arm or something. Your friend, your security blanket, your buddy...I know, it sounds ridiculous and I realize that it's just not that way for the casual smoker (e.g. my husband could smoke a cigarette, leave the pack in his desk drawer, and forget it was there). To the OP, I say, one day or week at at time. Don't think beyond that.

Quote:
You have to do it like AA, one day at a time.
Yes.

Old 11-12-2020, 08:49 AM

5,397 posts, read 3,417,621 times
Quote:
Everyday say to yourself "Tomorrow I can have a cigarette".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness