U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2020, 06:32 PM

3,642 posts, read 3,119,087 times

Advertisements

Not sure about the supplements. My husband has a bit of kidney damage from chemo. His nephrologist told him to avoid processed meats, and to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Drink a lot of water.

Processed meats being ground meats, cold cuts, hot dogs, etc. I was surprised that ground meat was considered processed food, but apparently it is, at least for his kidney doc.

Processed meats will travel thru your gi system quicker, thus making your kidneys work harder.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2020, 06:53 PM

1,027 posts, read 337,117 times
Watercress cleanse your kidneys,you can buy them in most supermarkets in Chinatown,Welcome in Welcome Plaza and H Mart in Sterling Plaza,99 cents a bunch.

Old 11-13-2020, 10:10 PM

2,760 posts, read 1,437,989 times
But you agree, of course, that anyone with kidney disease should consult their doctor before taking any of these purportedly helpful supplements, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom623 View Post
Many supplements will help

"A randomized, controlled, double-blind study in 60 patients with diabetic kidney disease showed that compared to placebo, daily therapy with 420 mg silymarin resulted in a significant decrease in albuminuria and reduction in urinary levels of TNF-a and MDA"

Even from the article, you will see in their conclusion section they arent sticking their neck out too far. Not without a very large clinical trial which will probably never happen, but at least they provide you with the data so far.

Cost does of course become an issue. P5P would be tops for me, very inexpensive. Fish oil(part of general health anyway), Milk Thistle(silymarin), and glutathione would be next imo.

Old 11-13-2020, 11:06 PM

345 posts, read 115,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
But you agree, of course, that anyone with kidney disease should consult their doctor before taking any of these purportedly helpful supplements, right?
In general, its a good idea, in case she is on other medications. Its worth checking for contraindications like the ones at the bottom of this page.

However I would be shocked if he even recommended P5P, which one would think is a minimum.

What I would like to see is doctors say, "There are studies like this indicating these nutrients might be helpful." And then let the patient decide, instead of just leaving us in the dark.

Much like this Covid situation, 3 separate sources in different locations were all told the same thing. Go home and come back if symptoms worsen. Nothing about laying off sugar, taking a multivitamin, extra C, NAC, quercetin, melatonin, or Ivermectin. Some places like East Virginia Medical are on top of it, but they are few and far between.

Old 11-13-2020, 11:34 PM
Status: "My heart broke the day Leonard Nimoy died." (set 3 days ago)

10,863 posts, read 7,078,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Not sure about the supplements. My husband has a bit of kidney damage from chemo. His nephrologist told him to avoid processed meats, and to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Drink a lot of water.

Processed meats being ground meats, cold cuts, hot dogs, etc. I was surprised that ground meat was considered processed food, but apparently it is, at least for his kidney doc.

Processed meats will travel thru your gi system quicker, thus making your kidneys work harder.
Processed meats have nitrates/nitrites as a preservative. Once in your stomach and combined with stomach acid, they become carcinogenic. Processed meat is a risk factor for gastric cancer. Men are particularly at risk.

Processed in the context of meat means salted, cured, smoked or preserved. Feed him fresh meats that have no additives.

Old 11-16-2020, 12:46 AM

Looks like kidney rejuvenation may not be too far off.

Old 11-16-2020, 12:48 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
33,884 posts, read 61,639,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
It all depends on what damage was done to the kidneys.

Some damage is reversible. Most types are not.

Some kidney problems require restriction of fluids; some require extra fluids.

Some types require restriction of salt; some types require extra salt.

Some types require restriction of protein; some don't.

Some types will benefit from certain meds; most don't.

No "supplement' will help; some will hurt.

Her specific case needs to be discussed with her docs.
This. Mine are at 25% and 75% after bladder cancer, and my Nephrologist told me that nothing can be done to improve that, just to keep it from getting worse. The main things he recommended were limiting salt, and drinking plenty of water.

Old 11-16-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
This. Mine are at 25% and 75% after bladder cancer, and my Nephrologist told me that nothing can be done to improve that, just to keep it from getting worse. The main things he recommended were limiting salt, and drinking plenty of water.
Have you tried any supplements like P5P, Renadyl, glutathione, milk thistle, or R-lipoic acid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness