Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2020, 04:05 PM

21,555 posts, read 8,737,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
I assume I'm the addict you're talking about. Marijuana is habituating, not addicting. If it was addictive, I would be going through withdrawals and I'm not. What makes you think I'm an addict and a liar?
I am glad that you didn't have withdrawals. I did, and I'm not even a heavy user. Last year I noticed that I wasn't getting as much of an effect from my usual 25 mg. THC indica dose, so decided to take a tolerance break. I quit for several days. The withdrawal symptoms were noticeable. I felt jittery, a bit irritable and just generally off my game. It wasn't much worse than how you would feel if, as a long-time heavy coffee drinker, you suddenly stopped getting your caffeine fix.

In order to avoid having that unpleasant experience again, when I started using cannabis again I reduced my intake to half of what I had been using. Now when I take tolerance breaks the symptoms are still there, but a lot milder. I've also found that doubling my usual 25 mg. daily dose of CBD oil helped a lot to ease the withdrawal symptoms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2020, 04:49 PM

2,572 posts, read 1,647,831 times
Quote:
We've been married for 45 years. When marijuana was approved in Oregon for recreational use I visited dispensaries for THC tincture. The tincture is easier to use then smoked marijuana, but it lasts much longer. She says I'm not the same person she married and admired. Lately I've been somewhat dizzy in the morning and I'm cold almost all the time. I don't know if this is related to THC use, but to keep my marriage intact I have thrown out anything related to THC. I also stopped drinking a few months ago so we'll see how this works all out.

Is there anyone else who has made the same decision?

Go have some blood tests done. I had the same symptoms (plus, eventually, shortness of breath) and turned out to be anemic. Easily fixed, after various tests to rule out bad causes.

Old 11-19-2020, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
Go have some blood tests done. I had the same symptoms (plus, eventually, shortness of breath) and turned out to be anemic. Easily fixed, after various tests to rule out bad causes.
Yes, absolutely. You need to rule out any other causes for the dizziness and feeling cold. Those symptoms are not the usual aftereffects of using cannabis.

Old 11-19-2020, 07:26 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,066,361 times
Quote:
We've been married for 45 years. When marijuana was approved in Oregon for recreational use I visited dispensaries for THC tincture. The tincture is easier to use then smoked marijuana, but it lasts much longer. She says I'm not the same person she married and admired. Lately I've been somewhat dizzy in the morning and I'm cold almost all the time. I don't know if this is related to THC use, but to keep my marriage intact I have thrown out anything related to THC. I also stopped drinking a few months ago so we'll see how this works all out.

Is there anyone else who has made the same decision?
Okay, as a practising medicinal herbalist, grower and tincture and infusions maker this is something I know a lot about.

THC tincture definitely CAN cause dizziness and coldness and too much of it can damage the heart, lungs and liver. Tincture is (supposed to be) pure unadulterated 100 proof alcohol and it doubles or even triples the potency of whatever chemicals are being extracted out of a substance and into the alcohol which is then to be administered and absorbed sublingually as drops instead of being swallowed.

Sublingual administration and absorption also causes a much faster delivery into the blood stream and a greater impact and bodily response to the chemicals taken. Racing or tripping heart for example, shortness of breath and edema or other problems with lung functions and liver function.

Using tinctures of any substance can become addictive and toxic and should only be used temporarily for genuinely needed medicinal health purposes in very small doses (drops only), it should not be used for any recreational purposes.

You were probably taking too high a dosage of tincture each time you used it and have been causing yourself to have withdrawal symptoms and reduced lung and heart functions when you were using it, even though it's been a few months since you stopped drinking and may have also stopped smoking marijuana.

Give yourself another month without using any THC in any form and no other alterative herbs or substances at all and the dizziness and coldness should go away if you are otherwise usually physically healthy. If it does not go away within the month you need to go see your doctor and get your heart, liver and lungs checked for damages and reduced function.

PS - STOP taking the valerian root immediately!

Last edited by Zoisite; 11-19-2020 at 07:58 PM..

Old 11-19-2020, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
PS - STOP taking the valerian root immediately!
Thanks for all the information, Zoisite. Why do you recommend stopping the valerian?

Old 11-20-2020, 01:20 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,066,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Thanks for all the information, Zoisite. Why do you recommend stopping the valerian?
I'm only suggesting it to the OP specifically because he's been using a potent tincture of THC and he mentioned that he suffers from insomnia and will resort to using valerian again. It's kind of complicated to explain but in brief simple terms there's a tiny gland at the base of the skull that stores ingested THC and then slowly releases trace amounts of it back it into the system. Depending on whether or not the user has been an occasional user or a chronic user it can take anywhere from 6 weeks to 8 months for ALL of the stored THC to be gone from the gland and excreted out of the body after the user has discontinued ingesting any cannabis products.

The OP needs to wait for all of that stored THC to be out of his system before using valerian again. This is because in many cases the combination of valerian and high potency THC (usually 45% - 50% in tincture form but may be higher) has the exact opposite effect that it's used for to treat insomnia. Instead the combination of such high potency can cause excitability, irritability, confusion, rapid heart rate, worse insomnia and highly disturbing dreams and interrupted sleep when the insomniac does get to sleep, plus there is a risk of hepatoxicity because of the 100 proof alcohol in the tincture combined with valerian.

If OP's chills and dizziness remains persistent he needs to see his physician for the reasons I mentioned earlier and if he checks out okay he should ask his doctor then about the safety of resuming the use of valerian. But if he says anything about the gland that's releasing stored THC it's debatable whether or not the physician will know what OP is talking about. I think most GP's don't know much about it because it's not in their field of training. A chemist or neurologist would know more about it than the average GP would.

My own suggestion would be for OP to use lemon balm infusions instead of taking valerian for insomnia for at least the next 6 months while he waits for all of the stored THC to get out of his system. It's safer, effective, it has a gentle warming effect, is calming and does not react adversely with any cannabis constituents. After 6 months he might want to try valerian again depending on the physician's prognosis and recommendations.

Old 11-20-2020, 02:21 AM

Interesting. Thanks! I have been using valerian in an OTC sleep aid called Alteril (it also contains melatonin and lemon balm). I use it with my usual indica edible every night and have not had any problems even when I continued using it during a tolerance break.

It would be helpful to find out what type of tincture the OP was using - whether it was indica, sativa or hybrid and how much THC he was getting in in each dose. Not all tinctures are the same. Some are stronger than others.

Old 11-20-2020, 09:22 AM

3,288 posts, read 2,364,841 times
You've made it this far. Why screw it up now? If she doesn't like you doing it, then it is probably because you are not the same when you are high on it. I can understand that. Did you ever go out with a bunch of people who were drinking and laughing it up having a great time while being load? Well, if you are the only straight one there, you see the group acting like a bunch of morons and are embarrassed as everyone looks at you, while they are completely oblivious.

Maybe you are not fully "there"it is turning her off that a grown man would want to be in that state, similar to buying a Corvette during a midlife crises. I have nothing against it but I could see that it would be a problem if a spouse does not like it.

Old 11-20-2020, 10:06 AM

19,656 posts, read 12,251,755 times
There are a lot of milder and healthier methods to deal with insomnia. Many people skip right over them to look for an easy fix.

Old 11-20-2020, 10:10 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,226,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Interesting. Thanks! I have been using valerian in an OTC sleep aid called Alteril (it also contains melatonin and lemon balm). I use it with my usual indica edible every night and have not had any problems even when I continued using it during a tolerance break.

It would be helpful to find out what type of tincture the OP was using - whether it was indica, sativa or hybrid and how much THC he was getting in in each dose. Not all tinctures are the same. Some are stronger than others.

I've never used Sativa, always Indica. The tincture was Dr Jollys and was 56% THC. I used 1/2 of an eye dropper, which I'm pretty sure was way too much. In any event, I threw it all away. I'm able to get 6 hours of solid sleep, which for me is adequate to function optimally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness