Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 07:55 PM

61 posts, read 490,953 times

Advertisements

I know this sounds weird, but I've forgotten what normal feels like. I'm tired all the time and this is nothing new. I am hypothyroid, but my levels are fine. I have in the past been checked for diabetes and anemia and was fine. I'm going back in for a checkup. I can't stand being like this.

Anyway, what is normal when you have had enough sleep 6,7,8 hrs and work sitting down, not a very stressful job? I'm actually a student, but did office work in my past. Is it normal to be really lethargic when you sit all day? I get up to get something every few hours, but most of the time I am sitting. On rare occasions, I might get some exercise, but I never feel that good energy feeling. A lot of the time I feel like I could fall asleep, but don't and I have a sense of moving forward or backward too. The more tired I am the worse this is. I'm not sure if it is due to messed up neck/back muscles or if I have vertigo or something.

So what is normal tired when you should be rested? And does anybody have any ideas to what I could be experiencing? Thanks for any responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 08:12 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,167,793 times
Your thyroid of course will make you tired, are you on any meds?
Have you done full blood work done, to see if something may be out of whack, you possibly could be anemic, which will make you tired.

May be you should start an exercising routine, this will give you more energy. Try getting up in the morning and take a brisk walk before going to work. What other type of exercise do you do?
What type of food do you eat? Some foods might make you tired as well.
Sounds like you need an energy boost.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:52 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,290,070 times
Also if you are a caffeine drinker try eliminating caffeine about 6-8 hours before you sleep,I did this and I sleep so much sounder now.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:14 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,025,188 times
Have you been tested for pernicious anemia (the inability to absorb Vitamin B12)?

Old 05-05-2008, 06:32 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,014,209 times
Drink water. You may be dehyrated.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:20 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,575,016 times
I was born with a tired body and have always been a low engery person. My sister was the complete oppsite and I always was so jealous that she had all that energy and I had none. Once I went into menopause that changed, I now have a lot more energy than I have ever had in my whole life so I am thinking my problem was hormonal all those years. In day to day life I was tired, during my period, I would be completly drained and could sleep all day long. Menopause changed all that..

However, when I was on cholesterol medicine, that stuff completely zapped every ounce of energy I had and it was worse that those previous years. The only way to describe that was if I was a car battery, my battery was completely drained and nothing I did would recharge it. Soon as I quit that stuff, it all came back and did that feel GOOD!

Old 05-05-2008, 11:09 AM

61 posts, read 490,953 times
I'm on thyroid meds. I have been tested for anemia. I don't know what kind though. This has been going on for years and it doesn't get better. Exercise doesn't help it. I don't drink caffeine and I drink 12 glasses of water a day and nothing else usually. I am overweight, but I've talked with other overweight people and they don't have the same level of tired I do. They may be doping up on caffeine though. I suppose it could be hormonal. I have had hormonal issues in the past.

Half my day I eat well, veggies, fruits, whole grains, lean protein and some dairy. The other half usually comes in the form of a healthy frozen dinner or occasional fast food. (I know the fast food isn't the greatest) Even staying away from the fast food, I'm still tired. In fact the reason I eat the processed foods is because I don't have the energy to cook.

It is ruining my life. I drop classes at school because of it. I've dropped jobs because of it. I don't date because of it. I don't like driving because of it, but I do. I tend to stay home a lot because of it. I basically have no life at this point and I know I can't live like this for much longer. One I can't stand it, but it doesn't help me financially. I'm scared if this doesn't get better that I'll be living in my car when I'm old.

Anyway, it has been like this for many years and I'm just trying to figure out what it is. I don't have health insurance and can only go to the doctor so many times.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:12 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,540,967 times
Are you seeing a general doctor or an edocrinologist for your thyroid issues? I've had much better luck with endocrinologists. Many doctors are realizing that thyroid issues aren't always one size fits all and even though you may be testing in the normal range, you may in fact need a higher dose of thyroid medication to feel good.

I went to my general doctor suspecting I had thryoid issues. She tested me and told me I was fine. I still wasn't satisfied and saw an endocrinologist. She said that while my levels were in the normal range, they were in the low end of normal and gave me a low dose of medication to get me up to the mid range, and I feel much better.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:30 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,167,793 times
With any thyroid issue you must exercise, you can just get of the house and go for a walk, you don't have to do anything extreme. This should increase your energy. I know how it feels, you don't want to do nothing, you're constantly tired, etc. But may be, just may be, a little exercise can help, it wont hurt to give it a try. Are you taking any iron supplements? What about Kelp? Vitamin B12 for energy, anything?

What thyroid meds are you on? There are couple of different ones, may be this one isn't working that good?
Just a thought.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:31 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Have you been tested for sleep apnea? I know people who only got 60% oxygenation while sleeping, waking up 10-12 times per hour, which never allowed them to reach the deeper sleep stage that gives one the rest one really needs. Discuss it with your doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness