Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 06:24 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times

Advertisements

Entirely dependent upon how far along in puberty he is. For boys, puberty takes about 4 years usually. They grow two inches a year for the first two years, then 4 inches a year for the last two years. Then they're done growing. Overall, they grow about a foot from the onset of puberty. The first sign of puberty in boys is testicular enlargement (which only the pediatrician probably knows about, if he checked). Also onset of underarm odor is an early sign, although some boys don't stink noticeably. Average age for onset of puberty is 11 yrs old, normal range for onset is 9-13 yrs old. Signs of being near the end of puberty are facial hair, underarm hair.

So, your 14 yr old boy could be done growing, almost done growing, in the midst of the fastest growth, or only about to start the fastest growth. If he still looks like he's a 6th grader, he probably has most of his growth ahead of him. If he's shaving, it's about done.

The height of the parents in predicting future height is most accurate before the child is born. The older the child gets, the far less accurate, because of what I call the pubertal wild card. The later the onset of puberty, the taller the eventual height. Essentially, from about age 3 on, kids grow about 2 inches a year, then faster during puberty, and then they're done. So a kid who starts puberty at 9 vs 13, loses up to 8 inches that they might otherwise have had, because they miss out on up to 4 more years of that steady 2 inches a year pre-pubertal growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2020, 07:03 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Why are you so weird about your son's future when he is only 14?

Your other thread on him having a mediocre career because he only likes history in high school is a bit alarming.

Let him be a 14 year old and don't worry whether he is tall enough or what he majors in college.

Old 12-01-2020, 07:27 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,481,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
When I was 14 years, 6 months old, I was a bit undersized. But by the time I was 15 years, 6 months old, I'd grown 6 inches and put on 50 pounds. The bullies who had used smaller kids like me as punching bags before, acted very nervous when I was around. Some of them were above average size a year before, but they didn't grow much more and had found that the tables were turned on them.
Ditto my husband. He grew tremendously over the summer between 9th and 19th grades. He is 6’1”. My husband was bullied in middle school but was a bullied kid’s best bud in high school. Your son will grow at his own pace.

Old 12-01-2020, 08:11 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
I couldn't find age 14 info, but at 13, my son was 5'1". At 16, he's 6'1" and and at least a half inch of that was in the past couple of months so I suspect he's got some more growing left.

I knew someone who was 5'9" when he started college and 6'3" when he graduated.

The reality is that at best, you can make a guess, but there is no guarantee when or if your son will continue to grow. If he is already your height, he may very well be close to finished growing. If you are several inches taller than he is, and depending on the height of others in yours and his mother's family, he may still have several inches to go, or he may not.

Old 12-01-2020, 08:25 PM

22,138 posts, read 19,198,797 times
At age 13 I was my full height, and did not grow at all in height after that, my full adult height of 5' 2"
however i am female, and my understanding is that boys tend to keep growing after that.
My three sons did not reach their full height until age 18 or so.
My two younger sons are a head taller than my eldest son, even though he is two years older than they are.

Old 12-01-2020, 09:16 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,449,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Entirely dependent upon how far along in puberty he is. For boys, puberty takes about 4 years usually. They grow two inches a year for the first two years, then 4 inches a year for the last two years. Then they're done growing. Overall, they grow about a foot from the onset of puberty. The first sign of puberty in boys is testicular enlargement (which only the pediatrician probably knows about, if he checked). Also onset of underarm odor is an early sign, although some boys don't stink noticeably. Average age for onset of puberty is 11 yrs old, normal range for onset is 9-13 yrs old. Signs of being near the end of puberty are facial hair, underarm hair.

So, your 14 yr old boy could be done growing, almost done growing, in the midst of the fastest growth, or only about to start the fastest growth. If he still looks like he's a 6th grader, he probably has most of his growth ahead of him. If he's shaving, it's about done.

The height of the parents in predicting future height is most accurate before the child is born. The older the child gets, the far less accurate, because of what I call the pubertal wild card. The later the onset of puberty, the taller the eventual height. Essentially, from about age 3 on, kids grow about 2 inches a year, then faster during puberty, and then they're done. So a kid who starts puberty at 9 vs 13, loses up to 8 inches that they might otherwise have had, because they miss out on up to 4 more years of that steady 2 inches a year pre-pubertal growth.

^^ THIS^^

Our family is late puberty. Males start shaving at about 17 -18. I was about average height in junior high and then grew about 2 inches annually over the next five years reaching full height at 19 (6'2). My brother was 5'11 at HS Graduation and grew another 5 inches in college.

NBA great Michael Jordan was 5'11 in H.S. and played on the JV team.

Old 12-02-2020, 04:21 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
My kid is 5'7" in height, and he is 14 years and 4 months old right now.

Is there a way to estimate final height based on these data?

Or at least check the height "percentile" of the current age group? I remember getting this data from doctors when the kid was younger.
A pediatrician can make a projection based on bone age and/or puberty progression, but it could be off +/- a couple inches.

Old 12-02-2020, 06:05 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I am 5' 4" tall and my ex husband is 5' 7" tall. Our son is 6' 2". We have no idea where he came from.
Assuming you’re not about to be a guest on the Maury show, it could be that the height came from grandparents?

Old 12-02-2020, 06:59 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I am 5' 4" tall and my ex husband is 5' 7" tall. Our son is 6' 2". We have no idea where he came from.
Ha. My ex is 6'4" and his mother was about 5'2". I assumed his father was tall (he died when my ex was a teenager) but we were visiting their relatives once, and an aunt asked my MIL how two of her sons got to be so tall. Turned out his father was under six feet.

My height comes from my mother's side. She was 5'11, although she'd shrunk to 5'9" by the time she was 91, and her brothers were 6'7" and 6'8". My tallest brother is 6'5", but my shortest sister is only 5'7".

My father was originally 5'10" but he lost the lower part of his legs in WWII. When he was being fitted for prosthetic legs, the guy asked him how tall he wanted to be and he said six feet. Worked out OK for when he later met my mom.

But he would take off his legs at the end of the day, so when people asked how tall my parents were after seeing me, I would tell them that my father was adjustable.

It is interesting sometimes how different heights in children come out in a family.

Old 12-02-2020, 08:35 AM

24,597 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Nope. The only remote indicator would be parental height and even that’s not always accurate.

Some of the shortest people turn out to be the tallest once that growth sport hits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness