Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2020, 10:26 AM

134 posts, read 119,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
So hang them up for three weeks and you should be satisfied there's no virus on them. We have been isolating since March also.

Can't wait that long, thus the reason for the post. If I could, I would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2020, 10:48 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,672,528 times
OP, I understand that these precautions make you feel better and safer, but the fact is that they are almost certainly unnecessary and ineffective. There is published, peer-reviewed research that you are unlikely to become infected from surfaces, even if there is virus residue on them.

Wear a mask, avoid other people's breath, keep washing your hands, and get the vaccine when you can.

Old 12-14-2020, 11:55 AM

16,557 posts, read 19,738,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Wear a mask, avoid other people's breath, keep washing your hands, and get the vaccine when you can.
This. OP I get it, you may be at serious risk, I assume? You are going too far... to the point that it's almost unhealthy.

Old 12-14-2020, 12:17 PM

Based on the suggestions here as well as what I have been able to find elsewhere, I will open the coat/ thermal boxes outdoors, save the boxes in a safe place somewhere since I might return the contents if they don't fit, and then place each side of the clothing article under the light, then wear them. Bite my lip and hope that everything is killed. Thanks again for your responses.

Old 12-14-2020, 12:43 PM

9,209 posts, read 6,243,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Iverson View Post
Based on the suggestions here as well as what I have been able to find elsewhere, I will open the coat/ thermal boxes outdoors, save the boxes in a safe place somewhere since I might return the contents if they don't fit, and then place each side of the clothing article under the light, then wear them. Bite my lip and hope that everything is killed. Thanks again for your responses.
Don't bite your lip. Open wounds are an entry point for dangerous diseases.

Old 12-14-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillie767 View Post
don't bite your lip. Open wounds are an entry point for dangerous diseases.

:d

Old 12-14-2020, 12:59 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,992,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Iverson View Post
Jon, first of all....{{{{hugs}}}} I've been where you are.

I take it you are isolating by yourself. I had a nervous breakdown in April from the stress. I was alone and terrified, as I am high-risk and over 65. My estranged husband came back and took up residence in the guest house. He's been very patient with me, helping me overcome my fears.

Here's the main thing about the coronavirus: It decays over time. How much time? Depends on the surface. I'm sure you've seen the articles. A couple of days on treated wood. About a week on metal. 24 hours on cardboard. And so on.

You cited the viral material found on the cruise ship. What the articles didn't tell you was the researchers found fragments of the virus but none of it was infectious because, once again, the virus decays over time.

The other thing to remember about the virus is that it isn't really alive in the same way we're alive. It can't move by itself. It has no motive power. There's no tiny virus airship it can fly around looking for its next victim.

You're going to be just fine.

Old 12-14-2020, 01:47 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,665,410 times
This post does illustrate the level of fear out there.

I wear a mask when I can't social distance and wash my hands when I return from errands.

I sprayed a card that came in the mail from someone who actually has covid.

But there is no way I am afraid of packages or food delivery items.

I have read the guidance - I just choose to not live in terror of "what could possibly happen."

Old 12-14-2020, 02:14 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,259,986 times
I had open heart surgery, was in the hospital numerous times during the height of Covid....didnt get it surrounded by sick people everywhere & test negative every other week since....Jesus, wear the clothing.

Old 12-14-2020, 03:20 PM

Although I could refute some of what has been said here, I won't. My plan is as above. I will say that I am keeping plenty of zinc and vitamin C around at the present time. Four years ago, for a reason that took me months to figure out, I contracted probably half a dozen colds between summer and spring (mainly throughout the winter). That was my first real opportunity to test out zinc on colds. The result was that 80% of those colds lasted no more than 2-3 days. I read that colds and covid are cousins, so to speak, so there's a chance that zinc might reduce viral symptoms like it does with colds. I hope I don't have the opportunity to test this, but the zinc and vitamin C are standing by in case I do. At this point, I'm not counting on being able to get the vaccine anytime soon, or even if it's going to work. I will say that the H1N1 vaccine several years back did help me when I got that flu. Lasted one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness