Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 05:47 PM

20,953 posts, read 28,482,151 times

Advertisements

I understand about being Germ phobic but the OP is way over the top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2020, 08:41 PM

134 posts, read 119,325 times
Actually, decided to respond further. Based on many of the posts here.... I have decided to back off of my intensive decon and just stick with the basics. That means no more jackets in stoves for starters.

The virus is just that, a virus. In some ways, like a flu, some ways not but for now on more common sense and not so extreme I guess. If a box comes, just let it sit a bit if I have to, but otherwise open it and wash hands.

We all have a lot on our plates at the moment I'm sure and I sure don't want to add more.

Old 12-16-2020, 09:30 PM

9,886 posts, read 7,772,507 times
So 8 minutes later you post this:

My neighbor and I decided to trade jackets today. He got a brand new down and i had a winter sport coat/ jacket that he wanted. Both items are new and once we saw one another in them and how good they looked, decided to make the exchange. Problem is that the down jacket has a bit of an odor. Any idea why? Could it just be the "newness" of it and will wear off over time? Not a strong odor, but noticeable. Thanks.

Did you ask him how he disinfected his jacket? Did you get near him? Did you wear a mask? Did you disinfect his jacket when you got it home?

Old 12-16-2020, 09:35 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,997,615 times
^Goose down smells once it gets wet.

Old 12-16-2020, 10:13 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,261,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post

My neighbor and I decided to trade jackets today. He got a brand new down and i had a winter sport coat/ jacket that he wanted. Both items are new and once we saw one another in them and how good they looked, decided to make the exchange. Problem is that the down jacket has a bit of an odor. Any idea why? Could it just be the "newness" of it and will wear off over time? Not a strong odor, but noticeable. Thanks.

Did you ask him how he disinfected his jacket? Did you get near him? Did you wear a mask? Did you disinfect his jacket when you got it home?
This.

Old 12-16-2020, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
^Goose down smells once it gets wet.

Didn't seem wet unless it got wet during shipping. I suppose that's possible.

Old 12-16-2020, 11:13 PM

Quote:

And your point is?

Old 12-17-2020, 07:17 AM

9,886 posts, read 7,772,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Iverson View Post
And your point is?
I don't understand your thinking. You are worried about how to disinfect a coat that's been in a box for days yet don't seem worried about taking a coat that's actually being worn by a real person, who could have Covid.

Old 12-17-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
I don't understand your thinking. You are worried about how to disinfect a coat that's been in a box for days yet don't seem worried about taking a coat that's actually being worn by a real person, who could have Covid.

Well, if it's any consolation, here goes: Both of us are currently out of work and live in isolation. He has a wife who is working, but she gets tested every so often. The coat I exchanged with him had already been through my decon process. Whether or not the coat I received was, I didn't know, and he provided it as he received it in the shipping bag. So I came here for suggestions since it was the first item I have received that I wasn't sure how to decontaminate. Does that answer your question or concerns?? (Oh, and the winter sport jacket I considered an easy decon because I just sprayed it down with rubbing alcohol. I had already done this with a prior coat of the same construction so knew it would not damage it. The down and wool are a different story, however).

Old 12-17-2020, 11:56 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,675,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Iverson View Post
Actually, decided to respond further. Based on many of the posts here.... I have decided to back off of my intensive decon and just stick with the basics. That means no more jackets in stoves for starters.

The virus is just that, a virus. In some ways, like a flu, some ways not but for now on more common sense and not so extreme I guess. If a box comes, just let it sit a bit if I have to, but otherwise open it and wash hands.

We all have a lot on our plates at the moment I'm sure and I sure don't want to add more.
I'm glad you made this decision. I think that reducing your anxiety will improve your quality of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness