Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 05:50 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,216,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretBartle View Post
Mini crock pot.
I'd augment that recommendation with an Instant Pot DUO mini 3-Quart 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer
$59

Basically, it's a thermostatically controlled programmable pressure cooker/slow cooker (like a crock pot)/steamer/ etc.
It will safer to operate, too.

There are larger sizes, too (6 qt, 8 qt) But cooking for one (or two) won't require them.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Instant-P...rmer/754226925
: : : : better deal? : : : :
THIS one is a HOLIDAY SPECIAL:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Instant-P...izer/562129090
$49
https://instantpot.com/wp-content/up...nglish_web.pdf
Instant Pot VIVA Black Stainless 6-Quart 9-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Cake Maker, Egg Cooker, Sauté, with Sous Vide and Sterilizer:
Easy to use multi-cooker pressure cooks quickly and is also a sous vide, sauté pan, slow cooker, rice and grain cooker, food warmer, yogurt maker, cake maker and sterilizer
Cooks up to 70% faster
15 preset programs for soups, beans, rice, ribs, eggs and more - take the guesswork out of cooking and makes it easy to cook dishes everyone will love
Includes 3 new programs: cake, egg, and sterilize
Settings like Sous Vide and Cake make preparing chef-quality entrees and desserts a snap
10+ built-in safety features, including OverHeat Protection(TM), Safety Lock and more, ensure safe pressure cooking
Stainless steel (inner liner) pot is healthy and dishwasher safe
Cooks for up to 6 people
If you like the flavor / texture of Campbell's condensed soups, you'll love your own pressure cooked versions.
You can innumerable accessories to "stack" cook different items.
Ex: An egg rack for hard boiled eggs, topped off with a steamer tray for diced potatoes = one pot potato salad. (add chopped celery, etc)

"Exotic" items like pressure steamed bread can be made. (has a texture similar to bagels)
https://www.hippressurecooking.com/p...me-real-bread/

Sous-vide is a new feature not found on older models. Basically, it maintains a water bath at a set temperature so your food cooks to perfection - never overcooked.
Sous-vide appliances run $99 and up. If it comes built-in, great.
Sous-vide is great for delicate fish fillets, thick cuts of meat -cheaper the better, and so on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sous_vide
The use of temperatures much lower than those used for conventional cooking is an essential feature of sous vide, resulting in much higher succulence at these lower temperatures, as cell walls in plant-based food do not burst. In the case of meat cooking, tough collagen in connective tissue can be hydrolysed into gelatin, without heating the meat's proteins high enough that they denature to a degree that the texture toughens and moisture is wrung out of the meat.
. . .
In plain inglitch: tender, juicy, and perfectly cooked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2020, 06:28 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,523,914 times
Community/Open Kitchens.
@Blondebaerde, when this CoVid is over, I extend an invite to Redmond's Kitchen.
I am generally the last to get a meal. In my town (https://openkitchenredmond.com/), the Kitchen, generally, wants me to take away more than my 1+1 meal...because they get reimbursed by the number of meals they serve. Any excess, prepared food, will go into the garbage or to the tent city. ...Redmond's Kitchen is also another distribution point for the FoodBank.

I can attest that Kirkland's community kitchen was/is pretty good. I attended their 2019 Thanksgiving Meal.
Better than Redmond's. Redmond has a meal every Wed. Kirkland's just once/month.

It's a community kitchen for people to gather.
It's also a way to distribute to the needy and surplus foods.
I donate $$ and this is a way for me to monitor how the funds are used.

Old 12-16-2020, 06:39 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,523,914 times
@ Simpleton 1989;
The local Mexican grocer also has a butcher.
Depending on your digestion, chicharron de puerco, (fried pork belly) is really inexpensive where I live.
A couple -4 inches will jump your calories.
Doesn't affect me.

Old 12-17-2020, 05:31 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,332,006 times
Rice & beans. Beans & rice.

Old 12-17-2020, 06:23 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
If you can have a slow cooker, toaster oven, microwave, and or an electric skillet you can make plenty of meals. Of course that also depends on if you have access to a refrigerator to store certain foods. Old fashion oats can be prepared in the microwave in a large bowl. It’s cheap and doesn’t require refrigeration. Dry beans can be cooked in a slow cooker along with sausage and seasoning. There is a pot made for cooking rice in the microwave. Beans and rice with sausage is a great meal. The slow cooker could also be used to make a hearty chili. An electric skillet and toaster oven may not be allowed by landlord. If it is allowed they can be used for many small meal options. A toaster oven can cook a small frozen pizza, chicken breast, and other foods. An electric skillet usually comes with an owners manual that has recipes you can try. It has a thermostat that indicates when it’s reached the desired temperature. I’ve done ground beef in an electric skillet to make a chili-Mac meal. I’ve even done fish, chicken, and beef liver in an electric skillet. An Instant Pot may be out your price range but it does cook faster and safer than an electric skillet.

Old 12-17-2020, 06:51 AM

5,453 posts, read 4,058,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Where is he supposed to raise chicken in his room?
Not to mention walking home from the feed store with a 50 lb. bag of chicken feed. Lol.

Old 12-17-2020, 07:09 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,683,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Not to mention walking home from the feed store with a 50 lb. bag of chicken feed. Lol.
Some of these recommendations don’t seem to take into account that the claimant has no car and lives in a room. I don’t think it is a matter of getting the food, but preparing it and storing it. A mini fridge and instant pot will give him the most bank for his buck. You can also do a lot with a rice cooker.

Old 12-17-2020, 12:40 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Where is he supposed to raise chicken in his room?
In his bedroom closet, obviously. Jeesh!

Old 12-17-2020, 02:52 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,693,981 times
Egg and butter do not need to be refrigerated. Neither does cooking oil, and fats are a great source of calories. If you can get a microwave, nuke a couple medium potatoes, add butter and salt and pepper, and enjoy. Ramen noodles are cheap, and if you add a handful of chopped vegetables, not even that unhealthy.

You can cook meats and even bake in a crock pot. Pork is the cheapest meat at the market, and very high calorie. You can make a great crock pot pot roast with a small cut of pork, a package of frozen mixed vegetables, a couple cubed potatoes and an onion. Make your own burritos. Tortillas keep well without refrigeration.

Old 12-17-2020, 04:12 PM

6,825 posts, read 10,527,026 times
Get yourself a microwave or at least a coffee pot. There are some things you can cook just using the hot water of the coffee pot like ramen. But microwave gives you a ton of options. In the mean time - sandwiches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness