Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2020, 07:40 PM

217 posts, read 142,134 times

Advertisements

I rent a room so I can't cook. It's costing me a lot to get my calories. I'm underweight (started 118 LBs even tho i'm 5'11 male, don't ask, I had a serious disorder, i'm 132 LBs now). I'm supposed to get 2000 - 2800 cals a day. Not sure how to achieve this; been eating a lot of junk food since it is easy to get my cals there; but it's getting expensive because i use delivery (I have no car either).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2020, 08:02 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,076,286 times
When I was young I didn’t have much money.
I used to have to travel for work and stay at motels.
I ate a lot of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
I also ate a lot of sardines.
Not sure if this helps but I hope it does.

Old 12-14-2020, 08:04 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
Even if you have no kitchen, you can buy a hot plate or a crock pot & cook meals. Or an electric griddle. What do you want to eat?

Old 12-14-2020, 08:08 PM

217 posts, read 142,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
When I was young I didn’t have much money.
I used to have to travel for work and stay at motels.
I ate a lot of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
I also ate a lot of sardines.
Not sure if this helps but I hope it does.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Even if you have no kitchen, you can buy a hot plate or a crock pot & cook meals. Or an electric griddle. What do you want to eat?
Whatever helps with my calorie goal...

Old 12-14-2020, 08:12 PM

Well there are many small appliances you can use in a room, to cook whatever food you like. Just buy small amounts if you have no where to store them. Or keep a small cooler on hand

Old 12-14-2020, 08:46 PM

6,149 posts, read 4,514,052 times
Some suggestions on what to eat to put on some weight:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...t/faq-20058429

Old 12-15-2020, 10:34 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Food banks. Literally just google "food bank near me".

I was in a food insecure situation in my mid 20s and never dreamed I would use such a thing. In fact, I thought they would simply refuse to give food to a single man unless I was clearly homeless, but they are for anyone who is having a hard time making ends meet which is increasingly the reality for millions of Americans of all backgrounds.

I was able to get things like canned chili, Spam, canned and fresh fruits and vegetables, oats, sausages, pasta, jarred tomato sauce, bread, butter, oil, salt, and even some basic spices like pepper, oregano, and parsley. It really got me over a few tough months until I could find a job that offered full time hours at more than $10/hr.

Get a hot plate. There are some good ones for cheap. Get a saucepan and a frying pan and utensils at a thriftshop. Watch some basic cooking videos if you don't know what to do.

Old 12-15-2020, 11:37 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpleton1989 View Post
I rent a room so I can't cook. It's costing me a lot to get my calories. I'm underweight (started 118 LBs even tho i'm 5'11 male, don't ask, I had a serious disorder, i'm 132 LBs now). I'm supposed to get 2000 - 2800 cals a day. Not sure how to achieve this; been eating a lot of junk food since it is easy to get my cals there; but it's getting expensive because i use delivery (I have no car either).
Do you have access to any kind of kitchen or area where you can prep and clean up?

Old 12-15-2020, 11:45 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpleton1989 View Post
Protein shakes are the default model. Food banks and similar, if you can and the previous is not feasible. Hope it works out.

Edit: they (food banks, both small and large) exist in my town, one of the more-affluent in the area. As another reply pointed out hunger can linger all sorts of places. Not playing the martyr one bit but I bring canned goods to various impromptu drop offs around town, one being about two miles up the road in a residential neighborhood. It's a small give-back to the community and I have extra...for which I am profoundly grateful and fortunate. Products seem to come and go, a tide-you-over and take-as-needed thing. Pretty sure I found out via social media indicating it's not nearly so useless as I previously thought.

Old 12-15-2020, 11:53 AM

Pasta is very easy to cook. If you have a hot plate, boil water, add pasta, & cook it, then when that is done, heat up sauce, add frozen meatballs or fry some ground meats. Peanut butter sandwiches are super easy & need no refrigeration. Get a cooler & fill it with ice to keep some food on hand. Do you have a supermarket within walking distance? And yes, use food banks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness