Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 09:05 PM

166 posts, read 482,680 times

Advertisements

I have had Psoriasis since I was a baby so it was something I was used to having. Then, about three years ago I was diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis. Always knew it was a possibility but figured the odds were low; obviously not low enough

At any rate, I have been through a whole regiment of medications: Methotrexate, Arava, Remicade, Prednisone, DMARDs, NSAIDs, Hydrocodone and a week ago I started Humira.

It works FABULOUSLY....in a couple of days my joints felt enormously better and added bonus....my skin is clearing rapidly (oh my gosh I might be able to wear shorts this summer!!!).

Over the last two days I started developing a side effect of throat pain. Similar to a sore throat - but kind of different - I would say it is more tender and you can really feel every swallow. Now it is developing into a cough as well. I called the 24 hour Humira nurse and then called my doctor who said keep an eye on it and if it doesn't get better don't take the next shot.

I am so bummed - anyone who has these diseases knows the elation when something works which is usually followed by extreme disappointment when they stop working.

I do my best to keep my chin up and have a positive attitude....I try to laugh whenever I can but right now I just want to cry. I am tired and I want a break. I am only 36. I just want one summer where I don't have to be in constant pain or embarrased by my skin. I want to wear a dress and feel pretty. Sorry, this just turned into a big bummer of a post.....

Is there anyone out there that has been through this or knows what this feels like??

I feel really alone in dealing with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 09:22 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,540,707 times
Maybe if you are having side effects with Humira, you might want to try Enbrel? I think Enbrel is similar to Humira and also treats both psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:26 PM

166 posts, read 482,680 times
It is similar to Humira and it is next on the list, and if that doesn't work then we are going to look at Raptiva and Amevieve.

Thank you kindly for the suggestion.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:47 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,540,707 times
Well good luck to you. I've had problems with psoriasis (not psoriatic arthritis) and used to go tanning all the time (which I hated doing because I'm very fair skinned so the skin cancer risk, wrinkles, etc.) to keep it under control and also was using creams that didn't seem to do much. So finally I got fed up and decided to try enbrel. It's worked great and I haven't had any side effects after 2 years. I've never tried Humira.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:37 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,074,221 times
You're so not alone. My psoriasis isn't as bad now as it used to be, but I well remember all the summers of trying to find light tops with long sleeves (and forget the shorts!). The worst were the patches on the face, not much I could do with those. I lived for winter so I could cover up.

My occasional patches now seem to be kept under control with a cream and I've found that taking a good fish oil supplement seems to help.

I know that summer can be the toughest time of the year - I hope you've found a treatment that will let you enjoy it.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:28 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,263,873 times
My mother use to be crusted up all over with psoriasis, and I mean it was bad. Not on her face though. She'd use the stinking tar treatments and B12 shots which didn't help much. She also had the arthritis later on.

For some reason around 60 yrs old after my father died it all miraculously cleared up with no treatment. Can't say it was because they had a contentious relationship because the family was always peaceful and loving and prosperous. Don't know if it was a result of her HiBP meds because she had been taking them forever. So there may be hope.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:39 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,309,575 times
Don't want to appear like I'm preaching here, but just posted this in another section and maybe it can help ..

Took a bottle of oil of oregano over to my mother a couple of wks ago, and she seems to be having good results with her psoriasis, by rubbing a little where needed.

It can be used orally and topically. Something to look for when purchasing it though, as there are many brands out there on the market .. the higher the carvacrol, the better, as it's the active ingredient responsible for it's effectiveness. Should be 75% or higher, course the higher, the more expensive. Around the $20 range. But it's good for so many things. It's been around forever, but being rediscovered with the resurgence of natural medicine, and now recognized as one of the most powerful and useful natural remedies available today.

Check it out on the internet .. too much info to put down here .. but here's a list of some of the ailments that it's good for:

Colds & Flus
combats viral & bacterial infections
boosts the immune system
relieves sore throat
eases congestion in lungs & sinuses
relieves coughing

Skin Conditions reduces Acne pimples & clogged pores
heals dry & cracked skin, rashes & sores
sunburn: repairs tissue & speeds healing
helps with Psoriasis & Eczema
relieves itchy skin & Dandruff
treats scabies & head lice
combats foot & nail fungus
reduces swelling & pain from insect bites
mosquito repellent!

Respiratory & Sinus Conditions
attacks viral, bacterial & mold infections
eases congestion of lungs & sinuses
relieves coughing
aids respiratory disorders & breathing difficulties
Chronic Bronchitis, Sinusitis, Pneumonia
Rhinitis, Allergies, Whooping Cough

Sore Muscles & Joints
reduces pain & inflammation
relaxes tight muscles & spasms
speeds healing & improves mobility
assists with muscle cramping, and menstrual cramps
injuries: sprains, strains, torn muscles & ligaments
Arthritis, Rheumatism, Bursitis, Tendonitis,
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Burns, Wounds, Cuts, Bruises & Blisters
reduces pain & inflammation
speeds healing
disinfects & treats infection
reduces bruising

Mouth Conditions
relieves the pain of toothaches & fights the infection
gum disease, recessions & abscesses
disinfects mouth, cleans teeth & freshens breath
effective on Cold Sores

Digestive Conditions
relieves indigestion, bloating & gas
eases intestinal cramps & pain
treats nausea and diarrhea
combats acidity & heartburn
relaxes and soothes stomach & intestinal lining
attacks viral, bacterial & fungal infections
combats intestinal worms & bugs
stimulates excretion of bile by liver to aid in digestion
prescribed by Naturopaths for IBS, Colitis & Crohn's

A List of Infection-Related Conditions
Note* Certain conditions listed here are often infection-related, but not always. If in doubt, visit a trusted health professional for diagnosis, before using Oil of Oregano for its antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal or antiparasitic properties.
  • Candida Infections
  • Acne Pimples & Ingrown Hairs
  • Psoriasis & Eczema*
  • Dandruff*
  • Fingernail & Toenail Fungus
  • Warts (hands & feet)
  • Athlete's Foot
  • Jock Itch
  • Colds & Flus
  • Sore Throat
  • Respiratory Infections
  • Sinusitis
  • Pneumonia
  • Chronic Bronchitis
  • Allergies
  • Tonsillitis & Laryngitis
  • Ear Infections
  • Arthritis*
  • Infected Cuts, Wounds & Burns
  • Animal Bites
  • Tooth infections
  • Gum Disease, Recessions & Absesses
  • Canker Sores
  • Cold Sores & other Herpes Outbreaks
  • Bed Sores
  • Boils
  • Diaper Rash*
  • Prostate Disorders*
  • Spinal Infections
  • Hospital Infections
  • Food Poisoning & Water-borne Illnesses
  • Giardiasis
  • Stomach & Intestinal Infections
  • Irritable Bowel Syndrome*
  • Colitis & Chrohn's*
  • Bladder Infections
  • Urinary Tract Infections
  • Kidney Infections
  • Measles, Mumps & Chicken Pox
  • Shingles
  • Ringworm & Rosacea
  • Scabies & Head Lice
  • Worms & Flukes
  • Impetigo
  • Peptic Ulcers
  • Tuberculosis
  • Lyme Disease

Old 05-08-2008, 12:12 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,220,811 times
Rule of thumb....

Any product that claims effectiveness against as many varied conditions as the one above is usually absolutely useless against any of them..

Caveat emptor

Old 05-10-2008, 10:18 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,309,575 times
I must say, I'm a little surprised by your response bluedevilz.

The member who started this thread was asking for any helpful advice. I stated that it's helping my mother's psoriasis, and have experienced myself, many helpful benefits from oregano oil.

Not trying to say it's a cure-all for everything, but if something helps, then why not give it a whirl? Especially if it's not another prescription drug.

What is useless, is negativity.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:13 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,220,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone-ground View Post
I must say, I'm a little surprised by your response bluedevilz.

The member who started this thread was asking for any helpful advice. I stated that it's helping my mother's psoriasis, and have experienced myself, many helpful benefits from oregano oil.

Not trying to say it's a cure-all for everything, but if something helps, then why not give it a whirl? Especially if it's not another prescription drug.

What is useless, is negativity.
Not saying its a cure all?? What disease states exactly did you leave out of the above list that oregano oil supposedly helps????

No reason to believe oregano oil is helpful for any illness based on nothing but testimonials and anecdote.

No clinical trials to suggest oregano oil has any benefit to humans...

What is useless is false hope and quackery in my opinion...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness