Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2020, 07:10 AM

2,706 posts, read 2,206,897 times

Advertisements

For several years my eyes have got worse and worse. The issue is they are constantly blurring up where I have to blink to clear them up. I just went to another eye doctor for new glasses and the results were about the same as the last four years. I was hoping new glasses would help, but they don't. They are worse when driving and on my laptop. I have reduced the brightness on my laptop as much as possible being it hurts my eyes. I have always had issues with the bright sun where I have to wear a cap and sunglasses most of the time. At times my eyes will blur so bad that I cannot ready anything for about 10 minutes. I can't even read the closed captioning on my TV when this happens.

My last eye doctor did say I had a cataract

on my right eye, but it was not bad enough for surgery. She also took a picture of my eyes. The picture for my right eye was blurry. She made a comment about that what I was seeing was probably more blurry than the picture. But my blurring issue is with both eyes.

Any suggestions about this is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2020, 08:36 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
All I can tell you is that I had "early" cataracts but they were there, and the doctor told me that they will only get worse over time so if I wanted to, I could go ahead and have the surgery and replace the lenses, which I did - it's a one time fix for a lifetime so why wait for things to get worse?

Prior to the surgery, what took me to the eye doctor was that I was experiencing just more and more eye drama, for lack of a better phrase. Fluctuating vision, blurry sometimes and sometimes not, inability to wear contacts, etc. I was just like "UGH!" But I really, really needed corrective lenses and had since I was about 40. I put them on first thing in the morning (glasses) and took them off as I turned out the light at night.

As soon as I had the cataract surgery, I realized I don't need to wear glasses at all. Not even readers. It's amazing!

I am 58 so a bit on the young side for the surgery.

Old 12-19-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
All I can tell you is that I had "early" cataracts but they were there, and the doctor told me that they will only get worse over time so if I wanted to, I could go ahead and have the surgery and replace the lenses, which I did - it's a one time fix for a lifetime so why wait for things to get worse?

Prior to the surgery, what took me to the eye doctor was that I was experiencing just more and more eye drama, for lack of a better phrase. Fluctuating vision, blurry sometimes and sometimes not, inability to wear contacts, etc. I was just like "UGH!" But I really, really needed corrective lenses and had since I was about 40. I put them on first thing in the morning (glasses) and took them off as I turned out the light at night.

As soon as I had the cataract surgery, I realized I don't need to wear glasses at all. Not even readers. It's amazing!

I am 58 so a bit on the young side for the surgery.
Did you have cataracts in both eyes?

Old 12-19-2020, 09:43 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,067,125 times
I had cataracts & it was amazing how much I saw once they were removed. I left them in for years as I was chicken about the surgery, that was a big mistake. Do your eyes get dry? Maybe try some artificial tears. I would maybe go to another Eye Dr, & see if they can find out why you are getting such blurry vision. A proper ophthalmologist, not a tech.

Old 12-19-2020, 10:03 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,216,649 times
I have dry eye, which causes my eyes to tear constantly, particularly when outside, and if the sun is shining, even with sunglasses they still tear up. I should probably see an eye doctor, but it's annoying more then anything else.

Old 12-19-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I had cataracts & it was amazing how much I saw once they were removed. I left them in for years as I was chicken about the surgery, that was a big mistake. Do your eyes get dry? Maybe try some artificial tears. I would maybe go to another Eye Dr, & see if they can find out why you are getting such blurry vision. A proper ophthalmologist, not a tech.
My last eye doctor was different from the one I used the last two times. I did have an appointment with an ophthalmologist, but Covid cancelled it.

Old 12-19-2020, 11:16 AM

6,136 posts, read 4,498,140 times
I had cataracts at 41 and had both eyes done and can see very well with glasses (which need replacing but covid). I also had the light sensitivity which the dr said was crystal formation on the back of the lens cap. There's a certain hour on a sunny day that I can't see a thing, even with sunglasses and a hat; it's maddening and nothing to be done. He tried to scrape some off while doing the cataracts, but no dice.

No one knows where I got this at such an early age, but in the recovery room there was a young woman holding a baby who had been born with congenital cataracts. So age means nothing. But OMG when I got home, the colors! All the colors I hadn't been seeing. Some dust and other stuff we won't discuss, too.

Old 12-19-2020, 11:39 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,182,815 times
I just had my eyes examined this past Tuesday and ordered new glasses. I was told I have cataracts. The doctor suggested I get an exam every year now instead of every two years. I am absolutely terrified! I do not want that surgery! I hope they don't grow fast. I hope the doc saying every year means they are only beginning. I hope, I hope!

Old 12-19-2020, 02:27 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,804,420 times
Get a second opinion from an ophthalmologist, NOT an optometrist.

Old 12-19-2020, 02:43 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,751,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post

No one knows where I got this at such an early age, but in the recovery room there was a young woman holding a baby who had been born with congenital cataracts. So age means nothing. But OMG when I got home, the colors! All the colors I hadn't been seeing. Some dust and other stuff we won't discuss, too.
Many years ago in high school I was in music classes with an incredibly gifted vocalist with inoperable cataracts. We sat together as we sang the same parts, I read music easily, and have a good sense of pitch. So, I'd play or sing the notes, she'd learn them from me. Then her wonderful voice would drown mine out. My voice is quavery and wimpy. It was one ability I would have given a lot to exchange. She was gracious and friendly and it was a true pleasure to hear her perform. By the time we graduated she was functionally blind. I'm sure she would rather have had her vision.

Times, choices, and procedures have changed. If you are still having problems OP don't do nothing. Covid-19 might have caused one appointment cancellation but it probably won't now because doctors have gotten better patient protocols in place. Get a second opinion and an actual diagnosis from a true ophthalmologist. Glasses may not be what you need.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-19-2020 at 03:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness