Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2020, 12:53 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,787,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
My mom can't have anesthesia. She's had back, wrist, shoulder surgeries and a knee replacement using nerve block injections. She is 100% awake the entire time. She's getting her hip replaced next.

I had my cataract surgeries with just numbing eye drops. It was still uncomfortable but the surgeries were short. They did give Xanax pill beforehand which helped. I was expecting to get some mild sedation. They put an IV in for it but didn't use it. The anesthesiologist said I "didn't need it". I guess they make the determination by monitoring vitals etc.
I recall a discussion with an anesthesiologist about my options. As already mentioned, I prefer to be awake as my biology brain finds everything interesting and I'm not a squeamish nervous person. He commented that many people find they simply can't sit or lie still enough long enough. Some patients say they're sure they'll will be fine without anything other than a local block, but he's found many times as procedures proceed it isn't always the case. The patient's vitals hint they are starting to get overwhelmed. Their mind may be racing thinking about what's going to happen, is happening, plus their imagination and understandable anxiety over the "what-ifs". They may not feel any pain from the procedure itself, but surgical tables aren't comfortable for very long. Discomfort or stiffness somewhere else can make it hard not to move. Right when your surgeon is handling really sharp objects!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2020, 01:59 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,360,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I recall a discussion with an anesthesiologist about my options. As already mentioned, I prefer to be awake as my biology brain finds everything interesting and I'm not a squeamish nervous person. He commented that many people find they simply can't sit or lie still enough long enough. Some patients say they're sure they'll will be fine without anything other than a local block, but he's found many times as procedures proceed it isn't always the case. The patient's vitals hint they are starting to get overwhelmed. Their mind may be racing thinking about what's going to happen, is happening, plus their imagination and understandable anxiety over the "what-ifs". They may not feel any pain from the procedure itself, but surgical tables aren't comfortable for very long. Discomfort or stiffness somewhere else can make it hard not to move. Right when your surgeon is handling really sharp objects!
Exactly - a surgical table isn't like a padded mattress and surgery often entails being positioned somewhat unnaturally for long periods of time.

These are things lots of patients don't consider that obviously the doctor/surgeon would try to anticipate for them and advise them. The doctor wants a successful procedure, medically and if the patient's desires can't be accommodated then the procedure may have to be cancelled if it can't be done safely.

Old 12-24-2020, 02:05 PM

6,340 posts, read 2,892,672 times
Quote:
They may not feel any pain from the procedure itself, but surgical tables aren't comfortable for very long.
Out of all the surgeries I've had I only had one table that was horrible - for my shoulder surgery. It took them 3 hours and maybe it would have been tough on THAT table. But still - why not get a better table so people don't have to put all the way under and intubated?

Old 12-24-2020, 02:34 PM

14,938 posts, read 12,136,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Out of all the surgeries I've had I only had one table that was horrible - for my shoulder surgery. It took them 3 hours and maybe it would have been tough on THAT table. But still - why not get a better table so people don't have to put all the way under and intubated?
The table might not be the entire source of that discomfort. It might also be the position they have to put you in for the surgery.

Old 12-24-2020, 02:43 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,360,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
I had a neuroma between I think 3rd and 4th toes removed under local. They did an ankle block with lidocaine. The block was extremely unpleasant (would not have been NEARLY as bad if they had bothered to buffer the lidocaine with bicarb), but after that it was smooth sailing, and I was able to drive myself home.

I've also had upper and lower endoscopy done with only viscous lidocaine to back of throat to numb gag reflex. Easy.

I KNOW that most docs would prefer to put the patient out for THEIR ease, not for the patient's sake. But local is much safer for the patient. Plus anesthesiologists make a killing doing these unnecessary easy brief general anesthesias, especially in outpatient surgicenters. And while your colonoscopy may be covered as "well care", the general anesthesia is NOT, and goes to your deductible, to the tune of a thousand bucks.

Point is, if you have the stomach for it, insist on local, and if the doc refuses, find someone else.
No doubt! I plan to have my colonoscopy without anesthesia and even mentioning such a thing on here gets people up in arms! The expense, and the difficulty finding someone to give you a ride given that in Europe they think we're wusses for using anesthesia is amazong.

So I'm surprised to actually see this topic as most people absolutely won't hear of going without it - with the belief that if that is the "standard" that it most certainly is because it'd be torture without anesthesia.

Old 12-24-2020, 02:53 PM

14,938 posts, read 12,136,035 times
Quote:
Well, I can see the fascination a "biology brain" might show towards seeing the details of surgery, or the insides. I have a biology brain too, but for some reason, while I might be able to appreciate seeing these details in someone else's surgery, there is no way I want to see my own.

So true about the patient's vital signs, or even little mannerisms/habits they engage in subconsciously under tense conditions making their anxiety obvious. My blood pressure always gives away my anxiety under those conditions even when I've taken my meds as instructed.

I recall a number of years ago having a breast lumpectomy in an outpatient setting. I'd had them before and we were all but certain it was not malignant, so I didn't feel nervous, just wanted to get it over with. The surgeon gave me a local block. I didn't feel a thing and would have been fine with the local. But as the surgery was about to begin, without even realizing what I was doing, I started jiggling my foot. The surgeon stopped, asked what was moving, what was I doing, and I realized what I was doing with the foot, just as the nurse realized that too. We all laughed, but he asked me if I was nervous. I denied it, but they were not convinced, and the surgeon insisted on giving me a shot of versed. It did help, I'll admit. I was still awake, but I didn't give a hoot.

Old 12-24-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
No doubt! I plan to have my colonoscopy without anesthesia and even mentioning such a thing on here gets people up in arms! The expense, and the difficulty finding someone to give you a ride given that in Europe they think we're wusses for using anesthesia is amazong.

So I'm surprised to actually see this topic as most people absolutely won't hear of going without it - with the belief that if that is the "standard" that it most certainly is because it'd be torture without anesthesia.
Hmm, I doubt most people here get up in arms over someone's choice to get anesthesia or not per se. What they may get up in arms about is what some people tell us they're using to make that decision...preconceptions, my Aunt Fanny rumor mill, media scare fare, all-doctors-are-evil-mainstream-medicine-is-a-ripoff paranoia, etc. Not actual practical understanding, previous experience, or knowledge.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-24-2020 at 03:14 PM..

Old 12-24-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I recall a number of years ago having a breast lumpectomy in an outpatient setting. I'd had them before and we were all but certain it was not malignant, so I didn't feel nervous, just wanted to get it over with. The surgeon gave me a local block. I didn't feel a thing and would have been fine with the local. But as the surgery was about to begin, without even realizing what I was doing, I started jiggling my foot. The surgeon stopped, asked what was moving, what was I doing, and I realized what I was doing with the foot, just as the nurse realized that too. We all laughed, but he asked me if I was nervous. I denied it, but they were not convinced, and the surgeon insisted on giving me a shot of versed. It did help, I'll admit. I was still awake, but I didn't give a hoot.
Exactly. Something similar happened to me but jiggling wasn't confined to a FOOT! Brain might be OK but it seemed to be disconnected from the body or that body wasn't listening!

Old 12-24-2020, 06:17 PM

15,630 posts, read 10,385,367 times
I had a minor procedure a few years ago. i requested a local anesthetic instead of general and was declined by both my surgeon and insurance company. why? who knows. my choice was overruled. the minor procedure turned out well, but i would have much preferred a local. general anesthetic gives me the creeps. I hated waking up from it.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 12-24-2020 at 06:26 PM..

Old 12-24-2020, 08:13 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,379,877 times
I've been given a choice of anesthesia or not for a few outpatient procedures. No anesthesia usually means you go home sooner and can drive and function normally the rest of the day, so I go that route. It's sometimes uncomfortable.

For some surgeries, they strap you into a weird position. After my last surgery, my left elbow was messed up for months, with pain and tingling all down my arm. Hospital policy was not to do anything about that until six weeks went by, because it would "clear up in its own." Mine took much longer than that, so they gave me a padded elbow cushion that did nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness