Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2021, 04:22 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,475,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
I just tested positive for Covid & I have no symptoms. It was done as part of a required screening to travel....so I was totally surprised & devastated. I can’t believe that I really have it...AND my fiancé was negative. Has anybody else been tested that thinks it was a false positive?

Thank you.
You both have to quarantine. Brother (positive-flu symptoms) and sister-in-law (no symptoms).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2021, 06:00 PM

724 posts, read 397,489 times
From what I have heard and read, many people who test positive for COVID who are asympotomatc, develop symptoms 3-5 days later after the test. As to your question, the governor of Ohio and Nick Saban (the first time, he really got it later), famously were asymptomatic and had with False Positive tests (later confirmed they weren't positive for COVID).

I would recommend re-testing if you really feel like you had no exposures. Reason being, there is still a lot of reasearch going into the potential long-term health impacts of people who have had COVID (even those who were asymptomatic). For the benefit of you health in the future, you want to know whether or not you actually had it. Good luck and I pray this was just a false positive, and that you don't end up with any symptoms.

Old 01-01-2021, 06:55 PM

8,175 posts, read 3,368,696 times
Different labs use different numbers of cycles for the PCR test. The more cycles, the more the possible virus is amplified. So with a lot of cycles, a tiny amount of the virus can result in a positive test result.

So false positives are supposedly common with PCR, not as common with the rapid tests. Maybe get a rapid test and see if that confirms the PCR or not.

Also keep in mind that most COVID-19 cases are not serious, especially if you don't have the risk factors.

Old 01-02-2021, 07:24 AM

18,481 posts, read 15,431,088 times
Quote:
I just tested positive for Covid & I have no symptoms. It was done as part of a required screening to travel....so I was totally surprised & devastated. I can’t believe that I really have it...AND my fiancé was negative. Has anybody else been tested that thinks it was a false positive?

Thank you.
That is not good. But there is a small bright side, once you recover or 10 days pass with a negative test, you'll be immune and can go back to normal, meanwhile most of us still have 4+ months of hunkering down left...

Old 01-02-2021, 09:29 AM

724 posts, read 397,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
That is not good. But there is a small bright side, once you recover or 10 days pass with a negative test, you'll be immune and can go back to normal, meanwhile most of us still have 4+ months of hunkering down left...
This is not true. She will “have some immunity,” but she will not “be immune.” There is a difference. There have been several people who have gotten it twice. In the short term she would likely have immunity though. Given the unknowns about the long term health implications of infection (even if asymptomatic), even those who had it should stay vigilant and not live under the assumption that they are immune.

Old 01-02-2021, 09:30 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,475,500 times
It means that she has particles of the virus (antigens) in her nasal membrane. If the body has fought it off, a second test may clear her. It's well past the 24-hour or 48-hour requirement for retesting.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/invest...thers/2501829/

Old 01-02-2021, 03:10 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,176,188 times
Quote:

Thank you.
I watch a surgeon on Youtube and he says it's way more likely to get a false negative than a false positive test. The only way to get a false positive is if they lump 100 or 1000 test together at the lab (and then they'll call you and say you were in a group that tested positive and you have to be retested). I'd get retested if I was you but it's totally possible that you have it.

Old 01-02-2021, 04:55 PM

1,462 posts, read 956,221 times
So bummed to hear about the test results for you. As mentioned above, I would suggest you get another test to confirm.

If you do have it you can not express any symptoms and still have the virus. If you get another test, let us know the results. If you do have it, I hope you stay asymptomatic.

Old 01-02-2021, 06:19 PM

18,929 posts, read 43,234,041 times
My stepmother-in law tested positive this morning, she's 80 and so far has no symptoms. She only went and got tested because her husband has been sick with mild fever and aches for about a week (he's also positive).

I wouldn't be surprised if 1/4 of the people in my area are currently positive.

Old 01-02-2021, 06:38 PM

3,095 posts, read 2,029,057 times
Quote:

Thank you.
Quote:
Thank you...I hope so too. I want to have another test because I can’t believe I would have no symptoms. I just found out I need to ask about the number of cycles....or the threshold that was used. This is not the way I wanted to start our new year.
Why do you think you would have symptoms? Most people have mild or no symptoms. I consider it good news. Your immune system is kicking corona's butt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness