Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2021, 02:49 PM

14,769 posts, read 14,757,848 times

Advertisements

I encourage everyone to get vaccinated, having worked directly with COVID-19 patients for nearly a year and seeing dozens die from it (and many more become permanently debilitated with strokes, lung damage etc) just in my little corner of the U.S.
The two vaccines currently available here require two rounds 21 days (Pfizer) and 28 days (Moderna) apart. For most people, the first round of the vaccine has no side effects other than a sore arm. The second round appears to be the one where you have symptoms, similar to a mild version of your body reacting as if it caught COVID-19. For me, I got body aches and chills/shakes for 24 hours, starting about 9-12 hours after getting the vaccine (I worked a full shift after). Others have had mild fevers others some nausea/vomiting. The symptoms clear up within 48 hours.
These effects are annoying, for sure, but much much better than actually catching the virus and becoming debilitated for two or more weeks, sometimes permanently, and spreading it to loved ones. I'm typing this just to encourage everyone to plan out their vaccination so they have 48 hours to rest from work, parenting responsibilities, etc after getting that second vaccine in case they do have side effects after (fwiw, many people have none).

Old 01-10-2021, 04:16 PM

8,022 posts, read 10,498,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I encourage everyone to get vaccinated, having worked directly with COVID-19 patients for nearly a year and seeing dozens die from it (and many more become permanently debilitated with strokes, lung damage etc) just in my little corner of the U.S.
The two vaccines currently available here require two rounds 21 days (Pfizer) and 28 days (Moderna) apart. For most people, the first round of the vaccine has no side effects other than a sore arm. The second round appears to be the one where you have symptoms, similar to a mild version of your body reacting as if it caught COVID-19. For me, I got body aches and chills/shakes for 24 hours, starting about 9-12 hours after getting the vaccine (I worked a full shift after). Others have had mild fevers others some nausea/vomiting. The symptoms clear up within 48 hours.
These effects are annoying, for sure, but much much better than actually catching the virus and becoming debilitated for two or more weeks, sometimes permanently, and spreading it to loved ones. I'm typing this just to encourage everyone to plan out their vaccination so they have 48 hours to rest from work, parenting responsibilities, etc after getting that second vaccine in case they do have side effects after (fwiw, many people have none).
I will definitely get the vaccine, but I will be in one of the last groups, so who knows when that will be. My city didn't even vaccinate all of the first group before running out. The governor has given the OK to start vaccinating group 1B, but of course that hasn't happened because we don't have enough vaccine to even finish vaccinating group 1A.

Old 01-10-2021, 04:51 PM

3,271 posts, read 5,034,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Thanks for posting this. I've seen a few other people's accounts of their response to the second dose, and they sound very much like yours. I had my first dose last week (with some minor after-effects in the first few days), and the second one is scheduled for the first week in February. Because of your post and the others like it, I've arranged to clear my calendar for a few days immediately following my second shot of the vaccine.

Old 01-10-2021, 07:12 PM

5,850 posts, read 6,237,337 times
Husband is getting his 2nd shot of Pfizer tomorrow. He felt pretty crummy for several days after the first shot and expects this one will be worse.

A lot of people are having similar experiences to yours. And many people are feeling nothing more than arm soreness, so who knows.

I think your suggestion to try and schedule the 2nd shot for a day where you can be at home or doing something low key for about 48 hours afterwards is a good one.

Old 01-11-2021, 04:34 PM

4,196 posts, read 5,101,295 times
I believe that the takeaway from these stories, is this:
If you're getting these reactions from the vaccine, you would've had a very bad case if you had actually gotten infected.
So, you really did yourself a favor getting vaccinated.

Old 01-11-2021, 04:38 PM

30,766 posts, read 18,481,819 times
I was vaccinated under phase 1b today for DoD. Getting the vaccine hurt more than most shots hurt, but it was nothing terrible. Side effects for me initially were body chills for about 45 minutes (started about 30 minutes after getting the shot). My arm is getting a bit sore now. No extreme side effects, though, and hopefully won't have any.

I think everywhere that is giving the vaccine will make you wait for 15 minutes afterward in case you have an adverse reaction, so keep that in mind, too.

All in all, the process took about 2 hours for me (waiting in line, etc.), but the length of time will all come down to how well staffed your vaccination site is. Still, something to keep in mind.

Old 01-11-2021, 04:50 PM

3,271 posts, read 5,034,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
I believe that the takeaway from these stories, is this:
If you're getting these reactions from the vaccine, you would've had a very bad case if you had actually gotten infected.
So, you really did yourself a favor getting vaccinated.
I don't know if I buy that logic. I think the viral load a person gets when they're infected would have more to do with how bad of a case they experience. But what do I know, I'm not a doctor.

Old 01-11-2021, 05:00 PM

29,259 posts, read 16,887,814 times
Anyone who wants the vaccine and can get it, do it...all I keep hearing it could be months/yrs before all is supposedly satisfied, it's all hit and miss with all the health providers, changes daily and it goes on and on.

Old 01-11-2021, 06:07 PM

21,380 posts, read 8,010,606 times
No thanks. 99% survival rate and not a high risk, why risk getting side effects? Saw a video of a healthcare worker who is seizing. A Miami doctor died from it. Not interested in getting either of those side effects. YMMV. Hope posting my own opinion, like the other opinions posted in the thread, is allowed.

Old 01-11-2021, 06:12 PM

37,309 posts, read 41,555,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
No thanks. 99% survival rate and not a high risk, why risk getting side effects? Saw a video of a healthcare worker who is seizing. A Miami doctor died from it. Not interested in getting either of those side effects. YMMV. Hope posting my own opinion, like the other opinions posted in the thread, is allowed.
One healthcare worker who had a seizure. One doctor who died.

In the US, 375,000 COVID-19 deaths.

The benefit to risk ratio of the vaccine leans heavily toward the vaccine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness