Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 11:07 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
ha ha
"don't forget about the memory issues"
You have not read the info on benzo usage and memory loss issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2021, 12:43 PM

2,145 posts, read 3,061,436 times
Lighten up, Francis. I believe the poster was amused by you writing “don’t forget” and then wrote about memory issues. Not everything is an attack.

Old 01-12-2021, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
Lighten up, Francis. I believe the poster was amused by you writing “don’t forget” and then wrote about memory issues. Not everything is an attack.
What was the harm in saying what I said? I didn't take it as an attack. Perhaps the person is not aware.

Old 01-12-2021, 01:00 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Don't forget about the memory issues and benzos. On sleep remedies I've been posting in Alt Med area for years.
An effect like memory loss is probably tied to how a person uses those meds in the first place. It is well known that benzos can cause problems if used "long term" on a daily basis, but severity of effects vary from person to person. The OP's prescribing MD as well as the prescription's packaging insert would have explained potential risks but once again, predicting them precisely for an individual is difficult. Other factors affecting each user will play in to it. Obviously if someone ignores the warnings provided and misuses it, that's on the user. We are talking about someone who takes one low dose of Xanax infrequently. Taking one dose every 10 days or so contributing to memory loss? Very doubtful!

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-12-2021 at 01:20 PM..

Old 01-12-2021, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
An effect like memory loss is probably tied to how a person uses those meds in the first place. It is well knowns that benzos can be risky if used "long term" on a daily basis, but effects vary from person to person. The OP's prescribing MD as well as the prescription's packaging insert would have explained the risks. Obviously if someone ignores the warnings provided and misuses the med, that's on the user. We are talking about someone who takes one low dose of Xanax infrequently, not on a daily basis. The OP is also obviously aware and concerned about dependence or they wouldn't have asked the question! Taking one dose every 10 days or so contributing to memory loss? Very doubtful!
I read it. This is good general info for anyone and some take benzos every day for years.

Benedryl too, I've read here so many take it nightly too. I know this issue has been discussed but probably some have missed posts on this subject.

And these drugs are addicting if taken ongoing..You know that.

Old 01-12-2021, 01:19 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
What was the harm in saying what I said? I didn't take it as an attack. Perhaps the person is not aware.
The OP sounds as if they are aware of potential risks or they probably wouldn't have asked about dependency!

Old 01-12-2021, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
The OP sounds as if they are aware of potential risks or they probably wouldn't have asked about dependency!
Thanks.

Old 01-12-2021, 02:02 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
Be VERY, VERY wary of overuse. It is EXTREMELY easy to become dependent upon Xanax. One psychiatrist whom I knew called it "the Devil's drug" because it is SO easy to become dependent - and then you need more and more of it. The issue is that Xanax is very short-acting. If you feel that you're so stressed out by work that you need to be on a benzo, ask for a prescription for a low dose of a long-acting one, like valium.

Old 01-12-2021, 02:48 PM

5,713 posts, read 4,286,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
That is the lowest dose of Xanax they make. So the risk of dependency from short term use with such a low does if very, very low. I think the max dosage is 10 mg a day, or 20 of the pills you are taking.

Xanax is available in .25 mg tablets.

Old 01-12-2021, 03:15 PM

2,145 posts, read 3,061,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Be VERY, VERY wary of overuse. It is EXTREMELY easy to become dependent upon Xanax. One psychiatrist whom I knew called it "the Devil's drug" because it is SO easy to become dependent - and then you need more and more of it. The issue is that Xanax is very short-acting. If you feel that you're so stressed out by work that you need to be on a benzo, ask for a prescription for a low dose of a long-acting one, like valium.
My husband's doctor won't prescribe Valium because it does stay so long in the system, and with seniors being more prone to falls and balance issues she doesn't feel it's a good mix. OTOH, she does prescribe Xanax. It's a tough decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness