Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 12:44 PM

636 posts, read 328,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I take another benzodiazepine (Ativan) for sleep. I don't think you become dependant as much as it loses its effectiveness after long-term use. So if you used a full dose every single day, or multiple times per day, it would lose its effectiveness after awhile. Because it's an anti-anxiety med, often used PRN (rather than scheduled, like an anti-depressant), its need is often psychological as much as it is physical (which is its intended purpose).
In your case, using it once per week or less, you have nothing to worry about.
Actually, the most studied benzo Valium has been shown to not be addictive in the sense that you must keep upping the dose over time. The exception to that rule is if you are a drinker and do not time your dosage. Alcohol use can make Valium addictive in that sense. Benzo's are best only used by non-drinkers, and certainly not by alcoholics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2021, 01:03 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Sounds like you need to ask for Restoril, that’s the benzo that’s normally prescribed for insomnia. I still wouldn’t use it everyday though.
IIRC this member doesn't even have their own prescription...they're using someone else's pills. Gonna have to face the music soon apparently.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-14-2021 at 01:22 PM..

Old 01-14-2021, 01:09 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
I take it to help with panic attacks and anxiety due to stress. I only get 30 tablets, .25mgs at a time. That will last me about 4-6 months. Next time I need to refill I have to take a drug test. Now with the pandemic I don't feel comfortable going to dr. office. Does everyone have to have a drug test for a new prescription?
Due to attempts to curb rampant abuse these days, you may. Especially for long term "open-ended" usage. If you don't abuse your medication you shouldn't worry about being tested. If you want a refill you'll have to jump through their hoops in order to get it. I'm sure your doctor can arrange for you to get tested with minimal exposure.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-14-2021 at 01:25 PM..

Old 01-14-2021, 02:40 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,590,485 times
Quote:
I take it to help with panic attacks and anxiety due to stress. I only get 30 tablets, .25mgs at a time. That will last me about 4-6 months. Next time I need to refill I have to take a drug test. Now with the pandemic I don't feel comfortable going to dr. office. Does everyone have to have a drug test for a new prescription?
If 30 pills last you 4-6 months, I can't imagine why they're asking you for a drug test. If you came back after two weeks asking for a refill I could see it.

Old 01-14-2021, 03:27 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,385,924 times
Quote:
If 30 pills last you 4-6 months, I can't imagine why they're asking you for a drug test. If you came back after two weeks asking for a refill I could see it.
I agree. I was just wondering if it's a medicare mandate or something else. A friend of mine gets hers refilled monthly, no questions asked. The only thing I can think of is that my doc is not in private practice anymore. She is now affiliated with a hospital group, and they may have blanket rules for this kind of thing.

Old 01-14-2021, 03:30 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,957,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
I've been taking Xanax once about every 7-10 days or so for the last 18 months. However I'm taking on new responsibilities at work and feel nervous about it, so I've been thinking I might could take a pill (which is 0.50 mg) before work to help calm and slow me down til I get the hang of the job for a couple of weeks. If I were to suddenly stopped taking it daily, would I develop side effects? I've never taken it daily persistently and haven't developed any side effects like I do when I forget to take a Paxil, which can be hell. The instructions on my Xanax bottle says to take one daily as needed.
I only took tranquilizers and painkillers when I felt like I really needed them, and never got dependent on them. I think people who take them on a regular schedule for any length of time are likely to become dependent.

Old 01-14-2021, 03:51 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,590,485 times
Quote:
I agree. I was just wondering if it's a medicare mandate or something else. A friend of mine gets hers refilled monthly, no questions asked. The only thing I can think of is that my doc is not in private practice anymore. She is now affiliated with a hospital group, and they may have blanket rules for this kind of thing.
I normally go almost a year between doctor visits, and my doc normally gives me 60 tablets. I've never been asked for a drug test, but I'm not on Medicare, so I don't know about that.

Old 01-14-2021, 05:50 PM

30,425 posts, read 21,234,977 times
Quote:
Sounds like you need to ask for Restoril, that’s the benzo that’s normally prescribed for insomnia. I still wouldn’t use it everyday though.
I sleep ok at nite dwight. I miss my 2 to 3 hour naps before i stopped smoking.

Old 01-14-2021, 05:52 PM

30,425 posts, read 21,234,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
IIRC this member doesn't even have their own prescription...they're using someone else's pills. Gonna have to face the music soon apparently.
I can always get pills jill.

Old 01-15-2021, 02:43 AM

24,099 posts, read 32,454,883 times
A lot more and a lot more frequently than the OP is taking it.

OP you are taking a very low dose, taking it infrequently and as directed. You are not on the pathway to addiction, habituation, or dependency.

Also, the studies on memory loss, and are inconclusive. The studies are for higher doses and longer duration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness