Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2007, 01:50 PM

10 posts, read 40,259 times

Advertisements

OK,

Not able to get Cinnamon oil where I am at, at least not at this time as no facility on the base has it. So I will have to go local to find it if at all.

Now I did find places to buy the toothpicks, and here are some links for the rest of you in case your interested. I am told these are great for recent non-smokers and those quiting.

http://www.druera.com/shopping/produ...products_id=84

http://www.amazon.com/Candy-Crate-CI.../dp/B0007OPW5C

http://www.amazon.com/Taste-T-Picks-...459090-0118556

Hope it helps!

GSH

PS. Yes I ordered a lot of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2007, 01:57 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,704,702 times
Default How I quit..

on my way to a check up at doctors office...had a head ache, I knew my blood pressure was up etc....I'm rolling down the car wnidow for a smoke before I get to the doctors office and it hits me...

My God how stupid can I be...here I am on the way to the doctor,which is costing me money, and I know full well the very first thing he's going to tell me is to stop smoking. I threw the lite smoke out the window along with the pack I had just opened. Sure enough the 1st thing doc said was...so have long have you been a smoker, to which I said...I quit !.. He smiled and asked how long ago, and I said about tem minutes ago. He laughed and said well it's a start !

That was ten years ago and that was my last.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:04 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,704,702 times
Default How I quit...PS

As a reward...go shopping for a shinny new bicycle !!.. The money you save by quittihg smoking will pay for the bike in no time and the benifits of the exercise are obvious. Get one for the significant other as well...it's good time together..

Old 02-20-2007, 03:31 PM

11 posts, read 77,848 times
Cold Turkey is best, plus do the math 2G a year or more......they say the sooner you quit, the sooner you start getting healthier.... JtP

Old 02-20-2007, 04:11 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,531,626 times
Did you try looking in the cooking/baking supplies for any kind of cinnamon flavoring? It occured to me that might an alternative to an oil. Dang-I hope you didn't spend too much on toothpicks, they are pretty cheap around here! Don't know if they have the cinnamon 'flavored' at our grocery though. Of course, regardless of what you paid, they GOTTA be cheaper than cigarettes!! pardon my slang

Old 02-20-2007, 05:54 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,158,308 times
I just got back from my Doctor's office because, thanks to the wonderful cold weather we got here in Miami this weekend, I got a cold! I get very, VERY, sick when I catch a cold so I went. The first thing he asked me if I had quit smoking yet, like he always does. And I said, I'm here for my codeine, my levaquin and my script for Chantix.
He said, I was going to do that. I have seen wonderful results with the Chantix.
Personally, I know two people who have quit on it and they've been 30yrs+ smokers (like me). I carry the nicotine patches in my purse thinking that the moment will come when I actually put it on, but I know they don't work on me.
So, I just stopped at Walgreen's to drop off the scripts. The Chantix is $99.00 but heck, I'm worth it! Let's really hope.

Old 02-20-2007, 06:11 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,531,626 times
I always thought those nicotine patches were a little steep ($$), but there was at least one insurance company that would prescribe them, so that would make it less painful in the pocketbook. What is this chantix? Ninety-nine bucks sounds like a lot, if you think about it, though, compared to the price of smokes, it's not that much! Good luck to you! For me it's been 2 months and 8 days, and it seems like an eternity.

Old 02-20-2007, 06:34 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,171,318 times
It would be really nice if ALL INSURANCE COMPANIES would cover ALL treatments to help smokers quit the habit.
It is very costly to pay for any of the stop smoking aids out on the market. What the smokers would want insurance companies to do is to cover it like they do everything else under their plan, that way if they tried some of these non smoking aids on the market some might be able to quit, and others may want to give it a try since others around them are able to kick the habit.
I know when my husband and I quit, he has no coverage for anything to help us quit smoking under his plan, and if they wanted people to quit smoking due to health issues, why then do they not have any coverage for any of these stop smoking aids. To tell you the truth, one pill that was supose to help was Wellbutrin, that one I was able to get since it was for depression.
The stop smoking aids out on the market are very costly, and smokers don't like to have to spend so much on cigarettes plus buy these non smoking aids, and don't forget it is an addiction, and it is the hardest bad habit to quit.
I think we need to give ourselves credit for every day, hour, minute, or second we go with out smoking. I myself have been honest with everyone, and I plan on even making it more longer then the last time, but what the hay I haven't bought a pack, and I am not around people who smoke everyday so that helps. So CONGRATS TO EVERYONE!!! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!!!!!! Yorkie

Old 02-20-2007, 07:11 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,158,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie_Mom View Post
It would be really nice if ALL INSURANCE COMPANIES would cover ALL treatments to help smokers quit the habit.
It is very costly to pay for any of the stop smoking aids out on the market. What the smokers would want insurance companies to do is to cover it like they do everything else under their plan, that way if they tried some of these non smoking aids on the market some might be able to quit, and others may want to give it a try since others around them are able to kick the habit.
I know when my husband and I quit, he has no coverage for anything to help us quit smoking under his plan, and if they wanted people to quit smoking due to health issues, why then do they not have any coverage for any of these stop smoking aids. To tell you the truth, one pill that was supose to help was Wellbutrin, that one I was able to get since it was for depression.
The stop smoking aids out on the market are very costly, and smokers don't like to have to spend so much on cigarettes plus buy these non smoking aids, and don't forget it is an addiction, and it is the hardest bad habit to quit.
I think we need to give ourselves credit for every day, hour, minute, or second we go with out smoking. I myself have been honest with everyone, and I plan on even making it more longer then the last time, but what the hay I haven't bought a pack, and I am not around people who smoke everyday so that helps. So CONGRATS TO EVERYONE!!! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!!!!!! Yorkie
Yorkie Mom- I believe that anyone who can quit cold turkey is TOP GUN in my book. Even if it takes a few tries, even if you've tried other stop smoking aids. I've tried everything in the book and multiple aids at once. Lord knows how much I have spent on patches, cold laser, acupuncture, hypnosis, Well butrin, Zyban - you name it, I've tried it. This Chantix thing is my last attempt at doing it the cowardly way. If it doesn't work, I KNOW I only have one last option and I'm just going to have to get all my bearings together, throw everybody out of my house, and JUST DO IT.

BTW, insurance companies down here (Miami) charge you higher premiums if you are a smoker. I pay a little more each more because I smoke. So maybe they don't help pay for the aids, but they charge more if you do smoke.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:53 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,171,318 times
Like I said I am not perfect, but at least I am honest, and I guess even though I have had my break downs, I guess I would rather be here then back at the start.
The first week is the worst, you get past that, and then just push yourself. Like I said, I refuse to buy a pack, so the only time I could have one is being around people who smoke, and if I want to solve that problem, well then I need to keep myself away from the smokers, until I feel more under control, under stressful times.
All in all I am not doing bad, and even though I had my break downs, it has been easy to go back to not smoking, once the stress leaves or the person who has the cigarettes leaves, if you know what I mean.
You gotta give it a try, and never give up, I don't want to be a failure so I keep patting myself on the back for the smoke free days, and for the days I had my breakdowns, I say, it is done and over now, time to be smoke free, and it works!!!!!
You also feel like killing a few people the first couple days, so you better chase everyone out of the house, lol just kidding, but you do get edgy at times. Good luck, take care, I am here if you need me, so you have nothing to lose, and everything to gain.
I also wanted everyone to know that we are human, we make mistakes, but we also learn from our mistakes, so if you last for two weeks, and you break down and have one, don't get so down on yourself like I did, realize that is, what you don't want, and then go on, but just because you have that one or two cigarettes, doesn't mean, oh I screwed up now, I might as well go back to smoking, you don't want to tell yourself that, because you got over the worst part of quitting, and to start all over it would be so tuff. Give yourself credit, for making it that far, admit that you made a mistake, and then get back on track, and in time we will all have made it. Good luck, Yorkie

Last edited by Yorkie_Mom; 02-20-2007 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness