Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2007, 01:11 AM

4 posts, read 10,110 times

Advertisements

Mother’s Day is a day to celebrate moms for who they are and all of the wonderful things they do. It is also a great time for moms to remember the important role they play in influencing the choices their kids make regarding tobacco use. Unfortunately, tobacco use among women remains a serious problem: one in five women currently smoke, 157,000 women die every year from smoking, and 86,000 kids have already lost their mom to smoking.
Moms who smoke can celebrate Mother’s Day by quitting, and all moms, whether or not they smoke, can celebrate Mother’s Day by taking a number of effective actions to protect their kids from becoming another one of the tobacco industry's addicted customers and victims. Even if they smoke, what moms say, how they act,and the values they communicate through their words and deeds have an enormous influence on whether or not their kids smoke. And, although Smoke Free Arizona is finally here, we still have a long way to go in the prevention and reduction of environmental tobacco smoke (ETS) in our most vulnerable population; our children. Exposure to secondhand smoke is a serious health risk, especially for children whose bodies are still developing. All moms, smokers and nonsmokers alike, can also do a lot to protect their kids from secondhand smoke.

How Can Moms Keep Their Children From Smoking?
As a parent, you are one of the most important persons in a child’s life, especially when it comes to cigarettes.
You can make a big difference in the choices your kids make.
•If you smoke, quit. If you can’t quit, keep trying. Children from families who smoke are twice as likely to become smokers themselves -- but parents who try to quit and talk to their kids about the how addictive smoking is, why they want to quit, and how important it is to never start can beat those odds.
•Maintain a totally smoke-free home (even if you smoke).
•Educate your child about the dangers of cigarette smoking.
Talk about addiction and how hard it is to quit smoking.
Emphasize the immediate health effects.
Emphasize the effects of smoking on physical appearance.
•Listen to what your child says and does about smoking and encourage your child when he/she makes goodchoices.
•Ask your child about his/her friends and their attitudes toward smoking. Discuss peer pressure and how to deal with it effectively.
•Clear up any misunderstandings your child might have about smoking. For example: everybody is not doing it; getting hooked can happen very quickly, and quitting is very difficult.
•Make sure your kids’ schools have strong and well-enforced no-smoking rules for kids and staff.

How Can Moms Protect Their Children from Secondhand Smoke Harms?
More than 40 percent of children in the United States live in households with at least one smoker and are exposed to secondhand smoke. Secondhand smoke contains more than 40 substances known to cause cancer.
Babies exposed to secondhand smoke face a higher risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) and a range of other serious health and developmental problems, and exposed older children have increased rates of lower respiratory infections, ear infections, and asthma. Exposure to cigarette smoke during childhood may lead to the development of cancer during adulthood. It can also prolong and worsen numerous medical conditions, including pneumonia, bronchitis, croup, laryngitis, bronchiolitis, asthma, flu, ear infections, colds, sinus infections, sore throats, and eye irritation, leading to increased school absenteeism, emergency room visits, and hospitalizations.

How can you protect your child from secondhand smoke?
•If you smoke, quit smoking – or at least keep trying. * Call the local office of the American Lung Association or American Cancer Society, talk to your doctor, or sign up for a stop-smoking course.
•Don’t let anyone smoke in your home. Make sure anyone who smokes only does so outside, away from open doors and windows. If you smoke, wear a “smoking shirt”, and remove it before coming into contact with your child, especially infants – and never smoke while holding, feeding, or bathing your child. And remember: smoking residues in a home (or car) can cause harm even when smoking is no longer taking place.
•Never smoke in the car, especially when your child is a passenger.
•Avoid leaving your child with someone who smokes or in smoky environments. Ask about smoking and smoke-free rules and practices when evaluating daycare centers or babysitters, or even when leaving your kids at other people’s homes. And try to make sure that your child does not take a job in a restaurant or other location that allows smoking.

Learn more.
To help educate parents and caretakers of young children about the risks of secondhand smoke, Monarch Health Promotions, a new healthcare specialty consulting organization, has joined the EPA to launch a public education and awareness-building campaign on secondhand smoke. Come visit us at the Women’s Health Week Community Health Fair Monday, May 14th from 11:00am – 2:00pm @ the UPH Healthcare at Kino campus 2800 E. Ajo Way. For more information go to http://www.epa.gov/smokefree or http://www.monarchhp.com for more information on maintaining a smoke-free environment, quit smoking resources, wellness services or respiratory disease education classes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 09:54 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,171,589 times
Ok guys, tomorrow is the day I give it another try to get rid of the cigarettes once and for all. I kept a pack behind like some of you have done, so wish me luck and I will keep you all posted. Thanks for your support!!!!!!!! Yorkie

Old 05-10-2007, 11:32 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,532,742 times
Saturday will be five months for me. No slip ups, just have to tough it out.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:41 PM

376 posts, read 1,866,835 times
You can do it! I am working in almost 4 months free of nicotine. I only occasionally crave now! I just need to start walking more!!

I love the fact that I can sit in a resaurant and not have to leave to smoke. I love the fact that my car, clothes and self do not smell. I love the fact that my chest does not hurt. I love the fact that I feel healthier. It takes time but it is so worth it!

N O P E ..........Never one puff ever!!

Old 05-12-2007, 06:30 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,164,918 times
best of luck to you Yorkie!! I've decied to cut back for starters to avoid putting stress on myself. Gave up the morning smoke, I don't smoke when I'm at work at all so my first one is afternoon. Now if I could get through a day w/out being subjected to perfumes all would be right w/the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie_Mom View Post
Ok guys, tomorrow is the day I give it another try to get rid of the cigarettes once and for all. I kept a pack behind like some of you have done, so wish me luck and I will keep you all posted. Thanks for your support!!!!!!!! Yorkie

Old 05-12-2007, 06:34 AM

guess I did it the backwards way as I started walking first,then decided to quit smoking. I don't smoke in my house and never allow it in my car; so that makes it even easier I suppose. Hate the smell on my clothes though AND my hands. I always keep hand lotion handy.
Glad you're feeling better. I think you will enjoy walking-hope so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandeco View Post
You can do it! I am working in almost 4 months free of nicotine. I only occasionally crave now! I just need to start walking more!!

I love the fact that I can sit in a resaurant and not have to leave to smoke. I love the fact that my car, clothes and self do not smell. I love the fact that my chest does not hurt. I love the fact that I feel healthier. It takes time but it is so worth it!

N O P E ..........Never one puff ever!!

Old 05-12-2007, 09:46 AM

1,394 posts, read 4,171,589 times
I had a couple, but I haven't given up, by tomorrow I hope that I can get through the whole day. I can't wait until I get past them first two weeks.
Walking does help, although my sinus problem is starting up with all the pollen in the air, my daughters turned into sinus infection, and I feel mine is heading in the same direction.
Don't give up on me, your all the support that I have, everyone around me other then my daughter would love to see me fail. I will keep you all posted, and thanks for your support.

Old 05-12-2007, 10:33 AM

Well, then just do it for your daughter-and let her know you're doing it just for her, although I can't imagine anyone wishing for you to fail in quitting smoking, of all things.
Here is a thought-maybe it could inspire you some-every day that you go without smoking/buying cigarettes, put that money aside and at the end of, say, every week give it to your daughter to put in her savings account-or you do so, and add it to your savings for her college. I know you have some savings for her education all ready, but believe me, it costs a fortune NOW for schooling. By the end of your first year, you could have a substantial chunk of change!
Well, today it is five months for me-yippee, and where oh where is my parade???

Last edited by fuzzymystic; 05-12-2007 at 11:49 AM..

Old 05-12-2007, 01:54 PM

sorry, forgot to give you kudos.......I'm happy for you and proud of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
Well, then just do it for your daughter-and let her know you're doing it just for her, although I can't imagine anyone wishing for you to fail in quitting smoking, of all things.
Here is a thought-maybe it could inspire you some-every day that you go without smoking/buying cigarettes, put that money aside and at the end of, say, every week give it to your daughter to put in her savings account-or you do so, and add it to your savings for her college. I know you have some savings for her education all ready, but believe me, it costs a fortune NOW for schooling. By the end of your first year, you could have a substantial chunk of change!
Well, today it is five months for me-yippee, and where oh where is my parade???

Old 05-12-2007, 02:16 PM

Oh, not to worry northernexposure, I was kind of being sarcastic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness