Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 04:38 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times

Advertisements

Plant based whole food diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2021, 04:53 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,058,060 times
everything causes a heart attack!

low carb causes a heart attack
low fat causes a heart attack
high blood pressure causes a heart attack
overweight causes a heart attack
too much stress causes a heart attack
being old causes a heart attack

poor little heart muscle - It starts beating in the 6th week of pregnancy, when you still look like a shrimp.

It never gets a rest, and the day it stops is what defines Legal Death.

Old 01-12-2021, 07:02 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Sure - but are you saying you won't eat a) any fruits or vegetables because those carbs "turn into sugar" or are you REALLY saying b) no added sugar, no high fructose corn syrup, no processed sugars?
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Sure - if people think they're getting "permission" to just eat bacon and lard all day long that's a problem.

Suddenly "carbs" and "sugar" are the devil. People think they are all the same. How about just cutting back on high-glycemic index stuff and replacing with low GI stuff? Seriously, what do people think veggies and fruit ARE? The middle way is always best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
I can tell you some fruits and veggies raise blood sugar lot faster and further than others. You can eat a bushel basket of broccoli and not budge your blood sugar. Blueberries and Raspberries too. One small portion rice or potatoes will zoom my blood sugar.

Look all plant foods have some carbs and some have a LOT of carbs, and in some fiber is a major portion of the carb content. Fiber wont raise your blood sugar, its not digestible.

So yea you can eat low carb, around 100g to 150g daily, and be vegetarian. Keto at 25g per day, meh, think it would be very difficult to do this as a vegetarian unless you lived on green salads and olive oil. But some claim they eat vegetarian KETO diet.

See its your definition of low carb. FDA recommends around max of 300g carbohydrates daily as part of healthy diet though they dont push it as lot big corporations have very vested interest in people eating far more carbs than that. Most eat multiples of that. Its those eating multiples of recommended max that are going to have problems.

Just spend a day counting carbs you consume (its not so easy with some foods). You will be amazed.
Yes, I mentioned high and low glycemic index on the first page. geez

Old 01-13-2021, 09:59 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
This guy's post is always full of contradictions without actual science. In nowhere the body needs carbs to survive. You can die without water or salt but not carbs.

In fact early humans didn't eat carbs until farming. So this study is so flawed.
I always question the "early human's" schtick. It seems to be a logical fallacy, appeal to antiquity. So what? They didn't wear shoes either but that doesn't mean shoes aren't a good idea.

You don't need carbs, by the same token one doesn't need meat either. The lancet article indicates a U-shaped distribution of lifespan.

Anyway...if you're pre-diabetic, look at cutting carbs, that's obvious. I'd rather deal with the risk of a heart attack than become diabetic, especially since to some degree, a heart attack is a natural consequence of aging.

If you really need to lose weight reducing carbs is an easy way to cut calories. Carbs store relatively easy on the shelf, are satisfying, and over-represented in a lot of "convenient" food.

Old 01-13-2021, 10:07 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
I probably eat tons of carbs a day, but they are all complex carbs, with a high fiber/carb ratio.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-13-2021, 10:10 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,654,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I probably eat tons of carbs a day, but they are all complex carbs, with a high fiber/carb ratio.

So did I. And I got T2 diabetes. Only sugar I had in the house was an old bottle honey and some imported licorice. No history of diabetes in family. Had to be that heavy whole grain and bean vegetarian diet.

Old 01-13-2021, 10:14 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
So did I. And I got T2 diabetes. Only sugar I had in the house was an old bottle honey and some imported licorice. No history of diabetes in family. Had to be that heavy whole grain and bean vegetarian diet.
Hmmm. I have a tendency towards high blood sugar, and the high fiber diet doesn't spike my blood sugar, and that is something I only started doing after my blood sugar started coming in high, so obviously wasn't the cause.

I do a multi grain cereal most mornings: millet, wheat berries, steel cut oats, barley, flax, wheatgerm, etc. with gogi berries, prunes, whatever I have..... and it doesn't spike my blood sugar at all.

It's just all a problem with my system, despite being in decent shape and low end of normal weight, I have blood sugar and BP issues. It's probably all tied in to my autoimmune conditions.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-13-2021, 10:28 AM

9,093 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Isn't it said that carbs turn to sugar in one's body. I've heard this one for years.
Yes, both carbs and sugar are turned into glucose by the human body. The only difference is in the speed in which that conversion takes place. Sugar is metabolized faster than complex carbs. A high sugar diet will turn someone into a diabetic faster than a high complex carbohydrate diet but in the end both diets will lead to diabetes.

Old 01-13-2021, 11:59 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Yes, both carbs and sugar are turned into glucose by the human body. The only difference is in the speed in which that conversion takes place. Sugar is metabolized faster than complex carbs. A high sugar diet will turn someone into a diabetic faster than a high complex carbohydrate diet but in the end both diets will lead to diabetes.

Particularly combined with frequent intake periods, keeping the insulin level high throughout the day. Some people eat or drink carbs as often as every 60-90 minutes throughout the waking day--their insulin level never drops until they go to sleep. And they'll do more of it when they're under stress. If they want diabetes, that's the way to get it.

Old 01-13-2021, 02:01 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,654,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Hmmm. I have a tendency towards high blood sugar, and the high fiber diet doesn't spike my blood sugar, and that is something I only started doing after my blood sugar started coming in high, so obviously wasn't the cause.

I do a multi grain cereal most mornings: millet, wheat berries, steel cut oats, barley, flax, wheatgerm, etc. with gogi berries, prunes, whatever I have..... and it doesn't spike my blood sugar at all.

It's just all a problem with my system, despite being in decent shape and low end of normal weight, I have blood sugar and BP issues. It's probably all tied in to my autoimmune conditions.

Complex carbs dont zoom your blood sugar when you are healthy non-diabetic. Once you are a T2, yep more than half cup at a meal will seriously boost you. And there are differences. Rice (brown rice) and potatoes worst for me, even tiny amount and zoom. I think they are worse than spoon full of crystal sugar. Grapes and bananas and persimmons worst of fruit. Dried fruit has sugar really concentrated.

Millet and buckwheat probably the best grains. I can eat a half cup of those without problem, but its not worth the effort for small amount.

I make my ersatz bread from ground up flax or sunflower seed or chia. Those are oily seed, unlike starchy grain. Fat instead of carbs. Sprouted grain is way to eat grain if you just feel you really need grain for whatever reason. Once the grain sprouts the baby plant quickly reduces the starch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness