Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 05:22 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,411,883 times

Advertisements

Interesting:

Article:
https://www.newscientist.com/article...-heart-attack/

Study:
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...135-X/fulltext
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2021, 07:21 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,277,580 times
A friend who was diabetic and suffered a serious stroke 3 years ago at age 64 is now on keto and has lost weight, lowered his blood sugar and his BP. He may still be on meds but the doses have been decreased. I'm reading "Fat Chance" by Dr. Robert Lustig and it's interesting stuff although it makes my eyes glaze over when he gets into chemistry. He's pretty much convinced me that fructose in all its forms is evil.

The Lancet article makes me believe I'm doing it right; I eat meat maybe once a week, have pretty much eliminated white bread, rice, potatoes, etc. and rely on yogurt (which I sweeten myself with a little honey), eggs, nuts and plant-based protein sources. So far my bloodwork looks pretty good and I'm 67. Only the LDL is a bit on the high side and I've brought my a1c from 6.0 down to 5.3 over the years.

Old 01-12-2021, 07:35 AM

19,094 posts, read 27,679,377 times
ANY extreme diet will cause health problems.
Everything that is balanced does not.
Problem being, situations discussed are normally for organisms, that already suffered irreparable damage that no diet will revert. Thus, custom smart diet tailoring is advised.

Old 01-12-2021, 07:47 AM

2,123 posts, read 1,468,079 times
Everything causes something. Research, tryout and pick the right diet for you. But beware - there will be some study that says it causes something.

Old 01-12-2021, 08:08 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,138,738 times
I think it's mainly a matter of people following it right or wrong. I've done low carb basically for about 14 yrs with a bit of a break somewhere in there for about 3 yrs (I had gotten ill from a visit to a foreign country and was too weak to fix my own food for a good while and fell off the low carb wagon).
My doctor says that all my numbers put me in the 1% category for any type of heart problem in the next 10 yrs. I don't see how cutting out most sugars and refined flours is really hurtful. Being obese certainly is. But in my years of low carbing, I have seen people countless times tell me they are doing low carb and I see what they are eating and they are NOT doing true low carb or not doing it in any type of healthful way. They think they can eat a lb of bacon a day, a bag of peanuts and a ton of cheese. That's not how it works.

Old 01-12-2021, 08:21 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,415,453 times
Sure - if people think they're getting "permission" to just eat bacon and lard all day long that's a problem.

Suddenly "carbs" and "sugar" are the devil. People think they are all the same. How about just cutting back on high-glycemic index stuff and replacing with low GI stuff? Seriously, what do people think veggies and fruit ARE? The middle way is always best.

Old 01-12-2021, 09:09 AM

332 posts, read 220,998 times
Every study they come out with is manipulated. High fat ,low fat , bell bottoms. I have zero faith in these folks and I take zero prescription pills. I also have a 32 inch waist. Since I am quite stupid it took me a long time to figure out that there is no help.

The Institution of medicine exploits us. They are judgement on folks that are crappy stewards. If you take care of the inside it takes care of the outside. I have obese friends that are so lazy the only thing they will do for themselves is a colonoscopy. How pathetic is that?

Old 01-12-2021, 09:16 AM

48,574 posts, read 34,956,927 times
Besides things like processed, simple carbs and sugar, my nutritional stance is the more variety the better. We try to have a different protein every day (pork, beef, poultry, seafood, vegetarian), the more vegetables, fruits, herbs and spices the better.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-12-2021, 09:22 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,661,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post

LOL, then if you are worried, I suggest you dont go on a low carb diet.

Old 01-12-2021, 09:40 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,751,772 times
This guy's post is always full of contradictions without actual science. In nowhere the body needs carbs to survive. You can die without water or salt but not carbs.

In fact early humans didn't eat carbs until farming. So this study is so flawed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness