Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 07:13 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,405,814 times

Advertisements

Just today I realized for the first time that I almost certainly have macular degeneration in my right eye (a yellowish “floater” that doesn’t float down & a nearby blurry area — both smack dab in the center of my field of view. When I look only out of my right eye, straight lines appear bent, then broken at the blurry area, so, for example, street light poles look like two poles stacked vertically with the top “pole” floating above the bottom “pole.” I could go on, but long story short, I have 5 of the 6 symptoms of macular degeneration and no symptoms of other eye disorders (except my severe myopia).

I made an appointment with my eye doctor right away — first thing Tuesday morning. I spoke with her on the phone and she agreed that it sounded like macular degeneration and not, say, a retinal detachment. (She had me do some eye tests on myself over the phone).

So .. here I am feeling really kind of depressed about this. From what I have read there is no real treatment or cure. There is a recommended supplement (based on actual research which I read), so I ordered that. But it only seems to have any effect at all in just 20% of people who try it.

I am only 56. I feel so young to be losing my vision, well, at least the part of it I care about — being able to read, drive, recognize faces.

I am also so frustrated as to why I have had so many health problems over the past 10 years in spite of being proactive about having a healthy life style, having a relatively low-stress life, and supposedly having good genes (no one else in my family has so many problems so young).

In the past 10 years, I have had:

Recurrent diverticulitis (had surgery for this)
Recurrent UTIs (am very careful now/take supplements)
Onset of Autoimmune Inner Ear Disease (went legally deaf in one ear in 3 months and am now hearing impaired in my other ear)
Onset of idiopathic chronic pancreatitis (although I don’t drink).
Increasingly frequent episodes of cardiac arrhythmia (although it seems like I have found a fix for this)
Stage IIIb squamous cell lung cancer (although I have never smoked or lived with a smoker).
And now I am starting to lose my sight too.

Sigh, just sigh. So depressed ... Well, at least, if I die of lung cancer, I won’t have to worry about going both blind and deaf (or deafer than I am now).

Anyone else suffer from macular degeneration? I am guessing not, since anyone who has it bad probably wouldn’t be able to post to this forum ...

/end pity party
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2021, 07:58 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Really sorry to hear your diagnosis but try not to think too much until your actual appt. Coincidentally, here's another thread just starting that sounds like it has a lot of good ideas:

http://https://www.city-data.com/for...eneration.html

Old 01-16-2021, 08:05 PM

206 posts, read 184,743 times
I m so sorry to hear about your health issues. Sometimes life is not fair. May you feel better. Best wishes.

Old 01-16-2021, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Really sorry to hear your diagnosis but try not to think too much until your actual appt. Coincidentally, here's another thread just starting that sounds like it has a lot of good ideas:

That link doesn’t seem to function for me.

Thanks though ..

Old 01-16-2021, 08:47 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,066 times
My eye doctor recommended Systane lubricating eye drops and Preservision tablets twice daily. My MD doesn't seem to have worsened since first diagnosed. My best.

My 91 year old mom gets injections into her eyeball every other month. That is why I religiously follow my doctor’s advice.

Old 01-16-2021, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
My 91 year old mom gets injections into her eyeball every other month. That is why I religiously follow my doctor’s advice.

Yikes!

Old 01-16-2021, 10:01 PM

19,709 posts, read 20,240,448 times
My elderly neighbor takes a supplement specifically for this, I *think* it's called AREDS-2, which is a little pricey but you can buy it otc @ pharmacies, walmart, etc.

(I'll be seeing her this week, I can ask to be sure.)

Old 01-16-2021, 10:03 PM

130,240 posts, read 12,099,804 times
If the injections will help, go for it. I hope the eye doc will have some good answers for you. Hang tough.

Old 01-17-2021, 01:47 AM

3,954 posts, read 2,573,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post

Found the thread, link works

https://www.city-data.com/forum/reti...eneration.html

Old 01-17-2021, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
Thanks. I actually saw that thread before ... and it made me feel more depressed. First, the woman in question is 78 and I am only 56. I had always assumed I’d eventually have eye problems. I had just assumed they would be when I was much older like 78. Also, a lot of the work-around s proposed there are hearing-related and I already have major hearing issues (even with hearing aids).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness