Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you have been tested?
I would have been tested as soon as A reported symptoms 8 11.43%
I would have been tested as soon as B and C tested positive 18 25.71%
I wouldn't have bothered, unless I got symptoms 32 45.71%
Other (explain) 12 17.14%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2021, 07:59 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times

Advertisements

If my parents were still alive (they both passed away this summer) then yes, I definitely would have gotten tested. But now, unless I developed symptoms, probably not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2021, 08:12 AM

14,303 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
She doesn't live in the USA
I do live in the USA. I live in California.

Old 01-20-2021, 12:12 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,317,831 times
When my husband and his three friends (all asymptomatic) tested positive I did not get tested. He isolated in the house, but I continued to go out grocery shopping with a mask. I did not mask in my own house or isolate myself from him.

Three weeks later we both got tested at a CVS. He STILL tested Positive. I tested Negative. We only went to satisfy our Daughter's concerns about visiting us.

After his second Positive test, he went back to the hospital where he originally tested and they would not test him again after 3 weeks. Hospital said he could still have trace amounts of the virus for 3 MONTHS later resulting in Positive test. They gave him a letter stating this fact, and that after WEEKS of quarantine he was no longer contagious.

After a Negative, I CAN be tested again, but WON'T. No symptoms either. Who else is going to give me the virus if not a husband who I lived with? Passing by a shopper in a store for a few seconds???

Old 01-20-2021, 04:20 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,344,993 times
I would have tested after B and C tested positive, even knowing the quick test results can be wrong.

One of the big problems that have caused the spread is that there people that are asymptomatic that can spread it.

Old 01-20-2021, 04:44 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,926,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I do live in the USA. I live in California.
I'm sorry, I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about the poster who said it costs $100

Old 01-20-2021, 05:59 PM

10,555 posts, read 7,750,499 times
8 days later and no symptoms I would not, unless around vulnerable people and wanting to be extra careful about it.
I would/will sign up for vaccination when available though.

Old 01-21-2021, 12:58 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,978,563 times
You've been exposed so for peace of mind, go ahead.

Many are saying why get tested if NO symptoms. Does everyone still not understand for some reason that ASYMPTOMATIC people show zero symptoms, so they think they're completely fine & still going out & about, but in reality are transmitting it to everyone they come across?

That's what's scary about all this. No one knows who truly has it out there because not everyone will show symptoms. That person you passed in the grocery store aisle might have had it. The person in front of you in line somewhere who you weren't sure you were always 6 ft away from. The gas pump handle might have last been touched by someone who has it & then you come along & touch it, then quickly rubbed your nose or adjusted yoru mask inadvertently BEFORE you used your hand sanitizer. That mail you just got that day may have the germs on it. The list is endless.

I think VERY few people are truly that cautious. They may think they are, but probably not as much as they should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I probably would've tried to get tested, even if I had no symptoms. I share a house with 2 other people. I'd want to know if I had it, so I could separate myself away from the others.

Right!

Old 01-21-2021, 05:30 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
You've been exposed so for peace of mind, go ahead.

Many are saying why get tested if NO symptoms. Does everyone still not understand for some reason that ASYMPTOMATIC people show zero symptoms, so they think they're completely fine & still going out & about, but in reality are transmitting it to everyone they come across?

That's what's scary about all this. No one knows who truly has it out there because not everyone will show symptoms. That person you passed in the grocery store aisle might have had it. The person in front of you in line somewhere who you weren't sure you were always 6 ft away from. The gas pump handle might have last been touched by someone who has it & then you come along & touch it, then quickly rubbed your nose or adjusted yoru mask inadvertently BEFORE you used your hand sanitizer. That mail you just got that day may have the germs on it. The list is endless.

I think VERY few people are truly that cautious. They may think they are, but probably not as much as they should be.

Right!

So thankful NJ has no self serve gasoline! I thank my dad for the many years he lobbied against it. Once a state goes self serve, I hear there's usually no full serve for elderly people.

Early on I always told myself when out to not be stupid and touch my face. I touch as little as possible, will use my foot or shoulder to open a door on the way out. I open it with my left and make sure I only use my left for the credit card machine touch screen. I then have my wipe on my steering wheel waiting for me when I get out. So far I've been pretty lucky.

Old 01-21-2021, 05:48 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Have to get one before every doctor's visit. No big deal!

Like vaccinations, I don't understand everyone's reluctance

Mike, really? You have to? Obviously that's not the case for most doctor's offices. I wasn't even tested in the hospital or before my surgery.

OP, I wouldn't have gone for a test unless I had symptoms, even then, I probably would just stay home until I was better.
I've never heard of being tested before a doctor visit.

As for surgeries, where I am in NJ, that's a must. They won't do surgery without a test. The biggest issue by me is you can't easily get a test at any of the pharmacy testing sites. They book 3 days at a time, they're all full. My daughter tried to get one a month ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Most of the comments here agree with my own feelings. No, I did not get tested. I have a couple of family members (we are a family of 5) who couldn't understand why I would not go get a test, but it seemed pointless to me, considering that I had no symptoms and it was questionable whether I'd actually been exposed. (A tested negative twice and B & C could have picked it up somewhere else). It's now been 9 days and I am still symptomless, and I am not worried.

And definitely, if I did get symptoms I would treat it like any other respiratory illness: stay home, rest, and treat the symptoms. I would not go running to a doctor unless it took a real turn for the worse.
Thanks for answering. I missed it yesterday. You made the right choice and you're right, they could have gotten it elsewhere. I only would have tested if I was around vulnerable people just so they knew I was negative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola The yorkie View Post
My medical experience would have been..yes..get tested, but the quick test has a high false rate..both positive and negative..

I have a 30 year old niece..went to a gingerbread house making party..2 days later the hostess tested positive..
My niece got PCR test, was negative..her mom my sister called an expert who said her viral load was too low at time of first test, so it was negative, her whole family had been together..
Her second test was positive! She never had any symptoms BTW
She exposed her whole family..DAd and one sister high risk with asthma
They had to cancel Christmas...niece quarantined at her apt.

Supposedly you have to be exposed 15 minutes tho
No symptoms does not mean anything really
Christmas should have been canceled for most people unless immediate family in the same house. While she exposed her whole family, you don't say if any tested positive or had symptoms. I hope not

Old 01-21-2021, 07:47 AM

9,857 posts, read 7,729,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola The yorkie View Post
My medical experience would have been..yes..get tested, but the quick test has a high false rate..both positive and negative..

I have a 30 year old niece..went to a gingerbread house making party..2 days later the hostess tested positive..
My niece got PCR test, was negative..her mom my sister called an expert who said her viral load was too low at time of first test, so it was negative, her whole family had been together..
Her second test was positive! She never had any symptoms BTW
She exposed her whole family..DAd and one sister high risk with asthma

They had to cancel Christmas...niece quarantined at her apt.

Supposedly you have to be exposed 15 minutes tho
No symptoms does not mean anything really
So did the family members get it? How are they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness