Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you have been tested?
I would have been tested as soon as A reported symptoms 8 11.43%
I would have been tested as soon as B and C tested positive 18 25.71%
I wouldn't have bothered, unless I got symptoms 32 45.71%
Other (explain) 12 17.14%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 07:58 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times

Advertisements

Would you have gone for a Covid-19 test in this true situation?

Last Sunday (1/10), I went for a mountain bike ride with four friends (A, B, C, and D). All of us are between mid-30s and early 50s. The ride lasted about an hour. At no time were we inside, but there were an additional few minutes of standing around talking while we unloaded bikes, several times when we all stopped and chatted at several parts of the trail, and about 20 minutes at the end of the ride when we sat on well-spaced chairs in the side yard and had a beer.

On Monday, A informed us that he had developed congestion, fatigue, and a slight fever, and was going for a Covid test.

On Wednesday, he reported that his test was negative.

On Thursday, B and C both developed symptoms, got a rapid test, and were positive.

A assumed that they must have gotten it from him, so he went for another test. It was again negative.

It's now Monday, 8 days after the exposure. D and I have had no symptoms.

Without saying whether the two of us got tested, I'm interested in knowing whether you would have gotten a test or not, and at what point--and why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2021, 08:24 AM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Would you have gone for a Covid-19 test in this true situation?

Last Sunday (1/10), I went for a mountain bike ride with four friends (A, B, C, and D). All of us are between mid-30s and early 50s. The ride lasted about an hour. At no time were we inside, but there were an additional few minutes of standing around talking while we unloaded bikes, several times when we all stopped and chatted at several parts of the trail, and about 20 minutes at the end of the ride when we sat on well-spaced chairs in the side yard and had a beer.

On Monday, A informed us that he had developed congestion, fatigue, and a slight fever, and was going for a Covid test.

On Wednesday, he reported that his test was negative.

On Thursday, B and C both developed symptoms, got a rapid test, and were positive.

A assumed that they must have gotten it from him, so he went for another test. It was again negative.

It's now Monday, 8 days after the exposure. D and I have had no symptoms.

Without saying whether the two of us got tested, I'm interested in knowing whether you would have gotten a test or not, and at what point--and why.

I probably would not have gotten tested, unless I developed symptoms. I don't think they are even recommending testing for asymptomatic individuals exposed to others with the virus, at this point.

Old 01-18-2021, 08:47 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
No.

If you have no symptoms, why would you get tested? What is truly the point?

If you start to feel sick, then just do what you normally do when you start to feel sick, whether self care or going to urgent care/doctor.

Old 01-18-2021, 01:54 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
No.

I have family members who were surprised by my choice, so I was curious about what others would do.

Old 01-18-2021, 02:22 PM

26,723 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I probably would not have gotten tested, unless I developed symptoms.
Same here.

Old 01-18-2021, 02:59 PM

867 posts, read 722,503 times
I wouldn't have gotten tested, either.

No need for a test! I would have jumped to the conclusion that that I was a potential asymptomatic carrier and isolated myself accordingly.

Old 01-18-2021, 03:47 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,900,190 times
The test has a very high false positive rate. But it can also give a false negative. I know somebody who caught COVID from somebody who tested negative but later tested positive.

About a year ago my wife was very sick and we went to an urgent care clinic and they tested her for influenza. It was negative. They sent her home with some cough syrup but she kept getting sicker so I took her to the ER. They gave her an influenza test and we explained she already had one and it was negative. The doctor said that they are so inaccurate the results border on being meaningless. So I asked, then why are you giving her the test? He said it was "standard procedure". Honestly I think it was just something they could bill the insurance company for. She had pneumonia, but based on what the doctor said we'll never know if it was caused by influenza.

Old 01-18-2021, 03:58 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Have to get one before every doctor's visit. No big deal!

Like vaccinations, I don't understand everyone's reluctance

Old 01-18-2021, 04:53 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
No.

If you start to feel sick, then just do what you normally do when you start to feel sick, whether self care or going to urgent care/doctor.
It makes little difference to test as long as you are appropriately quarantining - which is standard after meaningful exposure to a person known to have have COVID. You can stop quarantining after 14 days - it's irrelevant whether you have symptoms or not as before the 14 days because you are a carrier if you have it...but even if you WERE positive, you can't transmit it after 14 days.

The key is NOT whether you have symptoms (though if you get them that's a good indicator you have it and can transmit it!) but whether you HAVE it, symptoms or not. Tests are not 100% accurate but are MORE accurate when the viral load has had time to increase and become more detectable. So you isolate regardless, and then after 5-7 days you can get tested if you want. If you test negative I suppose you can stop quarantining but still socially distance as normally recommended.

Old 01-18-2021, 05:04 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Have to get one before every doctor's visit. No big deal!

Like vaccinations, I don't understand everyone's reluctance
You don't need to understand other people's choices. Just stop yelling at them for being different from you.

I don't understand why people are running to get a non approved, rushed drug that has shown to be dangerous with side effects. Such that California distribution has been halted and it's NOW being investigated by the FDA and CDC. Exhibit A as to why I do NOT want it.

But you don't see me screeching and yelling at people. You make YOUR decision. I'll make mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness