Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 11:01 PM

18,190 posts, read 16,763,726 times

Advertisements

I mean what if they are really all alone in this world. No spouse, no children, no relatives nearby that they are close to and no friends? If they are very sick confined to bed as a long hauler and have already been to the hospital and discharged and they cannot take care of themselves post-hospitalization what do they do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2021, 11:15 PM

12,645 posts, read 14,779,371 times
I really have no idea. I'd like to see what others say.

I guess hire a trusted caretaker? And if they can't afford one, I don't know...

Old 01-21-2021, 11:29 PM

14,637 posts, read 14,507,796 times
If they're functional enough in the home and just need some assistance, then they will probably qualify for home health care. If they're truly debilitated, i.e. can't get out of bed & prepare their own meals, etc, they will need to go to a long-term care facility (nursing home).

Old 01-21-2021, 11:34 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,533,235 times
Wouldn't this be the same as any other adult person who cannot take care of themselves because of physical or mental disability or impairment?

Adults who cannot take care of themselves often apply for disability payments through Social Security or apply for disability payments through their state, if it exists.

If they are unable to make a living and cannot hold a job, some apply for Medicaid and all the disability benefits offered with Medicaid.

And, if possible, one could have part-time Home Aides or Home Health Aides through a providing agency visit them in their apartment on a schedule to assist.

Old 01-22-2021, 09:04 AM

14,203 posts, read 11,457,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Wouldn't this be the same as any other adult person who cannot take care of themselves because of physical or mental disability or impairment?
Yes.

You hire an aide, either paid directly by you or through the state, or you stay in a nursing facility as long as necessary. This is not a brand new, Covid-exclusive phenomenon. Home aides and nursing facilities have been around for a long, long time.

Old 01-22-2021, 02:36 PM

125 posts, read 75,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I mean what if they are really all alone in this world. No spouse, no children, no relatives nearby that they are close to and no friends? If they are very sick confined to bed as a long hauler and have already been to the hospital and discharged and they cannot take care of themselves post-hospitalization what do they do?
Did this person have the covid and then recover in the hospital?

Old 01-22-2021, 02:51 PM

6,282 posts, read 2,825,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
If they're functional enough in the home and just need some assistance, then they will probably qualify for home health care. If they're truly debilitated, i.e. can't get out of bed & prepare their own meals, etc, they will need to go to a long-term care facility (nursing home).
This. Not everyone in nursing homes is 70+.

Old 01-22-2021, 03:14 PM

18,190 posts, read 16,763,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayinit View Post
Did this person have the covid and then recover in the hospital?
He was cleared to go home (tested negative) but is still extremely debilitated. Has no one to look in on him. I don't know him personally. Talked to someone about him who was asking. Many people here have some good ideas. Nursing home. I never thought of that. Will pass along suggestions.

Old 01-22-2021, 03:51 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,203,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post

Adults who cannot take care of themselves often apply for disability payments through Social Security or apply for disability payments through their state, if it exists.

If they are unable to make a living and cannot hold a job, some apply for Medicaid and all the disability benefits offered with Medicaid.

And, if possible, one could have part-time Home Aides or Home Health Aides through a providing agency visit them in their apartment on a schedule to assist.
Yes - but those are solutions intended for more chronic conditions and can takes months or even more than a year to work through the process. ...it's a tough spot to be in if you're not old enough to qualify as a 'senior' especially.

Old 01-22-2021, 04:46 PM

6,393 posts, read 3,866,341 times
Not to mention, many of these programs for those who are low income have long waiting lists (or, let's face it-- you don't even have to be "low income" to not be able to afford $3-7k per month for a place to live, especially if it'll be temporary and so you must also maintain your regular domicile, car, etc.). I know of one in my area, for people who need care but can't afford it (I can't remember if it's exclusive to seniors or not). Many of the patients die before they ever come to the top of the list-- even those who are moved up in the list on an "emergency" basis because they're completely bed-bound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness