Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 07:31 AM

5,710 posts, read 4,286,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
And from what I have read the vaccine was ready in January of last year. It took 2 days to create. Less red tape got it approved quickly compared to the past but streamlined it could have been available this past summer.

Where'd ya read that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2021, 07:39 AM

9,530 posts, read 16,515,499 times
Quote:
Its a mess. If this was regarding how fast one gets their $600 stimulus check it would be one thing but people will die because of the disorganized vaccine rollout. I caught covid a month ago. I pulled through ok after some scary days and a trip to the ER but it all could have been avoided if the vaccine was available a month ago to me. And from what I have read the vaccine was ready in January of last year. It took 2 days to create. Less red tape got it approved quickly compared to the past but streamlined it could have been available this past summer.
I agree I had the Virus in Dec. I think I may have had it in Oct and never got over it. I would of liked the virus although I haven't been told this but I think covid patients, need to wait 90 days after the illness to get it. I live in Fla and its been handled horribly down here including the diagnosis and the care. I was my own doctor thru this after the diagnosis, although at times I thought how much worse does this virus get. Yes the vaccine should have been handled much more efficiently. My view is if the Federal Gov't is involved its a total flop. They just don't care and are beyond inefficient. It's really a disgrace. Stay Safe I hope your doing well now. I never got the $600 stimulus even though I was eligible. I had difficulty getting the $1200 one back in May. Alot of retirees are in the same boat.

Old 01-25-2021, 07:42 AM

19,027 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Don't be silly. COVID type viruses were "with us" long before now and will be with us long after current events. Flu been around for how long?
To be honest and not to sound cold, 'd have been quite nice to have only ONE disease to worry about and the rest of the 49 999 999 ones gone.
Maybe, esteemed posters should not be obsessed with just COVID or, better off, SARS-2? You dodge that bullet, many more are coming.

Old 01-25-2021, 08:08 AM

30,156 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Where'd ya read that?
Its been on the news. Below are links. Creating the vaccine was the easy part. Some of the regulatory hurtles were relaxed but the FDA refused to allow people to be infected with the virus after being vaccinated which would have taken months off the roll out. The researches had to wait until people became infected in the course of their lives and the study their effectiveness.

https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-n...7f858cd728ae10

Covid-19 vaccine maker Moderna designed its vaccine against the novel coronavirus in just two days.

On Jan. 11, Chinese authorities shared the genetic sequence of the novel coronavirus, according to Moderna's website.

Two days later, on Jan. 13, the National Institutes of Health and Moderna’s infectious disease research team finalized the sequence for mRNA-1273, the formal name of the company's Covid-19 vaccine.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020...ne-design.html

You may be surprised to learn that of the trio of long-awaited coronavirus vaccines, the most promising, Moderna’s mRNA-1273, which reported a 94.5 percent efficacy rate on November 16, had been designed by January 13. This was just two days after the genetic sequence had been made public in an act of scientific and humanitarian generosity that resulted in China’s Yong-Zhen Zhang’s being temporarily forced out of his lab.

Old 01-25-2021, 08:17 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,571,141 times
18 months is how long it takes till everyone gets access to the vaccine. 2 to 3 years is more common. The mRNA vaccine authorization is emergency use and the product is in limited supply. Other vaccines are getting in 2nd or 3rd stage clinical trials.

The vaccine is ineffective against the S. Africa strain that's spreading fast. That's why the disease will be around for a long time like the common cold, influenza, or pneumonia. New strains will come out. Most strains will be mild for most people and deadly for the elderly. A few strains will be dangerous.

Strain on hospital systems is probably causing more deaths: shortage of oxygen

https://www.advisory.com/en/daily-br...1/01/08/oxygen

Old 01-25-2021, 08:24 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
I don't think this is surprising. COVID will not just completely disappear, so it will be with us to some extent. But as everyone has mentioned, if you are vaccinated, the impact on you will be negligible for the most part. It will likely be the unvaccinated that will take the brunt of the impacts, but at least they will add to herd immunity since they will have developed some form of immunity. As others have said, I think it will be like the flu.

I will get my second dose of Moderna soon, so I am feeling pretty good going forward. I think that when the majority of the population gets vaccinated, even with it lingering around, its impacts will be pretty limited (especially among the vaccinated).

Old 01-25-2021, 08:24 AM

Interesting, I hadn't seen that. But it still has to be manufactured and tested.

Quote:
Its been on the news. Below are links. Creating the vaccine was the easy part. Some of the regulatory hurtles were relaxed but the FDA refused to allow people to be infected with the virus after being vaccinated which would have taken months off the roll out. The researches had to wait until people became infected in the course of their lives and the study their effectiveness.

https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-n...7f858cd728ae10

Covid-19 vaccine maker Moderna designed its vaccine against the novel coronavirus in just two days.

On Jan. 11, Chinese authorities shared the genetic sequence of the novel coronavirus, according to Moderna's website.

Two days later, on Jan. 13, the National Institutes of Health and Moderna’s infectious disease research team finalized the sequence for mRNA-1273, the formal name of the company's Covid-19 vaccine.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020...ne-design.html

You may be surprised to learn that of the trio of long-awaited coronavirus vaccines, the most promising, Moderna’s mRNA-1273, which reported a 94.5 percent efficacy rate on November 16, had been designed by January 13. This was just two days after the genetic sequence had been made public in an act of scientific and humanitarian generosity that resulted in China’s Yong-Zhen Zhang’s being temporarily forced out of his lab.

Old 01-25-2021, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Interesting, I hadn't seen that. But it still has to be manufactured and tested.

True. But we could have shaved more time off if the FDA had relented. And with 3,000+ dying every day and all the people fighting off the effects of covid every day, each day means saving lives.

But at least we have it now and hopefully the vaccine distribution improves.

Old 01-25-2021, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Don't be silly. COVID type viruses were "with us" long before now and will be with us long after current events. Flu been around for how long?
To be honest and not to sound cold, 'd have been quite nice to have only ONE disease to worry about and the rest of the 49 999 999 ones gone.
Maybe, esteemed posters should not be obsessed with just COVID or, better off, SARS-2? You dodge that bullet, many more are coming.
Not exactly correct. If you read the article the OP linked, the common cold is a covid virus. I believe there are 4 current strains. Most children are exposed by the time they are 6 to all of them. This is a new virus that people have not been exposed to as children. Hence it effects vulnerable people in a very bad way and sometimes not vulnerable people. Eventually it will probably cycle with the other covid common colds and be less dangerous.

I got hit pretty hard by it. I was sent home from the hospital with words from the ER doctor. They said we are sending you home, but just so you know with covid-19 there are no guarantees to your outcome either way.

But I guess according to you I was just obsessing about something that has been around long before now and unnecessary.

Old 01-25-2021, 09:52 AM

Quote:
True. But we could have shaved more time off if the FDA had relented. And with 3,000+ dying every day and all the people fighting off the effects of covid every day, each day means saving lives.

But at least we have it now and hopefully the vaccine distribution improves.

You don't want a cure that's worse than the disease...I agree it would have been great to start vaccinating on January 14 2020 if we could be sure of safety. But with mRNA being entirely new it was especially important to be careful. Maybe future mRNA vaccines can be rolled out more quickly depending on how this all goes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness