Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2021, 05:57 PM

5,806 posts, read 3,581,819 times

Advertisements

There have been numerous threads on mask use and the effectiveness (or lack thereof) in preventing the transmission of Covid, but rather than add to an already lengthy thread, I thought I'd start a new one from another reputable source. This article was written with regard to mask wearing by staff in hospitals, but I think it's safe to conclude that if the authors don't think it's particularly necessary for staff to wear a mask in a hospital under certain situations, then they're not likely to think it's necessary for the public to wear masks under similar situations when in public places.

I won't quote the entire article from NEJM because it's rather long, but I invite you to read it. The link is below. Here are some relevant parts.

Quote:
"We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection. Public health authorities define a significant exposure to Covid-19 as face-to-face contact within 6 feet with a patient with symptomatic Covid-19 that is sustained for at least a few minutes (and some say more than 10 minutes or even 30 minutes). The chance of catching Covid-19 from a passing interaction in a public space is therefore minimal. In many cases, the desire for widespread masking is a reflexive reaction to anxiety over the pandemic.

... A mask alone in this setting will reduce risk only slightly, however, since it does not provide protection from droplets that may enter the eyes or from fomites on the patient or in the environment that providers may pick up on their hands and carry to their mucous membranes (particularly given the concern that mask wearers may have an increased tendency to touch their faces).

...What is clear, however, is that universal masking alone is not a panacea. A mask will not protect providers caring for a patient with active Covid-19 if it’s not accompanied by meticulous hand hygiene, eye protection, gloves, and a gown. A mask alone will not prevent health care workers with early Covid-19 from contaminating their hands and spreading the virus to patients and colleagues. Focusing on universal masking alone may, paradoxically, lead to more transmission of Covid-19 if it diverts attention from implementing more fundamental infection-control measures.

...This article was published on April 1, 2020, at NEJM.org.
"

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2006372

By the way, if you don't agree with any of the statements in the article, call the doctors or staff at NEJM and explain to them where they're wrong. I'm sure they would love to have your input.

Old 01-27-2021, 06:00 PM

636 posts, read 325,916 times
Friend just had a colonoscopy, and she said nobody was wearing a mask. Not even the nurse that took her vitals, nor the MD doing the procedure. Interesting.

Old 01-27-2021, 06:21 PM

148 posts, read 44,901 times
Thanks Chas and the colonoscopy post, very interesting indeed and even in these covid times.

Old 01-27-2021, 06:31 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,783,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
There have been numerous threads on mask use and the effectiveness (or lack thereof) in preventing the transmission of Covid, but rather than add to an already lengthy thread, I thought I'd start a new one from another reputable source. This article was written with regard to mask wearing by staff in hospitals, but I think it's safe to conclude that if the authors don't think it's particularly necessary for staff to wear a mask in a hospital under certain situations, then they're not likely to think it's necessary for the public to wear masks under similar situations when in public places.

I won't quote the entire article from NEJM because it's rather long, but I invite you to read it. The link is below. Here are some relevant parts.

Quote:
"We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection. Public health authorities define a significant exposure to Covid-19 as face-to-face contact within 6 feet with a patient with symptomatic Covid-19 that is sustained for at least a few minutes (and some say more than 10 minutes or even 30 minutes). The chance of catching Covid-19 from a passing interaction in a public space is therefore minimal. In many cases, the desire for widespread masking is a reflexive reaction to anxiety over the pandemic.

... A mask alone in this setting will reduce risk only slightly, however, since it does not provide protection from droplets that may enter the eyes or from fomites on the patient or in the environment that providers may pick up on their hands and carry to their mucous membranes (particularly given the concern that mask wearers may have an increased tendency to touch their faces).

...What is clear, however, is that universal masking alone is not a panacea. A mask will not protect providers caring for a patient with active Covid-19 if it’s not accompanied by meticulous hand hygiene, eye protection, gloves, and a gown. A mask alone will not prevent health care workers with early Covid-19 from contaminating their hands and spreading the virus to patients and colleagues. Focusing on universal masking alone may, paradoxically, lead to more transmission of Covid-19 if it diverts attention from implementing more fundamental infection-control measures.

...This article was published on April 1, 2020, at NEJM.org.
"

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2006372

By the way, if you don't agree with any of the statements in the article, call the doctors or staff at NEJM and explain to them where they're wrong. I'm sure they would love to have your input.
I think we have come a long way since April 2020. Do you have anything more recent from them?

Old 01-27-2021, 06:50 PM

26,649 posts, read 28,533,823 times
The article that is the premise of this thread topic was written last April at the beginning of the pandemic. Much more is known now and also there are new and very dangerous variants of the virus. A better place to discuss mask wearing is Current Events where there's an entire COVID thread, although they too would probably want up to date information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness