Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2021, 07:22 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,781,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB71 View Post
When I do, mask is not covering the nose.

If your not going to wear a mask properly, why bother? Also wearing masks is the the protection of those around you, not you. So long as others are wearing masks properly around you, you should show the same curtsy. If everyone turned purple as soon as they are infected, re-transmission wouldn't be an issue, stay away from the purple guy. But you don't know your infected and contagious until you start showing symptoms, and it can be as long as 10 days after catching it. Granted you probably not as contagious as when you showing no symptoms, but you can still pass your gift on to others before then.

Old 02-02-2021, 07:57 AM

4,958 posts, read 2,236,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
Depends, officially yes, and I can see that for high density population areas like NYC, but generally when people get outdoors, and can maintain acceptable distant for others, no.
We have not had state mask mandates, but most businesses strongly suggest wearing masks and I am happy to comply. But breathing fresh air... that's not something I don't want to give up. Then again, the area around Times Square smelled like garbage when we visited so I would not mind wearing a mask.

It was nice upstate, though.

Old 02-02-2021, 08:21 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
I definitely think it helps.

I had a bout of bronchitis in 2019 around Christmas that laid me out for over a week. In March, after attending two basketball games in a full stadium the week before lockdown, I ended up with what seemed to be mild COVID symptoms.

Other than seasonal allergies and sinus drainage, I have not been sick since. I typically get sick in the winter. Nothing this year.

I received my second Pfizer shot on January 8. I mask where it's legally required or there is a social expectation that I wear one. I frequent some restaurants and businesses where masks are not mandatory. I do not mask there.

Old 02-02-2021, 08:33 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,427,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I
I get mad at church because there are so many elderly people there (the vast majority of whom are wearing masks) but then in will come a whole family, completely maskless. In spite of signs everywhere saying masks are required. It's so irritating.
What kind of a church allows their parishioners to infect others ? Why don't you say something publicly in front of those families with no mask on ?

I hope a new trend appears of the knock out game targeting people who don't have masks on. That would be a great improvement over the current begging and pleading model.

Old 02-02-2021, 09:33 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
I was at the dentist the other day and they asked me if I have been sick, I told them no, but it got me thinking. Since Mask wearing in public has become the standard in New York state since April 2020, I have not been sick once. No sore throats, no runny / stuffy nose, no dry cough were it feels like my lungs are on fire, no headaches, no illnesses of any kind. Usually I get sick at least once or twice during the winter weather season, but not last year or this year so far. I contribute this directly to everyone wearing a mask in public. Of course when Covid-19 is a thing of past, people will stop wearing masks, will greatly increase my exposure, but I plan to continue to wear a mask in public post Covid-19. When I wear masks, I wear KN-95 masks, they are the Chinese version of the N-95 masks, and while not quite as good, I believe they protect me far better than a multi-ply cloth masks or those surgical masks most people prefer. I don't plan on wearing masks around Family or Friends post Covid-19, so they can catch a cold and in turn pass it along to me, but I feel if continue to wear good masks in public, I will minimize my chances of catching that next cold.
Don't you think the vast decrease in social gatherings, and widespread adoption of mask wearing, than you wearing a mask?
No Easter Mass.
No Easter Brunch.
We had thanksgiving with a group of 4 instead of 24.
We didn't have my wife's group's "friendsgiving."
No Christmas Church service.
Christmas was much smaller in terms of travelling footprint and gathering size.
My FIL didn't have his annual holiday party with neighbors and co-workers.
A second annual holiday gathering that is usually followed up with a trip to a bar was cancelled.
New Years eve, where we normally would gather with 1/2 dozen neighbors, was my wife and I.
No sporting events (normally we go to two or three a year.)
No concerts.
No outings of a dozen friends for someone's birthday at a restaurant.

Personally, I'd rather catch a cold.

Old 02-02-2021, 09:52 AM

13,615 posts, read 7,927,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Florida and South Dakota aren't wearing them much even now, and will quickly forget it like a bad dream.
This is factually untrue.

I can't speak for SD, but 99% of people I see in Florida wear masks; which is all the more absurd considering that there is no mandate, and most businesses won't bother you if you aren't masked - at least in the western panhandle which I frequent. My relatives further east and south in the state tell me that they get harassed if they don't wear masks.

Old 02-02-2021, 09:56 AM

104 posts, read 61,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Asian countries has always been a mask wearing society than Western countries. Because it's been known for a long long time to stop the spread of infectious diseases since Asian countries are always densely populated. Hospital workers are required to wear masks during flu season where patients are. So this has long been the practice at many places. Our society needs to move forward and think from a long term perspective that mask wearing has huge benefits over not wearing them even with covid vaccine fully deployed. There will be another covid variant and other viruses that we don't have vaccines for that can be stopped mask wearing during winter months. So it's not news that mask wearing should be promoted and not frowned up even in the future.
Asian countries weak mask because pollution period and not every single person wear mask, please stop saying they wear mask to stop spread of infectious diseases.

The way Asian wearing mask no different than other Western countries, they wear mask down below they nose, they pull they mask up and down etc... you don't believe me go to youtube and watch.

They handle covid better than others due to very redistricted quarantine and contract tracing.

Watch these.

https://youtu.be/CfoNMcO9uQU

https://youtu.be/VVVu8gr5Y74

Old 02-02-2021, 10:10 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,739 times
If it makes sense, people won't do it.

Old 02-02-2021, 10:20 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,429,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
The flimsy hospital-type masks are polyester. That's a type of plastic. It doesn't really burn. It just melts, like burning a plastic bag. I actually tried it, so I know. Reusable fabric ones might actually burn, though.

As for mask-wearing, I think a politically-driven culture will emerge, like global warming or tax cuts for corporations. States like New York and California will embrace masks fervently until year 2121 at least (when the current pro-mask generations die out or get too old to care). Florida and South Dakota aren't wearing them much even now, and will quickly forget it like a bad dream. In the short term, we'll end up with "mask states" and "face states".
You are wrong, probably 95% of Floridians I encounter and I live here are wearing masks where required. I don't know about Miami area, they are another bird altogether being far younger than the rest of Florida, but in Central Florida they are wearing masks. At rest areas the ones I see not wearing masks are from out of state. Seems they think no mandate you don't need to wear a mask.

Old 02-02-2021, 10:20 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I don't think anyone who is sick and knows it should be out and about. In fact, I reported a sick employee at Lowes to management the other day. She was so sick I thought she was going to pass out while she was mixing my paint! Look, I'm sorry you're sick and I know you probably need the hours but please...go home. And no - SHE WAS NOT WEARING A MASK. She was only wearing some sort of face shield. It made me very uncomfortable.

When I was a bank manager, I used to have to argue with my employees about taking PTO if they were sick, and DO NOT COME IN TILL YOU HAVE BEEN FEVER FREE FOR 24 HOURS. Wow, they didn't like that. But they KNEW if they came in, they'd probably spread whatever they had. Sheeze.

I think most people are just so selfish. Honestly, don't most people by now realize that wearing a mask is for OTHER PEOPLE moreso than for the individual wearing the mask?

I get mad at church because there are so many elderly people there (the vast majority of whom are wearing masks) but then in will come a whole family, completely maskless. In spite of signs everywhere saying masks are required. It's so irritating.

Post COVID, I'd say if you know you're sick, stay home if at all possible, and when you do venture out eventually, wear a mask. And I don't actually mind anyone wearing a mask anytime.

All that being said, I've been taking supplements now for several years and I do believe my immune system is in great order and therefore I have only been sickish (not really really sick but with a cold) for three days one time in about four years.
My son works at a fast food place. He was sent a text that someone tested positive and he would be notified within 48 hours if contact tracing showed he would need to quarantine. They still expected him to go in even after someone was tested positive. He decided to use PTO sick for his shift the next day and his MGR threatened to write him up by a phone call. He went in but I was furious when I found out he was being bullied by his boss. Store will not be named.

So employee may have not wanted to be there but was forced to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness