Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2021, 03:55 PM

1,200 posts, read 619,478 times

Advertisements

Over 35 years ago I found out I couldn't see out of my left eye due to macular scarring in the center of my eye. Now I'm 64 and I have cataracts. The surgeon I saw said there are risks to having the cataract surgery in my good eye. He said we'll talk again in a year from now.

If you were in my shoes what would you do? I know the cataracts will keep on growing and I don't want to lose my vision in my right (good) eye.

I would get other opinions but I can't travel far since I'm a live-in caregiver for my 95 year old Mom plus I live in rural Vermont.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2021, 08:17 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,902,551 times
The important thing you left out of your post is whether or not the cataract is affecting your vision. If it is, I would talk to a more confident surgeon. If it isn't, maybe waiting is a better idea because new IOLs are coming out all the time. Many people have cataracts the eye doctor can see long before they start actually affecting vision. Sometimes they take decades to be a problem.

Old 02-08-2021, 11:23 PM

Thanks for replying. Yes, the cataracts are affecting my vision so I need to find more surgeon(s) that could give me their opinions about having surgery. The cataracts started around 3 years ago and now they have grown to the point where my vision is very cloudy, blurry, etc.

I'm not close to any cities so I would have to travel far to see other doctors and find someone to take care of my Mom.

Thanks again

Old 02-09-2021, 07:05 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,902,551 times
There are IOLs that can give you better vision than you had in your eye before you got the cataract. It's even possible to get 20/20 near and distance vision restored. Not all surgeons can perform these types of surgery. Considering that you are blind in one eye it makes sense you get the ABSOLUTE best outcome you can.

I understand about being rural. I live on a rural island 3,000 miles away from the mainland. I was just lucky that when I needed my cataract surgery the surgeon I went to was one of the best, and now I don't need glasses or contacts anymore. It sounds like you have some research ahead of you and you'll need to solicit some help not only to care for your mother but to get you back and forth from appointments during the surgery.

Best of luck, and I hope you will come back and post a happy ending.

Old 02-12-2021, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
There are IOLs that can give you better vision than you had in your eye before you got the cataract. It's even possible to get 20/20 near and distance vision restored. Not all surgeons can perform these types of surgery. Considering that you are blind in one eye it makes sense you get the ABSOLUTE best outcome you can.

I understand about being rural. I live on a rural island 3,000 miles away from the mainland. I was just lucky that when I needed my cataract surgery the surgeon I went to was one of the best, and now I don't need glasses or contacts anymore. It sounds like you have some research ahead of you and you'll need to solicit some help not only to care for your mother but to get you back and forth from appointments during the surgery.

Best of luck, and I hope you will come back and post a happy ending.
Thanks again for your reply. I know of an excellent doctor who I met when I first became blind in my left eye (I was living in a different state at that time) and he could recommend the best surgeons for me. Thus I have lots of calls to make as well as research.

This is not an emergency but something that needs to be taken care of within a year so I'm not rushed.

Thanks again for the information, it is very much appreciated!

Old 02-12-2021, 07:19 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,477,629 times
https://www.columbiaeye.org/profile/...ofile=provider

Old 02-14-2021, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
Thank you, I'll put this doctor on my list.

Old 02-14-2021, 03:19 PM

30,433 posts, read 21,248,616 times
I would get the cadalacs removed.

Old 02-15-2021, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I would get the cadalacs removed.
Yes I plan on doing that but it has to be the right surgeon who is knowledgeable. There are doctors who could do possible damage and I don't want to lose the vision in my good eye or have complications from the surgery.

Thanks!

Old 02-16-2021, 10:52 AM

1,013 posts, read 725,242 times
I’m kind of in a similar situation. I’ve been functionally blind in one eye since a very young age and both eyes have cataracts. My doctor says to wait until it’s really hampering my vision in the good eye since there is a small risk of complications from surgery. It’s going to be hard to decide when the right time will be.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness