Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2021, 04:29 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,379,498 times

Advertisements

Surgeon is going to do a Discectomy on one, possibly 3 Discs. What can I expect as far as recovery time and pain / discomfort. Male, 61 y/o, somewhat active, and otherwise healthy. Work requires some lifting (50 lbs.), and on my feet 6 hours a day. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2021, 05:02 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times
Yes, I had one in 2019 at L5/S1 for a herniated disc with nerve root compression. Surgery was very easy. I arrived around 5:30 am and went home around Noon. The pain at the incision site (which was only an inch long) was comparatively nonexistent compared to the pain the surgery corrected. I didn't even use any of the narcotic they prescribed, I only took ibuprofen for about 2 days. You're having multiple levels done, so you'll probably have more discomfort than I did, though.

Recovery was also easy. I took it easy for a few days and that was it. However, there are lifting restrictions of no more than 5-10 pounds for a few weeks after, and I didn't exercise at all (other than walking) for about 6 weeks.

With the work requirements you describe above, I doubt you will be able to work for several weeks, you certainly won't be able to do the lifting....

Old 02-11-2021, 05:30 AM

332 posts, read 220,113 times
Ive had 4 back operations. I am familiar with a discectomy. I am sorry I ever let them touch me. I am good now, but it took 10 years. Good luck.

Old 02-11-2021, 08:24 AM

1,013 posts, read 725,242 times
I had one to correct a herniated disc pressing on the sciatic nerve. Day surgery. I was uncomfortable for several days but nothing really bad. It fixed my sciatica. Mine was 14 years ago so the procedure may be improved since 2007.

Old 02-11-2021, 01:55 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,205,098 times
Another success story here. I had discectomy and laminectomy in 2005. Have only had minor issues since then (no hard core pain meds, just some advil once in awhile). I was working an office/desk job so I was back to work in two weeks. I agree with Texas Ag93 - your recovery may take a little longer.

Old 02-11-2021, 03:23 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,379,498 times
OP here, Doc called, said my Herniated Disc have healed themselves, but know is talking about a Fusion at S1 I believe. He compared last years MRI to the new one last week......this really instills confidence. My job requires 50 lbs......he sez "Never happen", so I gues retirement is sooner than expected....I'm okay with that.

Old 02-11-2021, 03:56 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLfan1977 View Post
I had one to correct a herniated disc pressing on the sciatic nerve. Day surgery. I was uncomfortable for several days but nothing really bad. It fixed my sciatica. Mine was 14 years ago so the procedure may be improved since 2007.
My sister had this done because of unrelenting sciatica. Don't know how many vertebrae were involved. No complications, pretty easy recovery without heavy duty pain or pain meds according to her (and she's extremely paranoid/fussy about all things medical). Resolved her sciatica. She's out about 4 months now and very glad she went ahead with it. The relief was major.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-11-2021 at 04:06 PM..

Old 02-13-2021, 10:18 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
Surgeon is going to do a Discectomy on one, possibly 3 Discs. What can I expect as far as recovery time and pain / discomfort. Male, 61 y/o, somewhat active, and otherwise healthy. Work requires some lifting (50 lbs.), and on my feet 6 hours a day. Thanks.
From what I've researched, it's a 50% chance it will work and 50% chance it will make the disk bulge more. For me, it made the disk bulge more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
OP here, Doc called, said my Herniated Disc have healed themselves, but know is talking about a Fusion at S1 I believe. He compared last years MRI to the new one last week......this really instills confidence. My job requires 50 lbs......he sez "Never happen", so I gues retirement is sooner than expected....I'm okay with that.
Do you mean L5S1? I'm fused there in 2002 and rods and screws were added in 2006. I was 37 when I had the 1st surgery that failed. It didn't fuse all the way, I had micro motion which was bone rubbing metal on the fusion with every step I took.

I have a friend that fused the same level (we're both women with men's jobs) at 62, I told her to baby her back. She did baby it as much as she could for the 1st few months then was back to her old life. It will be 2 years July 3rd, she's doing ok. If it's going to fail she will find out this summer after riding her new Harley that's a bigger bike then we both usually ride. We usually do 1200 Sportsters.

I have better advice, instead of fusing, look for someone that does a flexible disk. Backs are not made to be stiff. I wish I would have gotten a flexible disk. In 2006 (after my fusion), I met someone that had 3 levels done in Germany with flexible disks that had a better outcome. They weren't being done in the US back then but are being done now so you have more options then me.

If you do fuse, please, whatever you do, baby your back for the 1st year. I did not and I was 20 years younger then you. Mine failed. Ask the doctor which kind of fusion he's doing, is it cadaver bone or hip bone? Mine was cadaver. Not sure what my friend had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness