Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 01:07 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,362,412 times

Advertisements

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/s...dtherest#close

Quote:
About a year into the global pandemic, as the worldwide death toll exceeds a dizzying 2.3 million—nearly half a million in the United States alone—hope has arrived in the form of multiple vaccines created in record time that have shown impressive success in preventing COVID-19.

“What all the vaccines have been is very highly protective against severe disease, hospitalization, and death,” says William Moss, executive director of the International Vaccine Access Center at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. That, he says, is the most important success story of COVID-19 vaccines and will help bring this brutal pandemic under control.

With the number of vaccinated individuals growing daily, many wonder: What previously risky activities, such as meeting up indoors with friends or going out shopping without a mask on, are now safer with a vaccine? This is what the experts say about how to calculate the risks of some common activities after you’ve been vaccinated.

A decent article

This is NOT a post on pros and cons of vaccines

Old 02-11-2021, 01:38 PM

10,560 posts, read 7,763,547 times
Great source for article but it's behind a wall.
Of course the smart arse answer is "nothing". Life is not a safe proposition.

Safe in regards to coronavirus? Again, I'd guess they're saying nothing is entirely safe.

What will I do? Everything!

Old 02-11-2021, 02:45 PM

16,412 posts, read 8,198,277 times
seems that people will have to wait a while to do much since most people havent had the vaccine yet

Old 02-11-2021, 03:19 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,575,119 times
You have 3 months to do what you need to do.

Quote:
The eased rules announced Wednesday start 14 days after the final vaccination dose and last for three months after that dose for people who show no symptoms. The latter timeframe could be extended as more is learned about the long-term impact of the vaccines. CDC notes that, although the risk of transmission from vaccinated people is still uncertain, vaccination has been demonstrated to prevent symptomatic COVID-19.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...us/6711165002/

It's pretty disappointing. That coincides with the results of Moderna's vaccine.

Old 02-11-2021, 04:14 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
A vaccine that confers immunity for only 3 months is almost worse than nothing. We can't be vaccinating the entire world every 3 months.

Old 02-11-2021, 04:46 PM

9,136 posts, read 6,185,387 times
I am fully vaccinated! Yay! Oh- wait. The immunity takes about two weeks to become effective. Okay. So no changes in behavior for two weeks.

Should I visit someone? Can I visit grandma at the home? Nope - probably still not a good idea.

Maybe I'll plan a vacation for the summer. Yes that's it! No - that's more than three months away - my protection may not work then. I guess I'll go to the supermarket and get a cake to celebrate my new freedom.

Bah humbug.

Old 02-11-2021, 05:26 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
People keep expecting/hoping one specific action taken is going to end the pandemic.

Something with as much global scope and momentum as Covid-19 is going to require coordinated action on multiple fronts...including, but not limited to, vaccination. Avoiding transmission via social behavior (masks, distancing), changes in personal behavior (handwashing, disinfection), changing how public health agencies operate, as well as more effective treatment for those who do end up actively sick. If for nothing else, to keep medical responses from being overwhelmed with every subsequent wave. There are other serious health problems in the population that have been sidelined by the pandemic but they still need attention. Guess I prefer to look at vaccination as one more tool in the box, not the ultimate answer. I don't expect to be able to throw caution to the wind...at least not yet. Sure, I'm getting vaccinated and that will probably less my chances of ending up with severe disease. A bit less fear on a personal level at least. That's not a bad thing. Fear does bad things to people and to their behavior. At least that may also mean I won't need to take resources away from someone who may be more vulnerable than I am. They have loved ones too.

In a way, it may be better that the pandemic continue because that will keep the research community's focus on developing vaccines that actually do convey longer term immunity or stop the viral process itself. If Covid-19 dwindles to something that's less than a global scourge, more likely the medical community, big pharma, and governmental fund sources turn their focus onto something else.

There have already been silver linings to the cloud that is Covid-19. As part of the global response we've identified other potential viruses lurking on the sidelines, there's been more research into viral biology in general, advances in treatment and immune system biology, identifying and cleaning up transmission vectors (and ruling out the ones that don't play a part ie. vilifying animals that don't actually play a role), developing stronger response plans (social, financial, political, governmental) for future wide scale emergencies. Questioning the way we do global business in general and how vulnerable "the way we've always done it" can be.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-11-2021 at 05:57 PM..

Old 02-11-2021, 05:30 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times
So much denial going on.

The vaccine does not prevent the virus.

It might only last for three months.

We (as a society) have to deal with reality.

Old 02-11-2021, 06:56 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
Yay if you've gotten the vacinne - you still need to wear a mask, take precautions, etc. - just hope that if you get it you won't have it so severely.

Old 02-11-2021, 06:56 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,860,522 times
The only reason "it might only last 3 months" is because we don't have enough data showing it lasts longer yet. Unproven doesn't mean yes or no. We only have data showing it definitely lasts at least 3 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Yay if you've gotten the vacinne - you still need to wear a mask, take precautions, etc. - just hope that if you get it you won't have it so severely.
Fully vaccinated people very rarely get severe covid. Less than 1 in 100k in the data so far, and that is in people over 60.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness