Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2021, 12:25 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
You're ignoring what I wrote, but why do you need the puffs? I sleep perfectly fine every day. When people like you says you need 1-2 to help sleep, that creates a dependency. People do that with sleeping pills.
You clearly haven't struggled with insomnia, which is not limited to evil people who use substances you don't approve of. Usually, the insomnia comes first, then the search for something--oh, my god, anything--to help you get some sleep. Don't use your own limited experience to judge others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2021, 12:34 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,927,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
It was the criminal justice system that made it dangerous. The pot of the 1960's and 1970's had low THC content and high CBD content. A lot of it was imported from countries where the drug strains were grown within pollination distance of the hemp strains which kept the THC content low. The war on some drugs created a situation where the drug strains were grown indoors where the product was selectively bred to where the THC content became up to 60 times higher and the CBD content was extremely low because penalties were harsher based on the amount of the plant matter a person was busted with. It made sense to have less quantity of a stronger product. So now we're on the other end of this failed war and the end result is a plant that used to be relatively harmless is now potent and potentially dangerous. They made a product that was comparable to beer or wine and turned it into Everclear.
Dead on. Marijuana today, legal or illegal is completely different than the marijuana of yesteryear. We have no one to blame but ourselves for that. Many people can't deal with the very high levels of THC, and we do precious little to educate about any of this.

While I would agree smoking old-time homegrown pot was similar in many ways to drinking beer or wine - in the end beer or wine were/are far more dangerous. When you look at the destruction that alcoholism causes, they are not even in the same ball park.

Last edited by GearHeadDave; 02-14-2021 at 12:43 PM..

Old 02-14-2021, 12:39 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,480,995 times
Opium started out in China as a medicine.

Old 02-14-2021, 01:02 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I agree completely. Judgmental sanctimony can feed some people's narcissism, and enjoying the discomfort of others while the abstainer brags about their wholesome purity and quotes Bible verses can give certain types a psychological lift - or a buzz, if you will.

Over 25 years ago, my best friend, one of my sisters, and my former mother-in-law threw me a baby shower. My then husband was from a fundie Christian family.

By today's standards the shower was super prim and tame. My sister and friend lobbied for one of the punches to include champagne. The other punch was alcohol-free.

Throughout the "festivities", my MIL and Pentecostal sister in law watched who chose which punch. They were seriously getting off on this!

Apparently, smug self-righteousness can be a type of drug, for some.
That's why I am an Episcopalian. We have wine at our potluck suppers.

And of course, we do make the basement available for 12-step meetings.

That was all in the olden days before COVID, of course. Now 12-step meetings are Zoomed.

Old 02-14-2021, 05:49 PM

5,712 posts, read 4,289,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
$40 a day smoking pot? I don't think so......for $40 you can buy an eighth of an ounce of good pot in Massachusetts. Even heavy smokers aren't smoking an eighth a day. The woman you know has much bigger problems than smoking pot.

Not sure about that. I have a friend who smokes or used to smoke all day long. He runs multiple businesses (including selling pot lol) and has multiple kids in college. I don't know how much he smokes now, but back in his 20s and 30s he easily smoked an eighth a day. I was a heavy pot smoker and his use dwarfed mine. he was still going strong when I had to quit because it was too potent. I rarely talk to him now but I know from mutual friends he still smokes a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Why?
Because there were three largest trades in the world.
1. carbohydrates. Oil, gas, etc
2. weapons
3. narcotics
As of lately, narcotics is becoming #2 heavy hitter.
This is why anything narcotics is glamorized. Financial networks have heavy investments into that and, promoting narcotics brings more profit.
Qui bono.
who stands, or stood, to gain (from a crime, and so might have been responsible for it)?

Technical correction only, oil is a hydrocarbon not a carbohydrate.

Old 02-14-2021, 06:08 PM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Camarottop View Post
I personally know several heavy smokers that smoke 5+ times per day. They all have money problems, issues like WORSENING anxiety/depression, somewhat secluded lifestyles so they can smoke, relationship problems, etc. Some even seem to be aging faster from all their smoking...not to mention the somewhat seedy act of obtaining it and any possible legal ramifications. Smoking cigs often seems to accompany weed smokers too.

And what about the kids? Yeah...I know some that smoke in front of their children (any age) like it’s nothing more than taking a sip of water.

I think of it like this — for every action there’s a reaction. If you continually flood your body with THC your mind will simply adapt and the once enjoyable high will become your new normal. Not feeling well — smoke. Anxiety — smoke. Something bad happens — smoke. Need to get the day going — smoke. Wanna relax after a hard day — smoke. It’s basically the same logic an alcoholic may use.

Just not sure if something continually put in your body to alter the mind can in fact continue doing it in a positive way. Perhaps the ultimate peace we seek has to come from within?

With all this said, I do know many people claim to have no negative side effects. In some cases I believe them but in others I sometimes think perhaps they genuinely just can’t see outside their own thoughts.

The well adjusted, motivated, emotionally balanced, financially secure, physically fit, heavy pot smoker seems to be a very rare thing.
People who smoke 5 times a day already had issues. That's like comparing most people's social drinking to people who drink from the minute they get up till they go to bed. Both my fiance and myself have smoked for decades but not 5 times a day, in moderation, and we don't have any of the issues your friends have. Chronic, excessive use of ANY substance is bad.

Old 02-14-2021, 06:10 PM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Dead on. Marijuana today, legal or illegal is completely different than the marijuana of yesteryear. We have no one to blame but ourselves for that. Many people can't deal with the very high levels of THC, and we do precious little to educate about any of this.

While I would agree smoking old-time homegrown pot was similar in many ways to drinking beer or wine - in the end beer or wine were/are far more dangerous. When you look at the destruction that alcoholism causes, they are not even in the same ballpark.
As someone who has worked in physical rehab for 24 years, I agree with you. I have had countless patients with liver disease, "wet brain" and other drinking-related disorders, I can't say I have ever had a patient who was suffering from effects of marijuana.

Old 02-14-2021, 07:04 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,994 times
Here's another perspective.

If you know a well-adjusted, functional, stabile person you wouldn't necessarily know they were a pot smoker unless they told you. Those types just don't draw attention to themselves overall.

If you know a dumpster fire train wreck, they're already attracting attention to themselves so their habitual pot use would probably be more evident.

I will add this though. Pot smoking may not rise to the definition of an addiction per se, but I do believe it can certainly be a habit.

Old 02-14-2021, 07:17 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShipWreck View Post
I will never be accepting of marijuana usage, or any other illegal drug usage. I've been in the criminal justice field for 30 years now in 2021... So, maybe I am biased. But, I want nothing to do with it, and I want nothing to do with anyone who uses the substances personally.

And yes - there are consequences to the use of marijuana, despite what the geniuses who want to use the stuff continue to say...
There are consequences to many things people do. Too many donuts makes you fat and diabetic. Cigs gives you cancer. Alcohol ruins your liver. There is a Netflix show highlighting a Mr. Olympia champion that was so addicted to lifting weights he blew his knees and hips and now uses a walker. Marijuana is pretty benign compared to many legal vises. I have a friend with Fibromyalgia who says pot eases her pain. They say it helps with glaucoma and problems associated with cancer. Hard to say donuts or cigs have any medicinal value.

Its not for me. I tried it twice and did not like how I felt. But I don't look down or avoid people who use it. I know others who use it regularly and function fine in society. As others have said there are probably people that those on here might know who never mention they smoke pot. Perhaps someone you work with or a neighbor. But I have known people who are lazy pot smokers and are not doing much with their life. Question is are they lazy people who just happen to smoke pot or did pot make them that way?

But look millions of Americans have used it for decades when it was illegal. Either we put them in prison or tax them and use that money for the public good. Seems like a simple choice to me. Prohibition as we found out with liquor and the last few decades with pot does not work.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 02-14-2021 at 07:30 PM..

Old 02-14-2021, 09:54 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Camarottop View Post
I personally know several heavy smokers that smoke 5+ times per day. They all have money problems, issues like WORSENING anxiety/depression, somewhat secluded lifestyles so they can smoke, relationship problems, etc. Some even seem to be aging faster from all their smoking...not to mention the somewhat seedy act of obtaining it and any possible legal ramifications. Smoking cigs often seems to accompany weed smokers too.

And what about the kids? Yeah...I know some that smoke in front of their children (any age) like it’s nothing more than taking a sip of water.

I think of it like this — for every action there’s a reaction. If you continually flood your body with THC your mind will simply adapt and the once enjoyable high will become your new normal. Not feeling well — smoke. Anxiety — smoke. Something bad happens — smoke. Need to get the day going — smoke. Wanna relax after a hard day — smoke. It’s basically the same logic an alcoholic may use.

Just not sure if something continually put in your body to alter the mind can in fact continue doing it in a positive way. Perhaps the ultimate peace we seek has to come from within?

With all this said, I do know many people claim to have no negative side effects. In some cases I believe them but in others I sometimes think perhaps they genuinely just can’t see outside their own thoughts.

The well adjusted, motivated, emotionally balanced, financially secure, physically fit, heavy pot smoker seems to be a very rare thing.

Glamorized? I think it is just another drug for people that can't handle the beauty of real life. It is a crutch for the weak. Hardly glamorous. I categorize it like someone on the street corner drinking a 40 looking like a loser.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness