Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2021, 05:01 AM

332 posts, read 220,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Camarottop View Post
But it seems young people are some of the most depressed and most willing to self medicate with marijuana “medicine”. But if it also causes laziness and lack of funds...well it’s just a messed up situation.
What do expect, look at the generation that raised them, it was my generation and we did a very crappy job. My peer group is wacked out on prescription drugs, alcohol and obesity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2021, 05:28 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,219,854 times
The young person that I raised doesn't do any of those things: No alcohol, pot or booze. I, OTH, have done all those things. I smoked cigarettes, drank, and consumed pot. I gave up cigs in 1999, gave up alcohol for good about 6 months ago, the only thing left is pot. I smoke 1/3 of a joint every night. I'm okay with it.

Old 02-16-2021, 06:31 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Someone I know just started a beverage company where the drinks are seltzer infused cannabis. As humans it feels like we rely very heavily on mind altering substances. From alcohols to pit to caffeine. I won't even get started on hard drugs that people do but most people seems to engage in something that helps them escape reality.

Old 02-16-2021, 07:05 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
I'm not reading 9 pages of ignorance. I'll just say I know of many people who have been regular smokers for 40 years and their lives worked out just fine. This is 2021 and people still are living in Reefer Madness days.

Old 02-16-2021, 07:37 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,219,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I'm not reading 9 pages of ignorance. I'll just say I know of many people who have been regular smokers for 40 years and their lives worked out just fine. This is 2021 and people still are living in Reefer Madness days.

Reefer madness was such a hoot! I remember it fondly.

Old 02-16-2021, 09:00 AM

256 posts, read 140,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
Reefer madness was such a hoot! I remember it fondly.
I want to watch it ... but I want to be HIGH to do it... I see Kristen Bell is in it

https://dvd.netflix.com/Movie/Reefer...sical/70020739

Old 02-16-2021, 09:19 AM

7,922 posts, read 3,462,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Camarottop View Post
But if marijuana is harmless — what’s wrong with smoking as many times as you eat or drink during a day? How’s it any different than eating 5 apples?
Drink what? Water or whiskey?

Old 02-16-2021, 09:41 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, most marijuana users aren't addicted. There's no physical addiction, no withdrawal. Even people who smoke daily can take a few days off and they aren't going to suffer. It's not like heroin or alcohol in that regard, which can cause serious physical withdrawal symptoms.

There is a potential for psychological addiction if a person is relying on smoking to deal with some emotional issue.
I don't necessarily like these arguments. The overall "it's not addictive like other drugs, there's no withdrawal!" thing. Nah. Look, nicotine is one of the most addictive substances there is, I think, I should know since it's got its hooks in me, deep. But when I've tried to quit, even getting through months, it isn't the physical stuff that breaks me. Sure, I have some minor physical effects, but they don't matter. What MAKES it addictive is that I become impossible to live with, my psychology and mood are wrecked. I freak out over nothing. One day the panic attacks and anxiety and hostility just gets too much to cope with and I run back to cigs.

I smoked as a young person, and since then I've known lots of people who habitually partake of cannabis. Seems to me that most of them reach a point of "maintenance" dosing, it does not seem to make them high anymore. Like, when I was a teen doing it, I remember sitting up late laughing at Beavis & Butthead or something, goofing and geeking with friends and eating all the food... the stereotypical "stoned" experience. But the people I know who do it every day don't do any of that. And one effect that I had as a teen that they seem to have in abundance, is that if there's anything in their lives that they don't WANT to deal with but really should? All those "ugh, do I have to?" tasks? They simply don't care. It lets them blow off things that are important, and not worry about consequences. Until they sober up, and the problem is still sitting there, and they get high again for relief from it. There is a HUGE difference between getting high now and then and having a good time, and smoking every day just to maintain your state of mind. And when those who use it as "meds" in this way, have to go off of it? Yeah, they have spikes of anger, hostility, anxiety...and they're hard to live with. And they often have a very strong desire to get more and to go back to it. For a while. The good thing is, if you push through the withdrawal, maybe a week or two, and you bear a conviction that you do want to quit, beyond a point it isn't hard to leave it behind. It's easy to not miss it, years later. I've talked to (tobacco) smokers who still have cravings decades after quitting.

And the thing is, there are people who don't even know that they have a serious mental illness until their 20's, schizophrenia and related syndromes often show up in young adulthood for the first time, and are exacerbated by marijuana use...yet some people claim that it is an effective treatment, if only you find the right kind, but (and frankly I'm sick to death of this) SOME people claim that weed can cure anything, if only you use it the right way or find the right derivative or strain. I am not buying, not even a little, that it's a harmless miracle cure-all.

And I can tell you that I am, personally, VASTLY more functional without it in my life.

Bottom line...I don't want it (or alcohol) anywhere near me or in my household. However, I support legalization for a number of reasons. The drug war is a travesty, for one thing, I know the whole history, the racism, the Hearst and Dupont connection, Ainslinger, all of it. Past due to be reversed. BUT. I want very badly for more science, on drugs and their effects, what their TRUE potential as medicine is, what's real and what's snake oil. And I badly want widespread cultivation and application for industrial hemp, because it's a sustainable solution to a lot of problems, useful for so many things.

So, like many things, I am pro-personal-choice, even if I am anti-doing-that-thing (myself.)

Old 02-16-2021, 09:49 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,918,983 times
you have the perfect attitude then; not caring if others do it, knowing no one should go to jail for it, but you just dont want to do it yourself..

I'm the same way with booze; my first wife was an alky, wrecked endless cars, lost her job because of it, cost me thousands of dollars when we were married, lost her husband and children from it, and is now committed by the state because of her extreme addiction. Thats why I dont drink..

But, my friends do, my wife has some now and then, my kids have some now and then, and I am fine with all that, just understand why I do NOT want to do it..

Old 02-16-2021, 10:08 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
The short answer is, that it's now glamorized because it was once abusrdly demonized. Both characterizations are false. It's like the whole "Fat is bad, fat makes you fat" craze of the 90's. Fat is just a macronutrient. Calories make you fat, irrespective of where they came from. MJ is a psychotropic drug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness