Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2021, 03:13 PM

85 posts, read 32,338 times

Advertisements

Read a few of these posts ~ amazing ```

People in America, Good people, have been puffing Bush for as long as there has been an America ~ Some people, good people decided they should not and set about making laws to do harm to those who did, put them in jail, take their property ```
Now in this day an age they have taken the wrong side of the Cannabis issue in the political arena, One party which is a coalition of many groups, But controlled by the Left Wing has taken up legalization of what you call POT```

The people against Pot haven't woken up to the fact that the Left Wing in taking over your country ~ We/you let them have a freedom issue ~ Yes, fight them on the killing of children in the womb, teaching homosexuality is great in schools, but damn it we/you are loosing America, and you let them have an issue of Justice and freedom by hanging on to: No, Good People don't smoke that stuff ~ lets put them in jail ```

It may be too late for you to wake up ~ I hope not

-------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by MisterShipWreck View Post
I will never be accepting of marijuana usage, or any other illegal drug usage. I've been in the criminal justice field for 30 years now in 2021.
------------------------------------------

Do you realize you're losing your country, the energy you use on this could better be spent on stopping their conquest ~ kid can be gotten to politicly by this one issue ~ "They the {Government} want to outlaw a plant"

I'm 83 now ~ Born the year the Gov decided to have a twit hand and envelop to Gene Krupa and arrest him on stage before a concert ~ I was in school when Refer Madness was shown in Science class ~ They came to school like God " You can have any plant in this garden But not This One Because We decided !!!!!!!!!!!

Couple friends and I were discovered with some of the Devil Weed lying on the ground under the car ~ I was 16 I think ~ thru me in the clink, didn't graduate with the rest ```

There are Lots of Americans who wish to smoke Cannabis, they don't care what you do or plan to use law against you ~ they are every bit as good a person as you some may be a touch better ```

We Both Love America I hope and suppose ~ a whole new millions are growing up facing the same issue ~ and we, you and I let the damn Left Wing that are Communists sons a butches have the issue of Liberty ```

Can anyone in here see how that looks to a kid in school ~ listening to Leftish teachers ```

You know that story of a monkey trap ~ he sticks his hand in the bottle, grabs a handful of nuts ~ but can't pull his hand out with a fist full of nuts, and won't let go of the nuts as they walk over and put him in a bag ```

I wish you all a happy Holy Easter to come ```
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2021, 07:39 PM

10,659 posts, read 7,880,094 times
Ultimately causes mental problems? Nonsense.

Old 03-20-2021, 05:02 PM

761 posts, read 318,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Ultimately causes mental problems? Nonsense.
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...d-to-psychosis

Quote:
The researchers then asked these individuals and a control group of 1,200-plus other healthy people about their habits, including their use of weed. "We asked people if they used cannabis, when did they start using it and what kind of cannabis," explains study author Marta Di Forti, a psychiatrist and clinician scientist at King's College London.

The study found that those who used pot daily were three times more likely to have a psychotic episode compared with someone who never used the drug.

Use of high-potency weed almost doubled the odds of having psychosis compared with someone who had never smoked weed, explains Di Forti.

And for those who used high-potency pot on a daily basis, the risk of psychosis was even greater — four times greater than those who had never used.
Hmm, at a time when mental illness is obviously a huge problem in society — we see a study that says daily users are 3-4 more times likely to develop a psychotic episode.

What this tells me is that there is no free lunch when it comes to intoxication — temporary stress reliever with the potential for disaster.

And I say this as someone who has watched a daily smoker reach the level of psychosis with no other drugs involved. The human brain loves efficiency and marijuana can often become a coping mechanism for efficiently dealing with life.

And this has nothing to do with legality which I’m indifferent about.

Best bet is to probably attempt making it through life with as little mind altering stuff as possible.

Old 03-20-2021, 05:21 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,096,313 times
I was raised by amazingly selfish people who were literally clueless about anything at all but the acquisition of money. If it cost money you couldnt do it. They were the only people that could spend money. If you got a little job you had to give them all your money, and they would give you back what you needed to continue going to work. They didnt think about what your incentive to keep going to work would be...

They sold their daughter, took everything she ever acquired away from her...
Broke her soul and killed her spirit...It was okay, because it was for them...

I went to a segregated school. It wasnt segregated based on traditional colors so much as it was based on the color of money. If you had plenty of green you were popular. Everyone loved your parents, and as part of that - they loved you.
If you didnt have plenty of green, you were a non-factor...you didnt matter...no matter what you did, the community would probably be better off without you, except for the fact that you provide entertainment as a clown to be abused...would they even notice if you disappeared one day?

I worked in a Corporation loaded with psychopaths, snakes, back-stabbers, nepotistic people who couldnt find their way out of a paper bag without your help...but would throw you to the dogs if they thought it would somehow make them look better.. .

And some fool wants to claim weed is the source of psychosis?

Old 03-20-2021, 05:53 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,536,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
That's a good point.

It's just about impossible to find good leaf to buy anymore, unless you know a grower, and I find I have to be pretty careful with bud. Or I can wind up stupefied rather than relaxed and happy. I find the same is true of liquor as well - I don't like the hard stuff for exactly the same reason.

As higher grade cannabis has become cheaper and more widely available, it doesn't make much sense to smoke it the old fashioned way, which was to inhale a lungful of air while at the same time drawing as much smoke from a joint as you possibly could. You did that in the old days because of all the low-grade schwag on the market and supplies being costly and uncertain, and you wanted to get the most buzzed for your buck. The process of smoking cannabis was quite different from how tobacco cigarettes are smoked.

For anyone who feels they must smoke cannabis, but doesn't want to get blitzed after one hit, it makes sense to smoke it the way ordinary cigarettes are smoked. Anyone who has ever smoked both cannabis and tobacco cigarettes will understand what I mean. For those who haven't, suffice to say that with tobacco, you suck in a mouthful of smoke and then a lungful of air. To smoke pot this way would have seemed insanely wasteful in the old days, but given how cheap and plentiful good smoke is these days, I don't think that's true anymore. You may consume more product if you smoke it this way, but it's a lot easier on the lungs and much easier to judge your dose.

Old 03-20-2021, 06:46 PM

21,617 posts, read 8,781,823 times
This is an excerpt from the link cited by 87Camarottop:

Quote:
However, the study doesn't prove causality, cautions Dr. Diana Martinez, a psychiatrist and addiction researcher at Columbia University. "You can't say that cannabis causes psychosis," she says. "It's simply not supported by the data," she says.
Lisdahl agrees. In order to show causality, one would have to follow people over time — before they started using weed to years later when they have their psychotic episodes, she says. "You need twins in the studies, you need genetic information," among all other kinds of data, she says.
I think it is irresponsible to claim from this one study that cannabis causes mental illness. It is just as likely that people with a preexisting tendency toward mental illness used cannabis in an attempt to find relief from their symptoms. It's also important to note that the study didn't follow a representative sample of daily cannabis users. It only studied the cannabis history of daily users who had already been diagnosed with psychosis. So there was built-in bias.

Old 03-20-2021, 06:54 PM

51,169 posts, read 36,860,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post

I think it is irresponsible to claim from this one study that cannabis causes mental illness. It is just as likely that people with a preexisting tendency toward mental illness used cannabis in an attempt to find relief from their symptoms. It's also important to note that the study didn't follow a representative sample of daily cannabis users. It only studied the cannabis history of daily users who had already been diagnosed with psychosis. So there was built-in bias.
I and my fiance are both long-time users as are many of our friends. I have over the years known probably hundreds of pot smokers, yet I have never known anyone who had any sort of psychotic episode.

Old 03-20-2021, 08:19 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,495,353 times
Quote:

The entire study could be turned around and upside down to support this claim:

People who are already suffering from psychosis, are more likely to start smoking cannabis than people who are not already suffering from it.

However - that claim would be incorrect, since most people who smoke cannabis aren't psychotic.

Also, since most people who smoke cannabis aren't psychotic, the first hypothesis is also proven inaccurate.

What MIGHT actually make sense, would be this claim:

People who are already suffering from psychosis, are more likely to turn to cannabis as a self-treatment and preventative, than people who aren't.

And that would make sense because people who aren't suffering from psychosis, don't need to be treated for psychosis.

Old 03-20-2021, 10:28 PM

761 posts, read 318,147 times
Quote:

This seems to always be the answer...weed always gets a pass as any problems are simply preexisting conditions.

What if a much higher percentage of people than we think have some sort of underlying condition that marijuana doesn’t work well with?

Old 03-20-2021, 10:34 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,918,951 times
Using marijuana heavily does cause brain damage and memory loss, this has been in the literature for decades. And if you smoke it, you’re putting smoke from burning leaves into your lungs and blood stream.

Why do it? Cause you just want to get high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness