Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 05:05 PM

1,974 posts, read 1,103,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I don't if big pharma is all bad but I do know there is some bad in the HFS world.
Another good resource for checking quality
https://labdoor.com/rankings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2021, 01:17 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,119,785 times
I don't think the C and Zinc was ever said to lessen the symptoms but rather boost your immune system from getting it in the first place...

Old 02-17-2021, 01:48 AM

11,474 posts, read 5,995,398 times
I don't think these vitamins and minerals are supposed to be cures. I think they are supposed to have protective qualities to boost your immune system so respiratory viruses don't actually set and take hold in your system. They are for early use prefention, not late use treatment.

This is like the studies where they gave people on ventilators hydroxychloriquine and then declared HCQ useless. HCQ is supposed to be administered very early to prevent the cycotine storm from happening. When you are drowning in your own lung irritation fluid, it is too late for HCQ.

Dumb study done dumb.

Beyond which, nobody I know is saying Vitamin C and zinc is the preventative. I hear it is Vitamin D with zinc, not Vitamin C.

Old 02-17-2021, 07:50 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,612,851 times
I recently purchased "Maxlife Naturals" zinc, D-3, K2, combination. I don't know if that's a good brand or not, and I'm not advocating for or against it, it's put together in North Carolina, but I don't know if any ingredients are imported. I haven't started taking them yet. I read it being as a booster to health and immune system, not any kind of cure. Usually I take zero vitamins, but until I'm vaccinated I hope taking these can do no harm. These are 50 mg of zinc, I read yesterday that above 40 mg is not recommended, so I may take them every other day instead of every day. There is the potential to have too much zinc which can have an adverse affect.
I don't think any of us know the answers here, some posts are offensive. Nobody knows. But we can probably assume that boosting our D-3 during the winter without sun is probably not a bad thing. As long as taking a supplement does no harm and potentially does good, then it seems like a safe bet.

Old 02-17-2021, 07:55 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,252,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I'm just going to make a general statement...it seems strange that everyone is soooo deficient in all these vitamins and minerals and that is the supposed reason for all our ills and weaknesses. So we take the supplements...then of course the RDA is wrong for all of them so we are told to take double and triple and even more! Then....nope, you need this very specific FORM so your body and actually USE it. Then we also learn that you need 3 more supplements to make it bioavailable so we can REALLY absorb it.

How in the HE double hockey sticks did people get all this stuff "back in the day"? Our food was really THAT much better than now that they didn't have to worry about a thing? People say big pharma is a racket - supplements are no better and are big money makers for someone.
Many are D Deficient in the winter.

Old 02-17-2021, 08:02 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
I have read several different combinations of supplemental cocktails to take. I don't have COVID never had it. In addition I have never taken any vitamins or supplements. I have read all the posts here and now confused. I was told to try the ones below to build up my immune system. The CNN article seemed to be about people that had COVID which is not my case. Has anyone tried the ones listed below?

Vitamin D3 – 5000iu
Vitamin C –1000mg
Zinc – 50mg
N-acetylcysteine 600/500 mg (NAC)
I take all of the above and am fine. Been fine, expect to be fine in the future. Not only have I not contracted COVID, I have not been sick for years.

I just added D3, Zinc and NAC - prior to this past year and my checked levels of D3 by my doctor, I was only taking vitamin C.

Old 02-17-2021, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
I recently purchased "Maxlife Naturals" zinc, D-3, K2, combination. I don't know if that's a good brand or not, and I'm not advocating for or against it, it's put together in North Carolina, but I don't know if any ingredients are imported.
Maybe a great brand, but I havent heard of them. I would try to vet them. Whats concerning is there is no copper with that much zinc.

One of the better companies, Jarrow, has 1mg of copper for 15mg of zinc in their zinc balance product. Taken with a multivitamin(i would not take them at the same meal), thats plenty. Zalenko in NY has had success(84% fewer hospitalizations vs placebo) with zinc+HCQ which creates zinc ionophores. However you can get the same effect using quercetin/bromelain(sold together)

All you can do is follow the evidence.

Quote:
I don't think any of us know the answers here, some posts are offensive. Nobody knows. But we can probably assume that boosting our D-3 during the winter without sun is probably not a bad thing. As long as taking a supplement does no harm and potentially does good, then it seems like a safe bet.
Evidence tracking page, includes vitamin D. People throw around the "know" word very loosely, but the vitamin D evidence looks pretty good to me.

zinc like vitamin D is a known common deficiency, thats why people are recommending it. If you eat plenty of vegetables, you dont need quercetin b/c thats where it comes from.

There is ton of research out there for quercetin as anti-cancer so great product to take anyway imo.

Fauci recommended 1-2 grams of vitamin C a day. Your white blood cells feed off vitamin C and their count rises significantly when sick. if you look back at noodlecats post, animals can make 50grams+ of vitamin C when sick.

Old 02-17-2021, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I take all of the above and am fine. Been fine, expect to be fine in the future. Not only have I not contracted COVID, I have not been sick for years.

I just added D3, Zinc and NAC - prior to this past year and my checked levels of D3 by my doctor, I was only taking vitamin C.
There is some concern extended use of NAC promotes cancer. I think its a great product, but I would cycle it or wait for symptoms. Really good reports of nebulizing covid patients with it and glutiathione as well.

Old 02-17-2021, 10:56 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,612,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom623 View Post
Maybe a great brand, but I havent heard of them. I would try to vet them. Whats concerning is there is no copper with that much zinc.

Fauci recommended 1-2 grams of vitamin C a day. Your white blood cells feed off vitamin C and their count rises significantly when sick. if you look back at noodlecats post, animals can make 50grams+ of vitamin C when sick.
I eat a tangerine just about everyday, and with other foods I like such as avocados, I'm not worried about my vitamin C. As long as I'm in a safe range and not under, I'm good. Same goes with the supplement I purchased. I'm probably low in D-3 because I live in the midwest. The zinc, don't know if I'm low but seems it won't hurt me. I understand this supplement should have also had the copper to help the zinc be absorbed, oh well...already purchased it so going to take it even without the copper.
K2 is supposed to help with cancers and cleaning out bad stuff, so again, as long as it doesn't hurt me, I'm ok with taking it. I was mostly after the D-3 when I purchased this, immune boosters, the zinc and K2 were ok that they were thrown in the mix.

Old 02-18-2021, 09:52 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,634,657 times
Does this honestly surprise anyone THAT much, though? I thought maybe Zinc helped, based on some early speculation, but Vitamin C is the most overrated thing ever. I bet you 80% of Americans think Vitamin C keeps them healthy and reduces the length of colds, but no research has ever found any sort of real benefit. The closest I found once was a study that showed it might lessen the duration of a cold... by 6 hours, but they admitted it was well within the margin of error. LOL.

Don't get me wrong, you need vitamins, but if you're looking for the magic vitamin, it's Vitamin D. Studies have shown it can reduce mortality rates by 60-90% and even just ignoring Coronavirus, it's incredibly essential. I really only had one "medical confusion" or scare in my life and it was in my 20s. I spent 9 months extremely tired, low energy, couldn't figure it out. First two doctors told me stupid things like AIDS (not joking!), depression (yeah, I'm depressed I'm so tired! But other than that I was happy!), finally hypothyroidism. I even went on medication for that. It didn't help. My third doctor laughed at the diagnosis, said he didn't believe that for a second in a healthy young person, told me to toss the medication (I asked if I could just put it aside lol), and he'd see me in two weeks for a fresh lab. I come back two weeks later, "You have low Vitamin D. You tested 15/100. You should be at minimum 30 but really 60. You are extremely, dangerously low. It's $10 for 90 tablets at any store. There, you're cured." He was a hilarious doctor, he really put it about like that, and sure enough I started taking Vitamin D and I felt great, like my old self again. It supports the immune system but beyond that bone health and tendons / ligaments. Most Americans are Vitamin D deficient. If I could preach to anyone about what to do for their health that's so easy, take Vitamin D. Unless you're always outside regularly maybe 5 days a week, then fine, you don't need supplementation. I am outside almost every day for 6-7 months, but I take it the rest of the months of the year and maybe 3 times a week even during the 6-7 nice months because I just don't want a repeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness