Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2021, 02:47 AM

6,948 posts, read 6,872,488 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if anyone can point to a possible cause of this pain/ache I have in my upper arm. It is worse (5 or 6/10) in the morning on waking up and feels like a dull ache when I move my arm across my chest or lift it up and down. It is centred around 6 inches down from my right shoulder approximately one third the way to my elbow. Throughout the day it gets better (2 or 3/10) but is always there when I move that arm in a certain way and not there at all when I move it in other ways.

The only thing I can think of for this ache is that it might possible be a blood clot but I have never had one of those so I dont know what one feels like. It feels to me like the ache originates quite deep in between some arm muscle - hopefully not in the bone. I have had it for about a month now.

Background probably not relevant: 6 years ago I had a pacemaker fitted (on the right side) and the doctor was pretty rough pushing it up under the right chest muscle. Since that time I have lost a lot of muscle tone so the pacemaker itself is near the surface now. However, I do not think that has anything to do with this ache because the pacemaker is nowhere near my arm (3" above my right nipple) and the leads go to the left (obviously towards the heart!)
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2021, 05:44 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
Don't overthink it. It's probably tendinitis.

I've had a similar pain in my upper arm for 3 months. Can't sleep because every time I roll over I have to find a comfortable position and there are none.. Hurts when I move it in certain ways. Some days worse than others. Finally broke down and visited an orthopedist. He declined to give me a steroid shot because he feels that makes tendons more brittle. Instead I am going for PT. It' better work fast because I'm tired of this.

Old 02-02-2021, 01:16 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Don't overthink it. It's probably tendinitis.

I've had a similar pain in my upper arm for 3 months. Can't sleep because every time I roll over I have to find a comfortable position and there are none.. Hurts when I move it in certain ways. Some days worse than others. Finally broke down and visited an orthopedist.
Agree.

Remember Occam's Razor: if two explanations account for all the facts, the simpler one is more likely to be correct.

Another way to think about it: "If you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras."

Pain due to tendonitis is often worse after a period of inactivity (such as first thing after getting out of bed in the morning). Once the tendon/muscles get warmed up the pain tends to ease off. Gentle stretching before getting active can help. OTC anti-inflammatories and icing your arm several times a day after using that tendon can help get the better of tendonitis.

If this was me, I'd look up the anatomy of the upper arm and try to pinpoint which tendon/muscle could be the culprit. Then I'd research stretches and gentle exercise that target them and start a regimen. Start taking some anti-inflammatories and ice the area as often as I can especially after exercise.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-02-2021 at 01:25 PM..

Old 02-02-2021, 04:56 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,872,488 times
OK, thanks for the help. I will try that and as you both say it is probably what it is.

Old 02-02-2021, 07:56 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,902,551 times
I've recently discovered Voltaren (probably because its available without an Rx now) and I'm never going to let myself run out of it.

The generic versions work just as well. I've tried all the other topical pain creams, most have effects so mild I'm not even sure it's working, but using voltaren is night and day. YMMV.

Old 02-03-2021, 02:25 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times
I have / had the same exact issue. I traced it to, of all things, a new pillow. The position it forced me to sleep in tweaked the nerves in my arm. It took a few weeks to make the connection, but it started getting better as soon as I went back to using my old pillow.

Old 02-03-2021, 02:36 PM

8,757 posts, read 5,053,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I have / had the same exact issue. I traced it to, of all things, a new pillow. The position it forced me to sleep in tweaked the nerves in my arm. It took a few weeks to make the connection, but it started getting better as soon as I went back to using my old pillow.
A pillow can make your life miserable. I changed mine, and had a sore neck. I now sleep with a towel folded, under my pillow, for just the right hight.

Old 02-03-2021, 04:05 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,386,497 times
Where would seeing a doctor fit into this scenario? Or at least a chiropractor.

Old 02-03-2021, 05:43 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
A pillow can make your life miserable. I changed mine, and had a sore neck. I now sleep with a towel folded, under my pillow, for just the right hight.
If it were my neck, it would make more sense, and I would have figured it out sooner. But I sleep with my arms under the pillow (usually), and the angle if my head on the new pillow must have strained my arm enough to cause the pain.

Old 05-07-2021, 08:07 AM

1 posts, read 835 times
Default Yeah

You are right friend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness