Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 01:23 PM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Many doctors disagree with this status quo big pharma statement.

“...over the past century, our culture has defied this biological drive, has smeared the urge for salt as a self destructive “addiction”. We’ve all heard the guidelines. We know that we’re supposed to eat low fat diets, say no to cigarettes, go for a jog, learn to relax—and dramatically cut down on salt. This list of admonitions certainly gets a lot of things right. But there’s one big problem with it: most of us don’t need to eat low salt diets. In fact, for most of us, more salt would be better for our health rather than less.”
Saying "You should cut down on salt" doesn't mean "you should eat a low salt diet." If I said to someone, "you should cut down on your carbs" that doesn't mean "You should move to a low carb diet."

The potential for not getting enough salt, is pretty low. Salt is good stuff...it flavors and preserves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2021, 02:57 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Saying "You should cut down on salt" doesn't mean "you should eat a low salt diet." If I said to someone, "you should cut down on your carbs" that doesn't mean "You should move to a low carb diet."

The potential for not getting enough salt, is pretty low. Salt is good stuff...it flavors and preserves.
But of course it does. The standard daily amount of salt established by the medical community is woefully lacking. So even following that actually is a low salt diet. That is the whole problem. We actually need to increase our daily recommendation of salt intake. And that is where the divide occurs.

Old 02-24-2021, 06:09 PM

Quote:
But of course it does. The standard daily amount of salt established by the medical community is woefully lacking. So even following that actually is a low salt diet. That is the whole problem. We actually need to increase our daily recommendation of salt intake. And that is where the divide occurs.
Lacking for who? Me at 35 at 6’3 and overweight, moderately active? My MIL who is 5’1, my FIL who is 5’10 but runs 15-20 miles a week in the coastal southeastern humidity? My dad that putters around his house and walks the dog 1 block a day?

Everything on the “standard daily” recommendations is going to vary from person to person.

Old 02-24-2021, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Lacking for who? Me at 35 at 6’3 and overweight, moderately active? My MIL who is 5’1, my FIL who is 5’10 but runs 15-20 miles a week in the coastal southeastern humidity? My dad that putters around his house and walks the dog 1 block a day?

Everything on the “standard daily” recommendations is going to vary from person to person.
That’s just it, salt is lacking in most of us no matter who you are or what size you are. Try reading what the doctors quoted above have said about it. Sounds like you need more information instead of old yardstick ready objections. Read through it before you make up your mind.

Old 02-25-2021, 12:15 PM

Quote:
That’s just it, salt is lacking in most of us no matter who you are or what size you are. Try reading what the doctors quoted above have said about it. Sounds like you need more information instead of old yardstick ready objections. Read through it before you make up your mind.
Americans get plenty of salt. I suppose the Dialysis centers that are seemingly all over the place are just another big pharma plot?

Americans make a lot of bad dietary decisions, but not all of them are illogical or stupid in their basis.

People like food that doesn't spoil, Americans like food that's convenient. Both of those things require salt, broadly speaking.

Want to preserve meat? Cure it in one way or another, usually in a smoke house, with salt, sugar and spices. Bacon? Yep. Jerky? Yep.
Sausage, from German Bratwurst to Cajun Boudin, from Italian Salami to Chinese Lap Cheong, Thai Sai ua to North African Merguez.

Fish? Traditional English Kippers, Salmon smoked to preserve, pickled fish, all involve salt.

Veggies? Most of them too. Hard to can without it.

Asian cuisine? Can you imagine eating at a Chinese or Japanese place that didn't use soy sauce or Terriyaki or FIsh sauce? Lots of salt.

Trying to cut calories? rather than mayo and ketchup, I use mustard. Lots of salt. It's all over.

Old 02-25-2021, 02:09 PM

1,386 posts, read 998,530 times
Quote:
Gary Taubes is an investigative science and health journalist that wrote an article detailing the outmoded beliefs of salt here, called “Salt, We Misjudged You”

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/03/o...bout-salt.html
I remember Taubes talking about salt is his book, Good Calories, Bad Calories (great book by the way). He seemed to think it was the typical American high carb diet that was to blame for HBP. Indeed, he seemed to think the entire American epidemic of metabolic syndrome was the result of the typical western (high carb) diet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
But why was that published in the "Opinion" section of the NYT and not "Science" or "Health"?
Because it was an Opinion piece. Taubes is the first to admit he doesn't have all of the answers, because as he's pointed out so many times, nutrition science is sorely lacking. He pointed out that there really isn't a lot of actual hard science that backs the claim that salt causes HBP (just as he claimed in Good Calories, Bad Calories that there wasn't a lot of hard evidence that saturated fat caused disease).

What I found more interesting is his discussion of dogma in the scientific world. Once something has taken root in science, whether or not it's backed up by real science. it's very difficult to challenge that dogma. Once "high fat=bad for your health" took root as dogma, it's proven virtually impossible to dislodge. Even after it's been shown that there is virtually no science that backs it up.

--

Old 02-25-2021, 04:30 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
I remember Taubes talking about salt is his book, Good Calories, Bad Calories (great book by the way). He seemed to think it was the typical American high carb diet that was to blame for HBP. Indeed, he seemed to think the entire American epidemic of metabolic syndrome was the result of the typical western (high carb) diet.

Because it was an Opinion piece. Taubes is the first to admit he doesn't have all of the answers, because as he's pointed out so many times, nutrition science is sorely lacking. He pointed out that there really isn't a lot of actual hard science that backs the claim that salt causes HBP (just as he claimed in Good Calories, Bad Calories that there wasn't a lot of hard evidence that saturated fat caused disease).

What I found more interesting is his discussion of dogma in the scientific world. Once something has taken root in science, whether or not it's backed up by real science. it's very difficult to challenge that dogma. Once "high fat=bad for your health" took root as dogma, it's proven virtually impossible to dislodge. Even after it's been shown that there is virtually no science that backs it up.

--
Sure look at all the people drinking a gallon of water a day and running to the bathroom every hour - those folks are hilarious. And I'm not gonna eat a pound of bacon or a dozen eggs every day.

So you can say there's not a lot of support that salt is bad for you...I can say I've not seen anything saying that high sodiium is good for you...I'm certainly not gonna start loading up just to spite the nose on my face and thumb my nose at the supposed doctors aghast at me.

How about "the middle way is best". People have to go to extremes - either all or none. That way of thinking get's you in trouble almost every time...ha.

Old 02-25-2021, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Sure look at all the people drinking a gallon of water a day and running to the bathroom every hour - those folks are hilarious. And I'm not gonna eat a pound of bacon or a dozen eggs every day.

So you can say there's not a lot of support that salt is bad for you...I can say I've not seen anything saying that high sodiium is good for you...I'm certainly not gonna start loading up just to spite the nose on my face and thumb my nose at the supposed doctors aghast at me.

How about "the middle way is best". People have to go to extremes - either all or none. That way of thinking get's you in trouble almost every time...ha.
If you haven’t seen anything about salt being good for you then read the doctors I’ve discussed here. Find out. There are many doctors bucking the low salt trend.

Old 02-25-2021, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Americans get plenty of salt. I suppose the Dialysis centers that are seemingly all over the place are just another big pharma plot?

Americans make a lot of bad dietary decisions, but not all of them are illogical or stupid in their basis.

People like food that doesn't spoil, Americans like food that's convenient. Both of those things require salt, broadly speaking.

Want to preserve meat? Cure it in one way or another, usually in a smoke house, with salt, sugar and spices. Bacon? Yep. Jerky? Yep.
Sausage, from German Bratwurst to Cajun Boudin, from Italian Salami to Chinese Lap Cheong, Thai Sai ua to North African Merguez.

Fish? Traditional English Kippers, Salmon smoked to preserve, pickled fish, all involve salt.

Veggies? Most of them too. Hard to can without it.

Asian cuisine? Can you imagine eating at a Chinese or Japanese place that didn't use soy sauce or Terriyaki or FIsh sauce? Lots of salt.

Trying to cut calories? rather than mayo and ketchup, I use mustard. Lots of salt. It's all over.
No Americans don’t get enough salt. Read these doctors. It’s one thing to just blindly believe the status quo and parrot the party line. It’s another to find new research and learn something new.

Type 2 diabetes is all about carbs and sugar. It can be totally reversed by cutting out all grains, sugar and most fruits. Low carb high fat. Start reading buddy! And of course big pharma is behind it. Who makes any money if diabetics change their diet and get healed—without medicine.

Last edited by Kayekaye; 02-25-2021 at 08:06 PM..

Old 02-25-2021, 08:19 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:

Quote:
If you haven’t seen anything about salt being good for you then read the doctors I’ve discussed here. Find out. There are many doctors bucking the low salt trend.
Aaaaaaannnnnd once again - extreme much? I never said salt was NOT good for you - yes, yes, YES - you need a certain level of salt - and most people have nooooo trouble at all reaching that. Why do I need to eat 3 tsp. a day regardless of whether my plasma level indicates it is low? What were your sodium plasma levels when you decided you needed to "salt up"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness