Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 01:32 PM

61 posts, read 66,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Schools vary so much in Covid precautions. A young relative, in 1st grade, attends a school that is extremely covid safe (at least as safe as possible). There are only 10 children per class. The school is held 100% outdoors (under a variety of tents, open sided building, covered shelters, huge playground area and a large grassy area). Masks (staff and students) and social distancing are strictly enforced. Temperatures are taken each morning when the students & staff arrives. Arrival & dismissal times are staggered. And, every child (and their entire family) is tested twice a week for coronavirus.

OTOH, I know someone who teaches in a school where is was crowded even before the pandemic, with 30 preschool/kindergarten children and two teachers and a teacher's aide in one classroom. While the staff tries to keep the children apart (at least a little) they are frequently shoulder to shoulder. The school tries to follow some preventative measures, such as frequent handwashing, staggering arrival and dismissal times and spending an extended people of time outdoor (one and a half hours every day, rain or shine). The adults wear masks but the children do not.

As far as I know, in each of those significantly diverse classroom, none of the staff or students have developed coronavirus

I agree.
I talked to my kid's pediatrician and was told that after 10 days, the chance that my family adult members spread the virus is low. Regarding safety at school, to her it's a separate issue and it's still flu season. She has no comments how the Los Angeles school district would do to avoid kids got covid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2021, 01:45 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,235,771 times
Then it is up to you to learn about your school's protocols and how you feel about them. Also consider how compliant your children would be with the restrictions.

You can stop worrying about them getting it at home from you. There for 16 hours or 24 hours makes no major difference.

Old 03-04-2021, 02:30 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Then it is up to you to learn about your school's protocols and how you feel about them. Also consider how compliant your children would be with the restrictions.

You can stop worrying about them getting it at home from you. There for 16 hours or 24 hours makes no major difference.
I agree.

Old 03-04-2021, 04:51 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbienoob9 View Post
Hello All,
My family lives in Los Angeles county, San Gabriel valley. The school where my TK and 2nd grade boys are going gives us options: the kids either go to school this March 22 OR continue to stay home doing the distance learning. These two kids will go back to our home in San Gabriel valley from their aunt' house in Arizona (they left our house since early January, way before we got infected). They are currently healthy. My family members, though (my parents, myself and my sister) all got sick of Covid last Feb 14 (tested positive on Feb 15). We all have recovered but the doctor said the virus is still in our bodies for 90 days since Feb 14. Should we send the kids to school or let them stay in our home?
If they stay at home, they will interact with us (we have masks on and try to avoid the kids as much as we can). If they go to school, they still interact with us after school time.
Continue to stay in Arizona is not an option as my wife would lose her job if she stays in Arizona with the kids. She got to be back. Thanks for your inputs.
Your worries should be:

1. For your kids/ are you still contagious. And:
2. Would your kids be exposing other kids at their school to your covid.

I don't think the doctor meant that you would be contagious for 90 days ... 90 days is the expected time for you to have measurable antibodies present.

You didn't say when the kids are returning home, meaning; when they would be exposed to you?

You also can't "avoid your kids as much as you can" ... you have to parent your kids. It will have been 5 weeks between when you tested positive & when school starts. As long as you are recovered & it's in-line with the school's policy, your kids can be in school. My son has been in-person learning this entire school year (since last August). Always in a mask. There have been a grand total of 3 cases so far, none serious & this is a school with a 100% severe needs population (meaning kids that need tube-feedings, injections, blind, high-schoolers who need diaper changes, etc ...)

Old 03-04-2021, 05:46 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times
14 days isolation. before it is safe to leave the house and go into school.

Old 03-04-2021, 10:10 PM

2,140 posts, read 361,502 times
Ask CDC perhaps or check their FAQ section?

https://www.cdc.gov/cdc-info/ask-cdc.html

Last edited by paperwing; 03-04-2021 at 10:12 PM.. Reason: I am not doctor

Old 03-04-2021, 10:59 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,851,777 times
Quote:
My main question is I don't want my kids to get infected by either our family members (the virus is still in our bodies) OR other kids at school. All it takes is one kid got infected and boom.
Not really. It rarely spreads at a school. Our kids have been in school since November. Despite occasional children coming to school and testing positive later, not a single case of transfer between kids at school has happened.

And none of them have gotten sick with anything at all this year, which is nice.

Old 03-05-2021, 05:40 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
My main question is I don't want my kids to get infected by either our family members (the virus is still in our bodies) OR other kids at school. All it takes is one kid got infected and boom.

I had covid. Once you have tested negative and 10 days have passed I have been told you won't pass the virus to anyone. I have never heard anywhere that you can infect others for 90 days. That makes no sense. If that was the case people would be quarantining for 90 days not 14.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness