Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2021, 09:38 AM

1,386 posts, read 991,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
He wouldn't be allowed anywhere near me or MY family, until then.
Withhold the nookie. Solid strategy. I'd be in line with my sleeve up in a New York minute.

--

Last edited by Bill790; 03-05-2021 at 09:55 AM..

Old 03-05-2021, 09:39 AM

3,333 posts, read 2,294,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Just to be fair to the OP I want to mention that the “polarization” on the issue is not only due to politics and not only in the US: the vaccines hesitancy is manifesting itself everywhere in the world today.
Maybe tomorrow - is not so much.

Some people just may need a little bit more time to make a decision regarding their healthcare.

Not everyone who has a bad knee is choosing the knee replacement surgery due to multiple reasons.

We should not try to make it political.
Hope we are still free to make up our mind here.
Being open with data and factual beats a blind assurance all the time for some people.
Seriously? The bold/underlined part...

People have had a YEAR to make a decision about their health care with regards to a vaccine. Last March there was no vaccine, and it was announced that Rx companies were in the process of developing them. People have had since that moment to start deciding.

You decide a lot quicker than that what insurance company to use when it's open enrollment season. You decide quicker than that when you experience some kind of pain or malady that you're not familiar with, whether or not to see a doctor about it.

You decide quicker than that when you have a raging infected abscess under your tooth, whether or not to go to a dentist about it.

People don't need a year to decide whether or not to get vaccinated.

Old 03-05-2021, 09:46 AM

3,186 posts, read 2,391,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrob View Post
I'm holding off on taking the Covid vaccine right now, because of my gut feeling about it. (My gut always steers me right).

But my wife keeps bugging me about it, because she's getting hers, and her family has gotten theirs, and showing their proud moments on Facebook, so my wife has fallen for the hype.

She's telling her friends that I'm "scared" of getting it. I'm not scared, I'm just not ready to take it yet.

I'm fed up with it, and I sort of starting to feel like an outcast with her family now.

Anyone else going through this right now?
What is your gut feeling? I have had both shots as has my husband. Several friends in their 80s have had both shots. None have had any issues except one who was sick for a couple of days with the first Pfizer shot. On the recommendation of his doctor his second dose was Moderna as they are similar in concept and he had no reaction to the second one.

There is no hype your wife is falling for. Perhaps when you see she has nothing more than a sore arm and perhaps chills or feeling sick for a few hours you will get one. I will tell you that the relief you get two weeks after the second shot is amazing. I was never really overly concerned, I masked up and we went to restaurants that weren't crowded but now if there are more people than before I am not concerned.

Or maybe you would rather wait for J&J and that is ok too.

Old 03-05-2021, 09:47 AM

3,014 posts, read 2,210,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
I'm not getting the vaccine unless I am forced to do so by my job and/or government. I got COVID, and it was at best a three day cold that was a minor annoyance and gave me 2 and a half weeks of staying at home while getting paid. I'm sorry for people that have died and or gotten really sick from it, but I was able to easily withstand it. Why would I even consider a vaccine? Are you all going to go out and get vaccinated for every strain of cold that is out there should they develop a vaccine for them? It would add up to thousands.
You know there are other strains floating around, right? More virulent and have been documented in people who already recovered from COVID previously. Maybe factor that into your decision-making.

Old 03-05-2021, 09:56 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,735,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrob View Post
I'm holding off on taking the Covid vaccine right now, because of my gut feeling about it. (My gut always steers me right).

But my wife keeps bugging me about it, because she's getting hers, and her family has gotten theirs, and showing their proud moments on Facebook, so my wife has fallen for the hype.

She's telling her friends that I'm "scared" of getting it. I'm not scared, I'm just not ready to take it yet.

I'm fed up with it, and I sort of starting to feel like an outcast with her family now.

Anyone else going through this right now?
You're being foolish, and selfish. Your getting the vaccine helps to protect everyone around you, in addition to yourself. So go ahead and get it, for your wife's safety, if not for your own. Scientific data is not "hype". 500,000 have died, and many more have suffered terribly. I had 12 hours of misery after my second dose. I surely do not want to go through a much worse couple of weeks of suffering, or potentially longer, and die. So stop being a stubborn fool and get vaccinated!

Old 03-05-2021, 10:00 AM

15,243 posts, read 12,859,019 times
Quote:
If I had the means and it was my husband pulling that crap, I'd tell him fine - he needs to decide if he will live in his own apartment somewhere else, or will he live with me in an apartment somewhere else. Until the CDC says all is well. No visitations, no divorce, no nothin. He can isolate until the CDC gives the all clear.

Exactly.

Old 03-05-2021, 10:06 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,980,897 times
Quote:
Shaming is definitely not going to work.

If I had the means and it was my husband pulling that crap, I'd tell him fine - he needs to decide if he will live in his own apartment somewhere else, or will he live with me in an apartment somewhere else. Until the CDC says all is well. No visitations, no divorce, no nothin. He can isolate until the CDC gives the all clear.

LOL, wut? This logic makes no sense. So you will get the vaccine but then you're worried about him causing someone in your family to contract it even though it sounds like you and the rest of the family will be getting it? The point of getting it is to help prevent yourself from contracting it. So if YOU have it, it shouldn't matter that he DOESN'T. Make sense? I've heard other says this as well. Seems odd. If you get it, you shouldn't worry about whether someone else did or didn't get it.

Old 03-05-2021, 10:18 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,071,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
LOL, wut? This logic makes no sense. So you will get the vaccine but then you're worried about him causing someone in your family to contract it even though it sounds like you and the rest of the family will be getting it? The point of getting it is to help prevent yourself from contracting it. So if YOU have it, it shouldn't matter that he DOESN'T. Make sense? I've heard other says this as well. Seems odd. If you get it, you shouldn't worry about whether someone else did or didn't get it.
Wish I could rep you again . I've heard this "logic" a lot, too. "I'm getting vaccinated but I don't wanna be around people who aren't vaccinated" (or similar statements) LOL what's the point of the vaccine then?
Quote:
Shaming is definitely not going to work.
Shaming has never worked through any of this. People sure love to keep trying, though.

Last edited by BrianGC; 03-05-2021 at 10:26 AM..

Old 03-05-2021, 10:31 AM

18,940 posts, read 43,348,635 times
Everyone in my dept at work was offered the vaccine, and very few of us signed up to get it. Most were scared to death of it.

Old 03-05-2021, 10:44 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,308,881 times
Quote:
Seriously? The bold/underlined part...

People have had a YEAR to make a decision about their health care with regards to a vaccine. Last March there was no vaccine, and it was announced that Rx companies were in the process of developing them. People have had since that moment to start deciding.

You decide a lot quicker than that what insurance company to use when it's open enrollment season. You decide quicker than that when you experience some kind of pain or malady that you're not familiar with, whether or not to see a doctor about it.

You decide quicker than that when you have a raging infected abscess under your tooth, whether or not to go to a dentist about it.

People don't need a year to decide whether or not to get vaccinated.

Ok, I bite!

I am glad that you don’t have any health issues to be so adamant in simplifying the decision to take a vaccine- or not.
It is not always about some abstract “freedom” of choice- or having “a whole year to make the decision” - it could be a myriad of rational as well as perhaps irrational reasons. We do provide medical care for people who are afraid of heights or spiders, or to step on a crack in the pavement, aren’t we?

Below is just one of the general reasons that may potentially cause avoidance

Health concerns regarding various nanoparticles - I on purpose have found you a pre-COVID resource to avoid politics.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6164883/

And nobody is denying the fact that some? all? vaccines contain nanoparticles.
https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-f...-idUSKBN28F0I9

The above may not matter that much to people in their last decade of life, but what if you are a young person with decades ahead of you and a potential for child rearing?
Have you thought of people with the various health conditions and concerns?

Personally, I am not going to blame anyone for selecting what is right for them regarding a choice of vaccines, the timing, or if they choose to not vaccinate at all.

( I don’t feel that it is my neighbor/co-worker, etc. job to protect me even if I am vulnerable - it is always my personal responsibility to protect myself)

We should be more understanding and show less of the self entitlement - others do not have an obligation to perhaps jeopardize their health/wellbeing in order to protect you/society.
They must bear the appropriate consequences for them obviously as well: they may not be able to go out, visit a grandma at the assisted living, fly, take a train, take classes- whatever the society decides-which is what it should be.

Last edited by Nik4me; 03-05-2021 at 11:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness