Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2021, 05:46 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,694,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrob View Post
I'm holding off on taking the Covid vaccine right now, because of my gut feeling about it. (My gut always steers me right).

But my wife keeps bugging me about it, because she's getting hers, and her family has gotten theirs, and showing their proud moments on Facebook, so my wife has fallen for the hype.

She's telling her friends that I'm "scared" of getting it. I'm not scared, I'm just not ready to take it yet.

I'm fed up with it, and I sort of starting to feel like an outcast with her family now.

Anyone else going through this right now?

Don'ever forget the saying, Who knows better you Mom or your Wife ? ?

Old 03-05-2021, 06:34 AM

3,057 posts, read 2,034,410 times
sirrob

I'm a great believer in gut feeling but mine has been wrong on occasion. I believe "gut" is the unconscious mind who cannot talk just send feelings. When faced with a dilemma of gut vs. left brain I ask myself what is the worst that can happen if I do one or the other. Yes that analyzation is a left brain action but it does examine whether this it's an emotional or analytical choice.

We do not know everything about the vaccines but we do know that Covid can be deadly or cause life-long issues. Your family is providing you some safety because they are inoculated. And they should be safe from you if you are a carrier. But what if one of them got Covid and maybe because of you? What if you got Covid and had to be taken care of by your wife?

Once you examine where your gut feelings are coming from and what the consequences are you should stick with it until you feel differently. I do not agree with your wife words to shame you and hope you are exaggerating. I got my shot as much for my husbands health as for mine since I don't go out much and always masked. If he got sick I do not want to be the cause.

Old 03-05-2021, 07:21 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,007,643 times
Wow OP, I'm so sorry about your wife nagging you about the vaccine. I would trust your gut in this case. My wife and I won't be getting it. I know the media and other "trusted sources" say the vaccine is completely safe and there's no reason to even be remotely concerned about it but we, like you, are not jumping to conclusions. If you do your research you will find concerns from doctors about the ramifications of the vaccine, both short and long term. I wouldn't do it... but, I get why your wife is nagging you. Seems the loudest voices these days have the most "common sense". As someone who's had covid, I would have it again before getting the vaccine.

Old 03-05-2021, 07:31 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
Quote:
I'm holding off on taking the Covid vaccine right now, because of my gut feeling about it. (My gut always steers me right).

But my wife keeps bugging me about it, because she's getting hers, and her family has gotten theirs, and showing their proud moments on Facebook, so my wife has fallen for the hype.

She's telling her friends that I'm "scared" of getting it. I'm not scared, I'm just not ready to take it yet.

I'm fed up with it, and I sort of starting to feel like an outcast with her family now.

This isn't a medical question, but a political one. There would never have been a question about getting the vaccine or wearing masks if the country had not become so politically polarized. It is up to you whether you want to look at it as a medical/health issue or stand up for your so called freedom of choice.

Old 03-05-2021, 07:32 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Sure OP, you can do whatever you want to with your own body. And...don't think there won't be consequences so weigh those carefully. Other folks/family/whatever have their opinions about wanting to be around or near someone who hasn't had the vaccine. You may not get to do some things like travel or have certain medical procedures, etc. You can dig your heels in and do whatever but expect others to react accordingly.

Old 03-05-2021, 07:48 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,331,793 times
I'm not getting the vaccine unless I am forced to do so by my job and/or government. I got COVID, and it was at best a three day cold that was a minor annoyance and gave me 2 and a half weeks of staying at home while getting paid. I'm sorry for people that have died and or gotten really sick from it, but I was able to easily withstand it. Why would I even consider a vaccine? Are you all going to go out and get vaccinated for every strain of cold that is out there should they develop a vaccine for them? It would add up to thousands.

Old 03-05-2021, 08:11 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
I'm not getting the vaccine unless I am forced to do so by my job and/or government. I got COVID, and it was at best a three day cold that was a minor annoyance and gave me 2 and a half weeks of staying at home while getting paid. I'm sorry for people that have died and or gotten really sick from it, but I was able to easily withstand it. Why would I even consider a vaccine? Are you all going to go out and get vaccinated for every strain of cold that is out there should they develop a vaccine for them? It would add up to thousands.
How long do you think your immunity will last from having Covid-19? I think we will be receiving additional shots in the future both for the different variants and because the immunity will wear off.

You seem to think you have a strong immune system that will fight this virus off in the future. The problem with that train of thought is you may have been exposed to a very low virile load resulting in a mild case. See: https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4763 and https://www.medpagetoday.com/infecti.../covid19/88692

Old 03-05-2021, 08:13 AM

6,865 posts, read 4,863,645 times
My nephew was two weeks in the hospital with Covid. A guy I knew with no underlying conditions died from it. My niece said when she had it that it felt like she was burning inside. Unfortunately I am not old enough to get a vaccine yet in my State. I live in anticipation of being able to get a vaccine as soon as I am eligible. I am healthy, I don't think covid will kill me, but I don't want to be sick. The last cold I had was at least four years ago - I don't want one of those either if I can avoid it.

Vaccinations have been around a long time. It's not new science. My gut says it's a good thing, even if the only vaccine available is the johnson and johnson. I'll take what I can get. I would like a return to normal life. I am not afraid of a vaccine.

If you don't want one you shouldn't have to get one. Your wife should leave you alone about it. You should do her the courtesy of living in a different part of the house and not riding in an car with her or being around her without a mask.

Old 03-05-2021, 08:25 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
You seem to think you have a strong immune system that will fight this virus off in the future. The problem with that train of thought is you may have been exposed to a very low virile load resulting in a mild case. See: https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4763 and https://www.medpagetoday.com/infecti.../covid19/88692

Ouch. That's a low blow...

Old 03-05-2021, 08:27 AM

14,945 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:

Geez, sounds like your wife is virtual- signaling with bragging on FB about getting it, and that's at least partly why she is acting that way. Maybe she is concerned over your health in not choosing to get the vaccine, but IMO acting like she is a participant in FB vaccination competition would really turn me off in your shoes.

I'd ignore her if you really feel that strongly about not getting the vaccine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness